Winter Court 2018

By Soshi Saibankan, in L5R LCG: Organized Play

I know other platforms are talking about this, but I felt it important to post on FFG's forums as well, should it be seen.

I found the casting and general coverage to be stellar. I really do hope this continues in the long run. Having Tyler and the other pro players like MindsDesire and Fro commentating was awesome. From an entertainment perspective it was easier to understand the plays and fill in the thinking and card shuffling gaps. But for a player perspective, it's really nice to see how competitive players think and play. How they answer certain situations or use certain effects in creative ways.

Even if there were judge mistakes, I don't think it's an issue. Sports always have dubious referee calls or missed penalties that they didn't see. Nobody is perfect and I don't think we should expect it, only strive for.

I feel really excited about the game following Worlds. The fact Crane clan made it through is just good for the game, to know that in a year's time 5/7 clans got their time to shine, and to be fair Pheonix was also very competitive. It shows just how the game is balanced and players are always scratching at the meta. The changes of RL and Role Selections show that the designers are always looking to improve as the game matures.

Looking forward to 2019 ! :)

I'd just like to add that despite some misfires beforehand (specifically, the deck list deadline should have gone up at the same time as the schedule to allow people to plan their travel accordingly), the event felt very smoothly run and markedly better than last year. The events were spaced out nicely, and the prize support was excellent. Great job, FFG.

Except for the Crane player who won turned out to be a bog hag and won the tournament so they could bring down the Crane clan by choosing the vanity art duelist as a way to shame the clan forever........

#rumorhasitooooooh

Props to Pablo for both picking a good role and picking a good story choice. Also good on him getting to the top 8. Losing to Kingsley is an acceptable loss :) Good showing all around Crab. Especially considering we were getting rated toward the bottom of the pack going into Worlds.

Edited by phillos