Patrol monster movement

By divrg, in Arkham Horror

I didnt see any rules explaining movement of patrolers if two areas have the same amount of doom. I used a dice to randomise movement. So the atleast moved. Next turn i did the same so it will atleast move and in that way block areas for investigators movement. Did i miss anything in the rules?

If you have two equal targets for patrol movement, first priority goes to the closer location, if the distance is the same, the group gets to choose.

Rules Reference 202.2g

Edited by mwmcintyre

What about after a gate burst? Because you shuffle all event discards into the back of the holder but there is no current event card until doom spreads. So there is no unstable location for patrollers to go to. Do they stay in place?

From memory, if there's no event card on the discard pile, the starting space becomes the unstable space (check under "unstable space" in the rules reference to confirm),

Bitterman is correct, the rules reference is 493.3

Just a small nitpick about monster movement. This weekend we had a "rules lawyer" playing in our group, and strangely enough, there is nothing that states how monsters move. It states their destination space, but nothing about how it gets there. The person in my group was arguing that the monster could take a longer path around the board since it was still moving towards the destination space. I had to spend about 15 minutes reading through both books trying to find something as simple as "monsters take the shortest path to their destination", but there was nothing. Fortunately the others in the group backed me up, and the guy managed to grudgingly go along with the "shortest path" implied rule.

Yeah. That is the problem with two rulebook. The other gives you basic and other ”everything” else and it takes some time to find those exact points to all rulelawyers ;)

3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

Just a small nitpick about monster movement. This weekend we had a "rules lawyer" playing in our group, and strangely enough, there is nothing that states how monsters move. It states their destination space, but nothing about how it gets there. The person in my group was arguing that the monster could take a longer path around the board since it was still moving towards the destination space. I had to spend about 15 minutes reading through both books trying to find something as simple as "monsters take the shortest path to their destination", but there was nothing. Fortunately the others in the group backed me up, and the guy managed to grudgingly go along with the "shortest path" implied rule.

Thats some horrible attempts att breaking the game...Why would monsters even have "destinations" is the players can move them about freely?

Nitpicking words to try and break the game, clearly against what is intended or even logical, is just something I cant understand. I can somewhat understand it if playing a competitive game in tournaments and the likes but this is a cooperative game against the game itself, why try and cheat it?

It's clearly nonsensical to make the monsters take the long way around; but it's very common indeed to have two possible routes of exactly the same length, and it's pretty poor for the game not to give guidance on which they should take. Suppose one route has an investigator on it, the other doesn't. Which way does the monster go?

Some games (e.g. Imperial Assault when playing with the app) say "if in doubt, do what's worst for the players" - so the monster would engage the investigator. Others say "the players can choose", putting power in the hands of the players - so they'd make the monster avoid the player. This game says... nothing. It really should give some kind of clue as to how you're supposed to play it.

202.2f Only ready monsters activate. Engaged and exhausted monsters do not activate. (See rule 453.2.)

202.2g If multiple spaces could be a monster’s destination, the space closer to that monster takes precedence. If one or more of those spaces are the same distance from the monster, the players as a group choose which of those spaces is the monster’s destination.

Players' choice. Lead Investigator breaks ties.

Edited by Duciris

That's only the destination space, though. Still doesn't say what route the monster will take to get there.

I mean, the players as a group choose the destination if distances are a tie... but does that mean they also choose the route it takes to get there? I suppose it must, but it doesn't say that.

22 hours ago, Daedalus said:

You can't move towards something if by moving you move away from something: moving towards means move along the shortest space in the direction of your destination space. If the destination space is equally distant from the monster's starting position (i.e. you count spaces) then moving direction X or direction Y is the same. But if one trajectory is at least one space longer, then if you move in that direction you're "moving away" from your destination space, not "moving towards".

Under 0 Golden Rule :

004 If an effect has multiple possible outcomes, the outcome is chosen by the players as a group. If multiple effects would occur at the same time, the players as a group choose the order in which those effects resolve.

If a monster moves, then all of its pieces of that movement are the effect of that movement. If a monster would move 2 spaces along a possible path toward a destination and there are 2 or more valid paths to that destination, then the players choose.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:11 PM, Duciris said:

f a monster moves, then all of its pieces of that movement are the effect of that movement. If a monster would move 2 spaces along a possible path toward a destination and there are 2 or more valid paths to that destination, then the players choose.

Yeah, as long they are both moving towards, i.e. they are long the same number of spaces (not so sure if you were countering my point, or adding a specifics, sorry :) )

13 minutes ago, Julia said:

Yeah, as long they are both moving towards, i.e. they are long the same number of spaces (not so sure if you were countering my point, or adding a specifics, sorry :) )

Adding. It's going to travel the shortest distance. If there are multiple paths that are, then it's dealer's choice.

Fully agreed :) Thanks for clarifying, Duciris