HOTE - The Realm of the Dark Side question [mild spoilers]

By kerrymartin, in Imperial Assault Campaign

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. First time posting, and I'm not sure if this question should be here or in the rules forum.

There are two things in one of the finale missions for HOTE (The Realm of the Dark Side) that are not clear to me. I'm playing the Imperials, and want to make sure I get it correct.

1. The first point in the mission briefing says, "A hero can interact with a terminal to claim it. After he does, that hero may test perception or mechanical. If he does not succeed, increase threat by 1." Is there a typo in there? Is "may" supposed to be "must"? Why would the hero ever attempt the test? He has nothing to gain and could possibly give 1 threat to the Imperials. Or, is there supposed to be some sort of reward if he passes the test? There was something similar in a previous mission, and the hero would gain +1 surge on every attack if he passed the test and claimed the terminal.

2. After the door to the temple opens, I am instructed to deploy the reserved elite probe droid to the Streets. Every other deployment instruction indicates a specific deployment point. This one does not. There is a red deployment point in the Streets. Does it mean that? If so, why not specify that, like it does every other time?

Thanks for any input!

Hmm, for number 2, I'd say go ahead and deploy it to any space on the Streets tile.

Usually the game specifies deployment points, but every once and a while it allows for a little more freedom. Descent almost exclusively handles deployments this way.

1. "may test" is used because a hero might be focused and thus doesn't want to perform an attribute test to retain focused for later use. A test not taken automatically fails (does not succeed), so not testing means a threat increase.

· Some abilities give a figure the option of whether or not to perform an attribute test. If that figure chooses not to perform the test, it counts as not having succeeded at that test.

2. A deployment may be to a named deployment point or to a named tile. (If not defined, to an active deployment point.) In the "streets" case it is several tiles. Choose a space on "Streets" where the figure can end movement and deploy there.

· Deployment location is determined by named tiles or icons, such as deployment points, on the map.

Also see http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/TheConsolidatedImperialAssaultRules.pdf

Edited by a1bert

Thank you, subtrendy2 and a1bert. Your answers make perfect sense.