Bombardment and Heroes

By LastDesperado, in Horus Heresy

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I have already a question concerning the rules of HH.

In the "Combat Iteration Example" from page 29 the "Thunderhawk" inflicts damage to the Hero "Fabricator General" BUT on page 36 under "Thunderhawk Bombardments" it is written that such a bombardment damage never affect Heroes.

So I believe that the "Combat Iteration Example" is incorrect. Am I right or not?

But I'm still eager to have the game because I love the HH Novels! ;-)

I agree.

Either the example is incorrect, or Thunderhawk bombardment can injur heroes.

Don't think that neither "Orbital Bombardment" nor "Thunderhawk Bombardment" will have an affect to heroes. I think the example is wrong. I've already read that in the old game it was the easiest way for the traitor to bomb the palace and kill the emperor. So I think without an actual "FAQ" that no bombardment damage will be inflicted to heros.

This error makes me a little bit angry. The only 2 disadvantages I experienced about FFG are that they are making a poor job as far as their final lectoring of the stuff is concearned and the lack of proper storage for the pieces.

Ok, the proper storage of the pieces, tokens and plastic figures is only a cost factor. And if FFG want's no change of that, ok I still want to play their games and buy my own boxes of plastic for the tokens.

But it starts to annoy me to buy expensive games with print errors or obvious failures originated from laziness. Don't get me wrong mistakes can happen to everybody! But Horus Heresy is not the first game with complex rules they released and the gamers have shown an ability to find in every game a situation which is not covered properly by the rules. So the lectures should already know to look for those and check that the exaples in their rulebooks match the actual rules!

So why doesn't the company make a "beta status?" Post the rules online and everybody has the opportunity to aks their questions and send them to the team. So they have enough data to clearify the rules and the gamers have already an impression from the game they are interested in!

Although I just took a curosy glance at this thread, I think I can solve the problem...

The example you're talking about involved a thunderhawk in direct combat with the hero and his units, as opposed to a bombardment card.

Combat's handled with combat cards and thunderhawks can participate in this type of combat... they're not just there for bombardments.

Bombardment is handled with the bombardment deck and, as such, is a different mechanic.

I think the rules (at least in this case) are consistent.

You may want to read the example again. It clearly states: "He plays " Rain of Death," draws a bombardment card ... etc"

Haynams said:

Although I just took a curosy glance at this thread, I think I can solve the problem...

The example you're talking about involved a thunderhawk in direct combat with the hero and his units, as opposed to a bombardment card.

Combat's handled with combat cards and thunderhawks can participate in this type of combat... they're not just there for bombardments.

Bombardment is handled with the bombardment deck and, as such, is a different mechanic.

Haynams said:

Not as I understand it. The example clearly says that "In the fourth iteration, the Traitor player is active. He plays “Rain of Death,” draws a bombardment card, and refers to the “Thunderhawk” result: “2 Damage per Thunderhawk” (see “Thunderhawk Bombardments” on page 36). [...] The Traitor applies both points of damage to
the Fabricator General, since no defending units remain, and the Fabricator General’s Hero damage marker is moved two points down the Hero damage track."

Page 36 instead says that "Thunderhawk bombardments arise due to special effects on combat cards." as in the example above and "Thunderhawk bombardment damage never affects Heroes."

So the traitor triggered a special effect as a bombardment. So the Fabricator General shouldn't get any damage from the bombardment. He should have gotten 1 regular damage (because the card causes 1 damage) which is reduced by 1 through the fortification. (only 1 not 2 because a flying unit participate in the fight).

Am I right or do I not understand the bombardment rules?

Your sighting two different things.

Normally your correct, bombards can't affect heroes. Also, in fortification damage from bombardments is reduced by two. On page 29, the damage from a Thunderhawk bombardment, your referring to, is the result of a cards special effect . The special effect happens to say "draw a Thunderhawk bombardment card". Thats why the hero is damaged (and damage wasnt reduced cause he was in a fortification).

No, you can clearly see the Combat Card in the example. It does not say "draw a Thunderhawk bombardment card". Instead it says "Resolve a Thunderhawk bombardment".

That means you resolve a bombardment acording to normal Thunderhawk bombardment rules. And these rules say that heroes are not affected by Thunderhawk bombardments.

redsimon said:

No, you can clearly see the Combat Card in the example. It does not say "draw a Thunderhawk bombardment card". Instead it says "Resolve a Thunderhawk bombardment".

That means you resolve a bombardment acording to normal Thunderhawk bombardment rules. And these rules say that heroes are not affected by Thunderhawk bombardments.

I did my post based on memory. Your right. This needs to be addressed. I was thinking there might be a difference, but in the rules it says combat cards generate Thunderhawk Bombardments. So, a Thunderhawk Bombardment should be a Thunderhawk Bombardment (with rules applied).