Unofficial Fixes-- Why not just vote on one or two?

By Mandalore of the Rings, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Title sort of explains it. Lots of talk about fixes and unplayable figures and new squads/cells etc. Why not just do it then? It wouldn't be "official" but it could be some other "unofficial player voted" level or something. The winning fig or figs could be "legal" for everything but FFG official tournaments. Maybe it's a silly idea but why not? At least we could see which one we all wanted most to be fixed (even if it never did get fixed).

So, I love what cnemmick has done with his fixes. How about to keep it simple we just vote on 1 or 2 of his changes. Maybe even just one to start with. Vote on another every season or something. You could have a subsection in Tabletop admiral for the 2 or 3 unofficial but fan voted fixes...

Dumb idea? Might be fun.

Also, I'm not really sure how to go about it. I've seen little survey things embedded in these posts before... Maybe someone knows how to add one... We also may want a limited pool (not every single fix cnemmick did). Like 6 or 7 to choose from? I also feel Rebels have gotten a lot of love lately with SC (which I personally like). Maybe we should do a Merc or Imp to counter that love. Here are some ideas:

Boba Fett

Dengar

Kayn Somos

Royal Guard Champion

Inquisitor?

Fenn?

To keep it simple we could just vote on cnemmick's fixes (not our own ideas-- that might get crazy pretty quick)

Thanks for the vote of confidence @Mandelore of the Rings ! I should take this moment to share a few things:

1) If you haven't seen my fixes, they're here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSo0jH4u_q1OZitrGSj_m_IH-rGe1gieuVCjngVdgMk/edit?usp= drivesdk

Several of the fixes aren't just my creations. They've been forged through the comments of the IA community. So any feedback you have is helpful.

2) Currently I still think my fixes are still in beta. Also I'm still not 100% sure if I want them to be reprinted skirmish cards or skirmish upgrades (like Focused on the Kill, etc.). I'd like that to be solidified first before the community votes on making anything official.

3) Once the community does lock in one or more of these changes, I want to make sure we all have the understanding that using the fixes is a choice and not something we apply to official FFG OP events.

For the Zion's Finest tournament that used the skirmish fixes, we actually created a separate Vassal IA Skirmish module with the fixes replacing the original cards. I'm looking to update that module soon for the next round of public testing.

Edited by cnemmick

The Zion’s Finest Vassal tournament was an incredible way to do this. The fixes show up easily there and it got us a large player base without people having to drive or fly to a distant event. I’d strongly encourage that direction again.

Maybe name the Vassal mods something different, like “Fan-Made IA?”

I’ll be ready to vote and contribute to this topic once the game officially ends. Until then, it’s just fun for a side event. I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet

4 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

I’ll be ready to vote and contribute to this topic once the game officially ends. Until then, it’s just fun for a side event. I’m not ready to throw in the towel just yet

I was sort of feeling the same way, which is why I've been experimenting lately with new skirmish upgrades and command cards making older figures playable. I'm not in any way trying to build squads to win big tournaments. In fact, most who know me know that I'm about the game and having fun. I do more organizing and cheer leading for IA than I do trying to play competitively.

I'm happy to play with old jank figures as long as it's fun. E-web engineer, not fun for example. In saying that, I find that @cnemmick has some great ideas for fixes. I've also seen some good ideas from @thatjakeguy .There is nothing stopping us from using these unofficial fixes. I'd like to see some playtesting, which I'm happy to help with and can report back.

13 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I was sort of feeling the same way, which is why I've been experimenting lately with new skirmish upgrades and command cards making older figures playable. I'm not in any way trying to build squads to win big tournaments. In fact, most who know me know that I'm about the game and having fun. I do more organizing and cheer leading for IA than I do trying to play competitively.

I'm happy to play with old jank figures as long as it's fun. E-web engineer, not fun for example. In saying that, I find that @cnemmick has some great ideas for fixes. I've also seen some good ideas from @thatjakeguy .There is nothing stopping us from using these unofficial fixes. I'd like to see some playtesting, which I'm happy to help with and can report back.

They did a tournament using these fixes on the slack channel, and i think they're planning on another in the somewhat near future. That might be right up your alley

2 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

They did a tournament using these fixes on the slack channel, and i think they're planning on another in the somewhat near future. That might be right up your alley

They did? I must have missed that somehow, which is crazy because I'm on here every day (much to most people's dismay LOL). My buddy and I had so much fun this past weekend using "jank" that we're going to do it monthly. That is that you MUST play with 2-3 deployments that don't get played. You'd be surprised how NOT terrible most of them really are with the right support (upgrades, cards, trait synergy, etc).

We used to be hardcore into another FFG game where you "fly" rarely seen little star wars spaceships with mostly unknown pilots. They did not succeed very well in my opinion with bringing in upgrades that allowed you to play with older ships and/or iconic characters. So they went ahead and made a 2.0 version. I know people are clamoring for that with IA, but I really don't see the struggle being as real as it was with that game. I really think IA is in a well balanced place with lots of room to open up more design. I think the struggle is more a sales and marketing one by FFG more than anything.

@NeverBetTheFett I'll make sure you know when the next Fixes tourney starts.

11 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

Yeah, I'm totally jumping the gun here, I admit that, I just got excited reading over cnemmick's file and thought we should just do it! Just vote for one... We keep (at least I keep) coming on here checking for news of new IA stuff, when we could make our own. But yeah, it might be too soon. I am also not ready for IA to end and hope/believe we will get more stuff soon. Also, I don't even have all the current released stuff, so yeah, jumping the gun.

I hope it didn't sound like I think IA is going to be discontinued soon or something... I just thought regardless, we could vote on one new fix and it would be a fun community thing where we take some ownership and possibly agree on a cool fix to help deal with SC!

Also, sounds like Saska would be another popular one to fix. What do you think is the weakest faction right now? Maybe that's the one that would have needed someone fixed from it... Seems like Vader is still doing well, as are Rebels with SC... maybe Mercs need a boost...

8 hours ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I must have missed that somehow, which is crazy because I'm on here every day (much to most people's dismay LOL).

Yeah, I read a lot of stuff on here too and I only get to play about once or twice every two weeks, so in between I have fun discussing this stuff with y'all. Thanks. I don't think your comments dismay anyone. I keep considering trying Vassal but haven't yet... maybe over the holidays. I'm sure I'd get crushed every game but I would still have fun with weird janky lists. I don't know if it's more fun making the lists or playing them... Probably the latter.

I have actually printed out most of the fixes as paper cards, although I did have some variant ideas regarding some of the units (ex. I have alternate fixes for Boba Fett and Royal Guards). The unofficial-fixed units are lot of fun to play with and iirc there was a vassal tournament with those fixes, confirming they work pretty well

10 hours ago, Mandelore of the Rings said:

I keep considering trying Vassal but haven't yet... maybe over the holidays. I'm sure I'd get crushed every game but I would still have fun with weird janky lists. I don't know if it's more fun making the lists or playing them... Probably the latter.

Same here. I'm tempted, but I got into this game to meet people and be social (and fell in love with the painting aspect). I'm know totally pre-judging as I haven't tried vassal yet, but I feel it would be too much like playing a video game. I'd get totally sucked in and never leave my house! I already live in a big cold city, so being stuck indoors may make matters worse! LOL

I avoided it when I was big into x-wing too, so I don't mean to offend anyone. Just not sure it's for me. I think some day I may give it a try, but it would also mean an upgrade at home! My laptop blows.

Still, I'd love to watch the videos and be involved somehow, even if it means I'm not playing. I do have a good network of IA buddies who'd LOVE to try out the fixes in person, so I'm always down to report back on that.

20 minutes ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

Same here. I'm tempted, but I got into this game to meet people and be social (and fell in love with the painting aspect). I'm know totally pre-judging as I haven't tried vassal yet, but I feel it would be too much like playing a video game. I'd get totally sucked in and never leave my house! I already live in a big cold city, so being stuck indoors may make matters worse! LOL

Haha, I totally understand! Vassal requires a little learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you can find games with a whole lot of us!

@brettpkelly made a really great tutorial on Vassal recently:

Edited by cnemmick

We have a house rule that allows Vader's card to be applied to the Royal Guard Champion. No one has been brave enough to try it out, but I think that might make him usable.

LOL! That opening of your video is awesome. Thanks for the demo. @brettpkelly

Perfect for dummies like me. I will be giving it a try soon. @Kenseventy wanna get me started in January when you visit? I hear you're good with computers.

Edited by NeverBetTheFett
8 hours ago, Jaric256 said:

We have a house rule that allows Vader's card to be applied to the Royal Guard Champion. No one has been brave enough to try it out, but I think that might make him usable.

"Usable" is relative, RGC is still good by itself it's just that he's been overshadowed by those newly released figures (especially after Wave 8), see this thread for example:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/286003-heavy-troopers-and-tuskens-underpowered/

the new figures are just outright better than the old ones in every way, FFG wants to make more sales too so I'm guessing we'll only continue to see more of this trend

if you're playing at home, I tend to draw 3 lines: Wave 1 - 5, Wave 1 - 7 and everything released so far, the ones that are deemed "unplayable" in tournaments are still very playable in their own section (ex. Leia, and RGC, Bantha are still great if we only play Wave 1 - 5 with eRebel Trooper battling rStorm/eStorms)

Edited by ricope