Halloween Fiction 2018 - Small Mercies

By Duciris, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

So much Falcon Clan love. The Yotogi! Blue lanterns! Red lanterns! A mysterious lady in the forest! Ghosts! Sacred swords (would have preferred spears, but I'm an odd purist on that one)!

As always, Spooky does not disappoint.

@sndwurks Now we need a Toritaka School, nod, nod, hint, hint... ? ?

Have I mentioned how happy I am that this is the same guy that writes all the Phoenix fictions?

Edited by Tabris2k
8 minutes ago, Nheko said:

@sndwurks Now we need a Toritaka School, nod, nod, hint, hint... ? ?

I'm workin' on it, I'm workin' on it!

Such Falcon goodness.

If this is how we have to take our Minor Clan stories (in individual snippets that don't stick to the wider narrative, but which are thematic and awesome in their own right), so be it!

Also cannot begin to say how happy I am that the tradition of Halloween fictions endures.

1 hour ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Such Falcon goodness.

If this is how we have to take our Minor Clan stories (in individual snippets that don't stick to the wider narrative, but which are thematic and awesome in their own right), so be it!

^ This!

Falcon were my first love in old5R so I am happy to see them get a few words and better yet be shown as competent samurai. Interesting to see the revision that they already have the Toritaka name. I was expecting it, that being a clan with no family name seeming a quirk too far for new5R, but cool to see it confirmed.

For my mind, it was too short to be an effective ghost story "oh and he was a ghost the whole time" but it was a really good glimpse into a Minor Clan with a mission different to what the Great Clans are responsible for.

4 hours ago, DarkHorse said:

I was expecting it, that being a clan with no family name seeming a quirk too far for new5R, but cool to see it confirmed.

They decided to give that to the Mantis this time around.

10 hours ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

Such Falcon goodness.

Also cannot begin to say how happy I am that the tradition of Halloween fictions endures.

9 hours ago, Nheko said:

^ This!

Which is fair enough, and I agree wholeheartedly. Show us the minor clans, and potentially show the impact of the world on them, but - Mantis aside - don't make them the ones dragging the story around because they're not big enough to do it. From the down-in-the-weeds perspective of the RPG rather than the LCG, minor clans aren't going to be shaping the 'world' - they shouldn't be; they're 'minor' for a reason, but they're characters and individuals that 'normal-level' PCs can realistically interact with in a way they're not going to with Bayushi Shoju or Doji Hotaru.

They're still a clan daimyo with (at some point) Hantei's personal imprimatur and as such awesome in a way a 'normal' samurai can't be but they still exist around the feet of the big seven and allow comparatively earthshattering plots (up to and including miniature wars, assassinations and creating or destroying clans) without messing up the world as a whole and/or invalidating an LCG players core set selection of characters.

Also - didn't register Better To Be Certain was a Halloween fiction.

I like the Falcon clan, like Spooky's writing, and like that they continue this tradition of Halloween L5R fiction. What's not to like about this story. It was pretty short, but I'm not sure how much further that premise could have been stretched. That was probably just the right length. I hope we get more snapshots of life in the minor clans for the new continuity.

8 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

They decided to give that to the Mantis this time around.

To be fair, the Mantis also didn't have a family name in Old5R until the Second Day of Thunder and its ascension to being a Great Clan.

17 minutes ago, Hida Jitenno said:

To be fair, the Mantis also didn't have a family name in Old5R until the Second Day of Thunder and its ascension to being a Great Clan.

Pre Second Day of Thunder most of the minor clans didn't have family names on cards at all. There were a few exceptions like Moshi Wakiza who started as unaligned characters in the base set and were reprinted with Yoritomo's Alliance and a new minor clan with Crimson and Jade but the majority were just a single name. It was post Day of Thunder that they started printing clan names as the Mantis were recognized as a great clan and took the Yoritomo family name and he had the Wasp start taking the Tsuruchi Family name and they started adding more lore through the RPG side for the other minor clans.

#totallynotavirus

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:12 PM, Tomycooler said:

So much Falcon Clan love. The Yotogi! Blue lanterns! Red lanterns! A mysterious lady in the forest! Ghosts! Sacred swords (would have preferred spears, but I'm an odd purist on that one)!

@sndwurks is creating a home-brew falcon clan school for the RPG and came up with a rather nice thought on that front; making the 'sanctify your weapon' technique a ritual which targets a sword, which goes away if you hit a non-otherworldly opponent. That means that Falcon bushi would, most of the time, use yari as a preferential weapon because they're keeping their katanas sheathed to deal with stuff which isn't vulnerable to mundane weapons.

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

@sndwurks is creating a home-brew falcon clan school for the RPG and came up with a rather nice thought on that front; making the 'sanctify your weapon' technique a ritual which targets a sword, which goes away if you hit a non-otherworldly opponent. That means that Falcon bushi would, most of the time, use yari as a preferential weapon because they're keeping their katanas sheathed to deal with stuff which isn't vulnerable to mundane weapons.

*Kitsuki method activated*

Mmmhhh... seeing that @Tomycooler just quoted the first post and then just reposted exactly the same words that @sndwurks posted in the second post, and also taking into account those weird links to torrents sites he posted in the middle of the quote, and given that he has just this one post in his FFG account, I’d say he’s clearly not a L5R fan just giving his opinion.

On 11/8/2018 at 5:27 AM, Tabris2k said:

*Kitsuki method activated*

Mmmhhh... seeing that @Tomycooler just quoted the first post and then just reposted exactly the same words that @sndwurks posted in the second post, and also taking into account those weird links to torrents sites he posted in the middle of the quote, and given that he has just this one post in his FFG account, I’d say he’s clearly not a L5R fan just giving his opinion.

Por que no los dos?