Hedge shroud

By Jukey, in Runewars Rules Questions

Looking for clarification, hedge says you use the number of natural runes as your defense. I read this as the natural runes replace your current defense, rather than stack.

Example, if you armor up a darnati unit and have 3 green runes, you can choose to have your existing 2 armor (due to armor up), or 3 by tapping hedge. You do not get armor 4 for having the armor up plus natural runes, correct?

That's how I read it.

What about losing defense? Let's say your unit with Hedge Shroud is attacked by a unit with The Duskblade. They spend 2 surges to reduce your defense by one for this attack. You then trigger Hedge Shroud. Does that erase The Duskblade's effect. I think nit because The Duskblade says, "for this attack." But hypothetically, what if The Duskblade didn't have that clause?

I am also with you on that reading of Duskblade. I'm not sure I want to venture into the hypothetical "if it didn't have that clause." There's just no end to that rabbit hole, and rules questions are posed in this forum precisely because actual wording is ambiguous to at least one (and usually more than one player).

9 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

What about losing defense? Let's say your unit with Hedge Shroud is attacked by a unit with The Duskblade. They spend 2 surges to reduce your defense by one for this attack. You then trigger Hedge Shroud. Does that erase The Duskblade's effect. I think nit because The Duskblade says, "for this attack." But hypothetically, what if The Duskblade didn't have that clause?

I'm sure this isn't found in the rules, but my take on the order effects are applied in is:

1) Find your defense This is when the Hedge Shroud comes into effect
2) Apply modifiers This is when the Duskblade comes into effect

So while Hedge Shroud couldn't return a 2-defense creature back to 2 defense, if you had three green runes, you could nudge your defense up to 3, which would drop back to two. Why you would give hedge shroud to a 2-defense creature, nobody knows, but I've seen odder things happen in my life.

What happens if no green runes are up and you use hedge shroud; does the unit drop to defense 0 and die?

Curious, because sometimes I'd rather a whole unit die to open a path for a late charge than have 1 tray survive and block everything.

54 minutes ago, Darth Matthew said:

What happens if no green runes are up and you use hedge shroud; does the unit drop to defense 0 and die?

Curious, because sometimes I'd rather a whole unit die to open a path for a late charge than have 1 tray survive and block everything.

Hedge Shroud is "may exhaust" -- so you're not forced to use it.

2 minutes ago, kaffis said:

Hedge Shroud is "may exhaust" -- so you're not forced to use it.

Correct. And if we have no green runes and I choose to exhaust it, what happens?

Sorry, did you add the second line? Because I could have sworn I hadn't read it. ;)

1 hour ago, Darth Matthew said:

Correct. And if we have no green runes and I choose to exhaust it, what happens?

I guess your defense drops to zero. Some skeltonizing insects must have defoliated your hedge shroud.

After your defense drops below 1, rule 24.2 kicks in which states that if a unit's defense value is less than 1, it is treated as 1.

20 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I guess your defense drops to zero. Some skeltonizing insects must have defoliated your hedge shroud.

After your defense drops below 1, rule 24.2 kicks in which states that if a unit's defense value is less than 1, it is treated as 1.

Thanks, that was the rule I was missing.

Another question; how long does hedge shroud last?

Both visored helm and shield wall state "for this attack". Hedge shroud does not.