Is the rule book all i need?

By TheSoberPug, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

You don't need the fancy dice. The book in your link has a conversion chart for standard dice. However, you'll find converting numbers-to-symbols is slow, cumbersome, and frustrating. I strongly urge you get at least one set, or the dice app.

I agree with @kaosoe . While you “can” covert regular dice, having a few sets of the actual Narrative dice works out so much better. The other option is to use a dice rolling app or an online dice roller, such as orokos.com . But, other than that, yes, all you “need” is the core rule book.

Thanks

Also, since it wasn't mentioned yet, if you pick up a Beginner Game you'll get a set of dice. It's really a nice cost effective way to get into the game. You get starter rules, a starter adventure, a map for that adventure, a bunch of reusable cardboard tokens of characters and Destiny points, a set of dice, and pre-gen characters which are great for new players who won't know what's good for a build in the system. There's also a free follow-up PDF adventure on this website you can use to continue the beginner game, whether with the pre-gens or custom characters. While the PDF assumes you played the starter adventure, you could easily adapt it to something else if you wanted to run it separately.

That said, you will want the full core rulebook as the beginner game simplifies a few rules and doesn't have character generation information, or many items/weapons. The core rulebook also has an adventure at the end of it.

I highly recommend starting with a beginner game if you've never played before, but then be ready to buy the full core book really soon if you like it.

I'd second the suggestion to get the beginners set, it's comes with a set* of dice, and includes a bunch of other helpful swag for running the full game. Beyond that, yeah, all you need is the core book.

*The MRSP $15 dice set they sell is basically a half set, which has always struck me as a bit scammy. There's a dice rolling app for $5 on the Google store. It's a better deal if you don't want to buy a beginner's set.

So I can play one adventure using the beginner set but to get the full experience I need the core rule book?

34 minutes ago, TheSoberPug said:

So I can play one adventure using the beginner set but to get the full experience I need the core rule book?

Technically two adventures if you download the follow up adventure. Otherwise yes.

I'd also recommend picking up a beginner set or two. You're going to need more than one set of dice and the price difference between the beginner sets and the dice packs is pretty small. Totally worth it. Not to mention they all come with some pretty useful maps, even if you don't run the adventure. A full color yt-1300 map comes with the Edge Set that's a perfect fit for most groups ship. The Age of Rebellion one comes with a pretty cool Imperial Facility that you could use however you'd like. I don't own the F&D one, so I'm not sure what comes with that one, but judging by the others, it's probably something pretty cool. They all come with a bunch of tokens too.

There are some rules disparities between the core books and the beginner set though, so if you'll definitely need to pick one of those up. If you can only get one, I recommend going with the one that seems the most appealing to your group, but you can't go wrong with Edge of the Empire. Just a warning, once you get hooked you are going to want all of them... ALL OF THEM!!!!

Edited by ghatt
23 hours ago, TheSoberPug said:

I guess you could technically use the rules in the beginner set to write your own adventure, but... yeah, you're waaaayyyyy better off getting the book for that.