How balanced is the core set for casual skirmish play?

By Gerontius, in Imperial Assault Skirmish

Hello there,

I just got into Imperial Assault with some friends. We're mostly interested in the campaign side of things, but we've also done a few skirmishes, and I really like having skirmish as an option if we're missing campaign players. What do you think about the balance of the core set figures (with erratas)? Are all three factions viable, and are there any figures we should avoid?

We'll probably get an expansion/ a few blister packs eventually. Any tips for keeping our casual skirmish meta balanced?

they introduced the temporary alliance in the core set because it wasn't real balanced. Either way its definately fun.

It depends on how evenly you manage to distribute the contents inside of the box, but I guess it's not particularly well balanced. But the boxes are all stackable and mine have never fallen over, so I urge you to buy some expansions.

Edited by Fourtytwo

I found Imperials stronger if you use only the core box but with heart of the empire fixes the Rebels will get a good chance.

With either jawa or a few rebel packs and alliance you can build mercenary armies based on strong units from different factions, which is quite cost-efficent.

Core can be fun on its own but not really balanced. Jabba makes it a bit oneshot snipers and the rest is quite obsolete ( except lothal wich i don't know much about)

I would recommend heart of the empire, jawa and 1-2 more blisters (preferrably droids), though merc armies will be like a junkyard with some creatures/trandos then.

I say just start playing. You’ll figure out where it’s lacking balance and will be able to adjust with blisters if you decide that you like the game mechanics enough to keep playing

I'd worry about having 2 good sets of command cards if you only have 1 core. I'd def put the money into a bigger box expansion like Jabba's realm or Heart of the Empire. You would get more figures to work with and command cards.

7 hours ago, buckero0 said:

they introduced the temporary alliance in the core set because it wasn't real balanced. Either way its definately fun.

Yeah, I noticed that the merc list is a bit thin without alliance.

2 hours ago, Fightwookies said:

I say just start playing. You’ll figure out where it’s lacking balance and will be able to adjust with blisters if you decide that you like the game mechanics enough to keep playing

I was thinking that this is a cool opportunity for us to develop/curate our own meta! It's just a question of how many mistakes we make on the way...

4 hours ago, NagyLaci said:

With either jawa or a few rebel packs and alliance you can build mercenary armies based on strong units from different factions, which is quite cost-efficent.

Jawa scavenger looks interesting. It is a bit tricky though if we're all sharing figures.

1 hour ago, NeverBetTheFett said:

I'd worry about having 2 good sets of command cards if you only have 1 core. I'd def put the money into a bigger box expansion like Jabba's realm or Heart of the Empire. You would get more figures to work with and command cards.

We were thinking of getting Hoth once we finish the core campaign. I haven't noticed a lack of command cards so far because you get 2 copies of most of them, but I can see that being an issue.

If I was to make a recommendation, I would say that your thoughts on Return to Hoth box and perhaps some hero/villain packs from wave 5 feels lika good ones. The cards in that wave are still on the level that they are not super strong compared to the deployments from the starter box and wave 1 but still adds a lot of variation for all the factions. Later sets are on a different level Power-wise and makes it less fun to set those deployments up against the starter set figures.

Edited by Ram

I think Core set is fine as it is, I like to draw the line at wave 8: pre-wave 8 and post (including) wave 8

Imperial ISBs (Wave 7) vs. Rebel Leia (Wave 5) are on a similar power curve

Rebel eEcho Base Trooper (Wave 5) vs. Imperial eJet troopers (Wave 8) are not

Jumping onto the OA skirmish with the core set bandwagon, I gotta say the two games I’ve played so far have been really fun. We started with the tutorial lists and now just started with making our own. Each game had been very close. Vader is a beast, farm boy Luke is squishy.

I’m wondering what to get next!

On 1/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, BlodVargarna said:

Jumping onto the OA skirmish with the core set bandwagon, I gotta say the two games I’ve played so far have been really fun. We started with the tutorial lists and now just started with making our own. Each game had been very close. Vader is a beast, farm boy Luke is squishy.

I’m wondering what to get next!

I am contractually obligated to recommend getting Greedo because GIA (Greedo is awesome). He also fits nicely into any list (using temp alliance).

I found when I set together my "demo kits" that the additions of ISB infiltrators added a pretty cool dimension to the game. Decent deployments withouit being that far off the power curve from Core set and some command cards that add bit of a a new dimension to the game.

Also, Bossk is a really neat piece to add. With core level power in general, he is a pretty decent queen piece for a scum lineup.

And finally I will also recommend a dude that you really dont need in any way having Vader, but the Royal guard champion is just so much fun to play. I still love fielding that dude.

You can always proxy a few key command cards or the fixes for han, chewie, or vader to make things more interesting with what you have.