FFG: Don't mess this game up

By atkrull, in KeyForge

So got to demo the game for the first time last night and I loved it! Both as a player and a store owner this product is fantastic. It combines everything I love about card games without the hassle of deck building/ gambling for the rare(mythics). I love the chain system, I love the price cost, I love the art.

That being said, please please please don't get in over you head with Keyforge. Let this mature into a great game with good Organized Play and tournament rules set. Please don't turn this game into Dicemasters, or even L5R. Keep it simple. New set every 3-4 months. Keep prices consistent, get a good tournament and organized play base going. Can't wait to play more. Have a great day - Coach

LOL dude they are not marketing the game at all FFG ****s up every release 100% of the time.

I promise shortages will exist at your LGS

I promise FFG will not address the Fringe case rules directly on there forum till after the first official event

Netrunner, STAR WARS: Destiny, X-wing 1.0

All had these problems they never learn, pre order the game now expect a second set to come out before the second printing of the first set. As a result Organized Play will be hit and miss at the start, but stick with it and hopefully the community can keep this game from death.

I mean it is a great game and I "hope" they do not **** it up, but as a marketing professional I assure you I know they are not putting any dollars into promoting release dates or these short stories they have posted, they have not sponsored a single twitch streamer.

So just support the game by buying it and building a good community and hoping that will beat FFG's total lack of organization

On 10/12/2018 at 4:34 PM, [email protected] said:

I mean it is a great game and I "hope" they do not **** it up, but as a marketing professional I assure you I know they are not putting any dollars into promoting release dates or these short stories they have posted, they have not sponsored a single twitch streamer.

Why the **** would they sponser a twitch streamer? There already getting coverage by table-top youtubers. Answer me this....how much top 10 coverage does tabletop games get on Twitch? Im sure the answer is none.

4 hours ago, Hyperjayman said:

Why the **** would they sponser a twitch streamer? There already getting coverage by table-top youtubers. Answer me this....how much top 10 coverage does tabletop games get on Twitch? Im sure the answer is none.

Because you get a lot of Promotion for relativly few bucks. Magic Arena for example gave streamer free oportunities to participate at a Draft with other streamers before the set was released.

15 hours ago, Ignithas said:

Because you get a lot of Promotion for relativly few bucks. Magic Arena for example gave streamer free oportunities to participate at a Draft with other streamers before the set was released.

There's a huge difference between MTG Arena and Keyforge. Namely one is built for online play and the other isn't. Keyforge is not a game that needs to sponsor streamers, as it's not really a game that will get streamed.

6 hours ago, niarBaD said:

There's a huge difference between MTG Arena and Keyforge. Namely one is built for online play and the other isn't. Keyforge is not a game that needs to sponsor streamers, as it's not really a game that will get streamed.

I would argue that one of the selling points of Keyforge is that you can use your decks online. Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to reveal that detail so early. Furthermore the streams and youtube videos from various community members certainly contributed to the hype that was generated with the reveal of the first deck lists.

But even if you take Warhammer Champions you have the exemplar program to reward people for creating content like streams.

14 hours ago, Ignithas said:

I would argue that one of the selling points of Keyforge is that you can use your decks online. Otherwise it wouldn't have made sense to reveal that detail so early  .

??? When was it ever stated that there was an online version of the game? They announced a companion app for tracking stats and finding events, but I don't recall reading anything about online play.

40 minutes ago, Crabhand said:

??? When was it ever stated that there was an online version of the game? They announced a companion app for tracking stats and finding events, but I don't recall reading anything about online play.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2038860/online-play

"Ultimately" as in "not now/can't announce it officially"

It's difficult to pay someone to stream an online videogame that doesn't exist yet.

It would be a huge missed opportunity not to bring this game online. Especially how much their deck-generating algorithm might benefit from all the data. And I'd guess if something, than the robustness of the deck-generating algorithm is definitely a bottleneck for their capability to keep on coming up with content.

I stay optimistic, I hope they are not into misplays. :P

Edited by LordGnarl

I have EXTREMELY high hopes for this game. It does everything I love in card game SANS customization, which I'm okay with. I also adore the art and theme. But, I am very cautiously optimistic for one reason-FFG. Their track record is horrible with new games and continuing support. Plus, they stretch themselves thin with too many community based games to support. Fortunately, they are down to only three competitive cards and I'm not sure how many of the miniature games get much support outside of X-Wing. The elegance of this game and lighthearted theme could do wonders for FFG, as well as it's cheap price point. People of all ages can play it and it requires little investment. But FFG needs to get there marketing and OP in line if they want this game to succeed beyond the first year.