How many sets of dice do you need?

By Garfazz, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

Hey everyone. I am a recent convert to FFG's narrative dice system, and have been really impressed with it. I apologize if this topic has already been discussed, but I haven't had luck finding answers.

I currently own three sets of Genesys dice. Two was enough, but with three it is easy for everyone to have every die they could need, and I can keep a couple as well on the GM side of the table. Keeping this in mind with L5R dice, is one set enough to smoothly play? Or is a second needed? The overall impression I have gotten is that it is a bit more streamlined and simpler then Genesys (big plus for me), so I am hoping that one, maybe two sets will suffice for a table of up to four players and a GM.

As a side question, I am mostly confident the setting can do this, but I wanted to confirm: how crazy anime is this setting and current iteration of the game system? I ask, because I prefer things a bit more grounded, with some mysticism (Like Moribito). Instead of pure high octane energy blast insanity (Like Naruto).

Thank you guys for the help! It saves me and my wallet, haha.

P.S. I have not purchased the beginner set, as I am waiting for a few more reviews, analysis and general feedback on the system before I buy in.

Edited by Garfazz

I ran the beginner set, and we passed around the single set of dice, but I figure the same 2-3 will be the sweet spot. Some for the gm, rest in a pool for the players.

1 hour ago, Garfazz said:

As a side question, I am mostly confident the setting can do this, but I wanted to confirm: how crazy anime is this setting and current iteration of the game system? I ask, because I prefer things a bit more grounded, with some mysticism (Like Moribito). Instead of pure high octane energy blast insanity (Like Naruto).

That depends largely on the level you want to set the game at. Basic characters up to about halfway - school rank 3 - are pretty normal-with-a-sprinkle-of-mysticism (obviously a fairly heavy-handed sprinkle for a shujenga, given their job), but the higher level (4-6) gets a bit more crouching tiger.

For starting characters, one set should be sufficient if everyone shares the common pool, but can occasionally run out. If not sharing, one per person.

For more experienced (rank 3 or so) PC's, sharing needs 2 sets for the table, non-sharing needs 2 per player (same caveats as above).

One may wish to make markers for "showing * results" rather than using dice themselves for that purpose.

Ran the Beginner Game with seven people and got through with the one set just fine (there was one explosion chain that used all ten dice), so I’d say you could comfortably max out at two sets just to be able to share more easily.

6 hours ago, Garfazz said:

We had a longer discussion about this in an earlier thread. The short answer is: this is a fairly narrative-focused game, so however anime-ish, or not, you and your GM agree to describe things.

The longer answer is: