Children of the Empire Spoilers

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

11 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Since it is an Interrupt it becomes playable once all costs (selecting the participants for the first duel are finalized)

This could be rather important too, since the results of the second duel played resolve before the first duel played. There could potentially be change the board state and the participants of the original duel could end up having different stats when the players go back to resolving the first duel played.

3 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Depends if your opponent has to invest to protect theirs going off. If you can say bid 1 while they had to bid 4 or 5 to guarantee the cancel, than swing back and cancel their with a 3 or 4 bid might be worth it for the honor swing, heck even bid 1 again knowing it will be cancelled and score 6 honor from the exchange might be worth it.

That won't happen. If they are playing Defend Your Honor they are likely going in from a position of equality or superiority. Both players choose which personality of theirs is going into the duel and to effectively play DYH the player interrupting needs to have a character that can beat any other character in a Mil duel.

The only way interrupting DYH with DYH does anything is if the interrupting player is playing Crane out of Kyuden Kakita and has yet to use the reaction. In that case it is discarding a DYH in order to honor the personality you will be using to win the original DYH.

1 hour ago, Ishi Tonu said:

This could be rather important too, since the results of the second duel played resolve before the first duel played. There could potentially be change the board state and the participants of the original duel could end up having different stats when the players go back to resolving the first duel played. 

Only if the second DYH would trigger a reaction or trait like Kyuden Kakita. Composure might change in the second DYH but it would end up being redetermined in the first DYH making playing the duel to influence composure meaningless.

Edited by Ultimatecalibur

@UC

I don't disagree that it is optimal for a player with DYH to have an unbeatable character to duel with, but, because it's a reaction to your opponent's effect you don't always have the chance to set it up like you could with policy debate.

Additionally I think we are about to enter an era where people are more willing to take risks with their honor bids and initiate duels when the difference in stats is not so far apart.

I’m gonna try Unveiled Destiny in a Phoenix deck with Kaede and Seeker of Knowledge for sure.

Being able to resolve 4 ring effects on a turn seems fun.

14 hours ago, sndwurks said:

My thoughts on the previews:

Overall - YES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AT LONG LAST, THE IMPERIAL DECK IS MINE! MINE! HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, wait, you wanted more? Oh, okay.

Hantei XXXVIII - Big Daddy Hantei himself. And you can run more than 1x of him in your deck (as "Mythic" is just flavor text). So, let's look at that stat block. Huh. Okay. But I DO like that first line. No Attachments. So. Tasty. And so what if your opponent can make you discard him if they get the Imperial Favor. Other than that one Scorpion, this should NEVER HAPPEN if you have him on the board. Seriously. Four Fate this guy, and watch as your opponent just rolls over you for paying 10 Fate for a very glorious speed bump. On the bright side, he has an awesome Action, and an Interrupt that just... works. I do not know if this will be a card that sees play outside of a wacky theme deck and maybe Shiro Shinjo, but hey. I like it.

Humble Magistrate - Okay, I like your text. But a 2M/2P/2G for 3 Fate for a blanket, limited shut down is not anything to write home about.

Righteous Magistrate - I am so very happy to see the Scorpion Clan have enlisted the aid of the Imperial Families to effectively turn off the Air Ring on the defense. And Banzai. And Assassinate. And Unleash the Djinn. Other than that, I like this guy a lot more than Humble.

Unveiled Destiny - NB4 "2 Fate Attachments are useless!" But seriously. This is probably unplayable because of its Fate cost. A 0 Fate +0M / +0P Attachment that did the same MIGHT have seen play. This is just bad.

Defend Your Honor - Oh. Oh my. Is this a counter-Event that the Unicorn, Crab, and Lion could theoretically run? And the Dragon are just going to run because they can? And is essentially ANOTHER Way of the Crane for the Kyuden Kakita deck, which has the potential to shut down an Event? This is solidly good... and one that adds incentive to running - Mil characters, since they cannot participate in a Mil duel, and thus this card cannot be played because there are insufficient targets.

Overall winner? DEFINITELY the Keepers. Both of the Seeker cards in this are substandard. The real losers? The Support Of Roles.

Wait, wait, there's a Mantis in this preview? Where? Oh, yeah...

Aspiring Challenger - Well. Uh. Good for you, Mantis Clan. This certainly is a card. And is practically worthless, as it is a duel you never want to lose, but to get use out of the Composure, you have to already be winning?

I don't think that Dragon will play Defend Your Honor, because Censure is more reliable atm. I wouldn't be surprised if the two Magistrate will find a place in some decks.

3 hours ago, Ignithas said:

I don't think that Dragon will play Defend Your Honor, because Censure is more reliable atm.

Except on turn one

😛

Edited by Ishi Tonu
31 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

Except on turn one

😛

Yes, but not being able to protect against anything that happens not in a conflict outweights this.

14 hours ago, Ignithas said:

I don't think that Dragon will play Defend Your Honor, because Censure is more reliable atm.

6rZ8g8R_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Seriously, Crane can run VoH, Censure, and DyH. Add Forged Edict with a Scorp splash for the true blue deck of L5R.

Edited by Tabris2k
9 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

I’m gonna try Unveiled Destiny in a Phoenix deck with Kaede and Seeker of Knowledge for sure.

I'm considering it in a dishonour deck with Kudoka and Prodigy of the Waves.

9 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Or you could just play Tskune and resolve a bunch of rings for doing nothing.

3x Waning Hostilities, 3x Warm Welcome to keep chaining WH, so you never have to fight more than one conflict a turn.......

I'm totally doing this. Lol

Edited by Ishi Tonu

3x Waning Hostilities, 3x Warm Welcome to keep chaining WH, so you never have to fight more than one conflict a turn.......

This deck would be perfect in NEL5R Enlightenment!

10 minutes ago, sndwurks said:

This deck would be perfect in NEL5R Enlightenment!

I'm already brewing. I'm still dedicated to win for the pONI, but, once I cross that off my list, I'm totally pushing all the jank lists I've been sitting on......

Until the 9th Kami sees fit to bestow his grace upon us

I also love that Marauding Oni can reasonably defend someone's honor....including assassination attempts in his own life. Lol

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Farts

Doesn't work, WH is a reaction. :(

If you want them to only attack once, play defensive guys like Shiba Peacemaker and other Phoenix defensives (Chikai Order Protector, that monk defender, etc) and just make it so they *could* attack twice, but they'd lose.

1 minute ago, AradonTemplar said:

If you want them to only attack once, play defensive guys like Shiba Peacemaker and other Phoenix defensives (Chikai Order Protector, that monk defender, etc) and just make it so they *could* attack twice, but they'd lose.

I'll still give it a whirl.

I'm just bummed that it won't be extra janky

2 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I'll still give it a whirl.

I'm just bummed that it won't be extra janky

If you do, consider Know the World. Playing defensive like that can give them a lot of free fate, so it helps if you can clear fate off rings.

21 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

6rZ8g8R_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Seriously, Crane can run VoH, Censure, and DyH. Add Forged Edict with a Scorp splash for the true blue deck of L5R.

Because space is tight atm and including DyH would mean cutting Fan, Tmdnf or Banzai, which I think are better cards.

Cancel your date on Valentine's Day people, Children drops on February 14th:

1 hour ago, Ascarel said:

Now at least I can schedule a post-release tournament !

2 hours ago, Ascarel said:

Or just tell her/him you're running out to get them Children.......of the Empire as a valentines present.

5 minutes ago, Schmoozies said:

Or just tell her/him you're running out to get them Children.......of the Empire as a valentines present.

Is this worldwide, or just America?

24 minutes ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Is this worldwide, or just America?

I'm in Canada and advertised dates have always been valid for us -- but I don't really know about overseas markets like Europe.

How romantical :wub:

45 minutes ago, Ascarel said:

I'm in Canada and advertised dates have always been valid for us -- but I don't really know about overseas markets like Europe.

Emerald Empire, for example, was only available in the UK about 4 weeks after its official release date, and I have found dynasty packs could be a week or two late sometimes.

Daisetsu would have made this announcement in rose petals.......

Just sayin