Children of the Empire Spoilers

By Tonbo Karasu, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game

Just now, Mangod said:

So this is what Yoritomo looks like without the fancy helmet. Neat.

He's...uglier than I expected. 😂

14 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

...and balder.

15 minutes ago, Kaito Kikaze said:

“I’m my twenty ugliest men!”

Edited by Tabris2k

Why do you think he wears a helmet?

Yokuni is probably fugly as all Jigoku too..........that's why he says all these cryptic things. It's to distract people from the truth of how ugly he is without his helmet. Normally people would walk away wondering "I bet he's pretty ugly under that helmet" but, Yokuni hits them up with something like "Does the bumblebee survive the winter if he stings the summer ox?" and instead the person leaves cross-eyed, scratching their head, and drooling, trying to figure out what the Jigoku that even means.

Edited by Ishi Tonu

So based on currently previewed cards we have only 5 provinces in this set. I now the initial speculation was the 6-1 of cards in this set would be the Provinces but given we now know there will only be 5 provinces in the set anyone want to start the rampant speculation as to what the 6th one of will be. I know @Tonbo Karasu has updated the opening post with his speculation that it will be the Emperor as a holding, but I seem to recall seeing a mock up of the Emperor that was a character card in one of the foreign press card fans. So assuming the Emperor isn't the last 1 of for the set what do we think the other may be.

Personally I'm still hoping for a Support of the Mantis card that will allow you to play Mantis characters regardless of their Elemental restrictions and hopefully gives either a slight discount or a minor pump to them. The other obvious choice would be a Neutral Imperial Stronghold or Support of Role, but I still feel that may cause issues with the core concept of the game as really none of the clans should be standing up directly to the Imperials and I feel they are best left as a support faction where the clans are jockeying for their individuals support rather than going whole hog in support of a clan.

5 hours ago, Schmoozies said:

Personally I'm still hoping for a Support of the Mantis card that will allow you to play Mantis characters regardless of their Elemental restrictions and hopefully gives either a slight discount or a minor pump to them. The other obvious choice would be a Neutral Imperial Stronghold or Support of Role, but I still feel that may cause issues with the core concept of the game as really none of the clans should be standing up directly to the Imperials and I feel they are best left as a support faction where the clans are jockeying for their individuals support rather than going whole hog in support of a clan.

The "Support of" cards are for Conflict cards, not character cards. And even after this set there will only be 4 Mantis Clan cards in the game as of yet.

As much as I would like an Imperial Stronghold or Role card that can give some boost to neutral Imperial cards, I don't know if we would get that yet. I don't really see the same issues though given that it seems every single Scorpion and now Unicorn story seems to be about how all the Imperial Family members are bad, pathetic, weak, dumb and are easily beaten at their own specialties by the "obviously superior" members of those clans at absolutely everything. If the writers are going to insist on having Clan members engage with the Otomo, Miya and Seppun characters in various contests and defeating them, players ought to be able to play games about engaging in contests using those same families.

I am pretty sure most non-Scorpions are pretty sick of the Scorpion arrogance and stories about them dominating everyone else, it would be nice to hit them back with their own designated punching bags.

On 1/4/2019 at 7:52 AM, Kaito Kikaze said:

The teeth certainly explain why he always wears a mask over his lower face.

Edited by TheHobgoblyn

I'm afraid I don't think it can be a 'Support of' card @Schmoozies , the role cards in the various Clan packs have all appeared before the Dynasty cards, and there isn't any room for that before the Crab.

It's going to be a Shadowlands card

I'm going to draw power from the 9th Kami and speak it into existence.

Shadowlands, Imperial, Bog Hag

4 hours ago, Ishi Tonu said:

I'm going to draw power from the 9th Kami and speak it into existence.

Shadowlands, Imperial, Bog Hag

Nope. Maybe next cycle...or Crab clan pack. 😛

I think it’s gonna be one of the “Limit one per deck” cards. Probably a holding.

I thought it could be Toshi Ranbo, but there’s no room for it, based on the card numbers.

Edited by Tabris2k
15 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

I'm afraid I don't think it can be a 'Support of' card @Schmoozies , the role cards in the various Clan packs have all appeared before the Dynasty cards, and there isn't any room for that before the Crab.

Unless they made it an unnumbered card like the core set Roles cards were. I know it breaks the precedent from the Clan packs but its the only real card that makes sense to me. If its a 1 of holding or character and you're only getting 1 of it that would be very annoying as I may want more than 1 for multiple decks.

16 hours ago, TheHobgoblyn said:

The "Support of" cards are for Conflict cards, not character cards. And even after this set there will only be 4 Mantis Clan cards in the game as of yet.

You did note that I suggested it be used for an alternate effect to void the elemental requirements for Mantis cards and possibly add a boost or discount on said characters as no Mantis cards currently have an influence value that requires the standard support of boost.

Full versions are up

3q34rasm6o821.png

Wait... a Lion card that’s actually good and has synergy with othe Lion cards like My Ancestors Strength or Way of the Lion? There must be some mistake here... (Bullying duel is back, BTW)

rwks1iq76o821.png

This seems solid. Triggering two shrewd Yasuki, Kuni Yori or Kaiu Shuichi in a conflict is good. Fortunately, it cost 3 influence, so other clans can’t abuse it.

But Yoritomo is still ugly AF.

Oh, and extra card:

1qwaju9i6o821.png

Uhhhh... no, sorry. I like the art, and the flavor text, but... no. Just no.

Edited by Tabris2k
51 minutes ago, Tabris2k said:

(Bullying duel is back, BTW) 

Did bully dueling go somewhere? Also, all dueling is bully dueling because you're never going to trigger a duel ability that you aren't going to probably win.

3 hours ago, shineyorkboy said:

Did bully dueling go somewhere? Also, all dueling is bully dueling because you're never going to trigger a duel ability that you aren't going to probably win.

I'm seeing several cases with the CotE duelists and composure where losing a duel could be advantageous. For example, Scorpion players may want to use Loyal Challenger's own duel to blank her when losing a conflict to prevent losing honor from her text.

Edited by Ultimatecalibur
45 minutes ago, Ultimatecalibur said:

I'm seeing several cases with the CotE duelists and composure where losing a duel could be advantageous. For example, Scorpion players may want to use Loyal Challenger's own duel to blank her when losing a conflict to prevent losing honor from her text.

Would be a neat trick, if it worked.
A duel's winner/loser is determined in the step prior to duel effects kicking in.

7 minutes ago, Bayushi Shunsuke said:

Would be a neat trick, if it worked.
A duel's winner/loser is determined in the step prior to duel effects kicking in.

LC loses honor from conflict loss, not duel loss, right?

2 minutes ago, Soshi Saibankan said:

LC loses honor from conflict loss, not duel loss, right?

You, as opposed to me, are correct.
I had it in my head that the win.lose an honor was based on duels.

I stand corrected. :)

Also Smuggling Deal seems to open a pandoras box

It annoys me a bit that Smuggling Deal doesn't require you to jump through as many hoops as Gift of Amaterasu or Subdue the Spirits.

6 hours ago, Uramov said:

It annoys me a bit that Smuggling Deal doesn't require you to jump through as many hoops as Gift of Amaterasu or Subdue the Spirits.

That's the Crab for you direct and to the point

From Art of Warcast latest episode.

Warm_Welcome.png

They mention they have another spoiler in the episode, so if somebody’s gonna listen it, and feels like sharing, please do.

This card is so good in so many levels. Basically you can recurse anything at +1 cost, and makes bidding much more important (for drawing and for duels)

Edit: Also, just noticed that you can Warm Welcome another Warm Welcome to put it again in your deck.

Edited by Tabris2k

I like the card effect for Warm Welcome, but the theme doesn't really make much sense to me. I don't think most events that players will play would really be considered a 'Warm Welcome,' unless you're recasting Consumed by Five Fires.

Part of me really wants to jam it with Oracle of Stone though and Kyuden Isawa for a total of 9 Oracle of Stones, to try and mill the enemy out. With a weak plan like that though, getting them down to 5 honor for the kill seems very hard.

Warm Welcome came in while I was updating, so it's been updated again.

I've also set out my ideas for the Neutral Dynasty cards now: all three of Hantei and sons as 5+ cost characters or holdings.

22 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

rwks1iq76o821.png

This seems solid. Triggering two shrewd Yasuki, Kuni Yori or Kaiu Shuichi in a conflict is good. Fortunately, it cost 3 influence, so other clans can’t abuse it.

Don't forget the Mantis (like Kudaka) we'll be running with this.

22 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

But Yoritomo is still ugly AF.

Still Awesome. :D

17 hours ago, Soshi Saibankan said:

Also Smuggling Deal seems to open a Pandora's Box.

Too bad there isn't a Restricted List for this game.... wpml_cool.gif

2 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

Warm_Welcome.png =

Hello three-of.