Scholar and Runes Career Skill

By MikeKyuss, in Realms of Terrinoth

If I am understanding everything right, this is what I read.

A scholar casts spells using the Runes skill. To use the Runes skill, you need a Runestone. But Scholars do not get a rune to start. So how are they able to use spells prior to getting the first runestone?

Also, I see I can make a Mage as a Runemaster and start with a Lessor Runestone to start instead of another implement and taking Runes instead of Arcana. Why choose scholar?

Basically, I want to understand the difference between Mage/Runemaster and Scholar.

Thanks

Edited by MikeKyuss
simplify the question

You are correct that the Scholar can not cast spells until they have gotten themselves a rune. But the Runes skill is more than just the use of Runes, and this example of when to use the Runes skill, from p83 of RoT, is exactly why the scholar has the skill:

”Your character wants to identify the meaning and purpose of a rune inscribed on a runebound shard”

A scholar initially has the Runes skill not for the purpose of using Runes but for studying them.

The next factor that’s important to consider is that the equipment lists are actually the “optional” choice that must be approved by the gm. In actuality all characters are considered to have the usual 500 silver to spend on equipment unless the gm approves the pre picked equipment lists. Even if the gm does approve those lists of equipment a player can still choose to spend 500 silver on their own preferred gear instead.

Then finally there’s the effects of a Lesser Rune, it mimics an Oak Wand exactly, which is a 400 Silver Rarity 7 item. As a gm I would absolutely be willing to have that be an item the character could earn as a reward within the first couple sessions of gaming. Other Runes will obviously be a lot harder to obtain.

I am getting ready to run my firsat adventure and I have a player with this same issue. I could not find any references, so, I went a similiar route as Richardbuxton. I was giving the character a lesser lesser rune, essentially a lesser rune without the augment. Just an implement that can cast spells. In the gear section, I gave the option for Alechical Kit (Which is there) or Minor Rune...I figure all other spell casters can cast as new players, so why the hellnot.