Effective tactics

By eisenkrote, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

Hey all,

I've been playing the game for a while now. I'm currently building a retired clone trooper. He was present for Order 66, but his control chip malfunctioned, so he watched his fellow squad turn on the Jedi.

In order to roleplay him well as a battle-hardened trooper, I'd like to involve tactics. Does anyone have any advice on tactics that are effective within the rules of the game? That is, tactics that don't require special talents to activate. Just good, ole fashioned strategy.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but if I had a player say something like this during a combat scene, "Ok, we're facing two groups of Stormtroopers and a Sergeant, Billy, you flank left and draw their fire, Johnny, you circle around and attack from their flank," I'd do things like provide boosts on certain combat checks in that scenario. I might even involve a Leadership check being required to provide the boost to test if your character is inspiring enough.

When it comes to player and GM interaction I'm a big fan of a player adding a bit of extra story or discussion and asking for a boost.