WAuvIZU.jpg

StarSpeeder 1000

X6VIifl.jpg

9leNcvp.jpg

StarSpeeder 3000

4HkbZOx.jpg

Ndsaq2m.gif

360 degree view of model

Thanks to @Noosart for inspiring this StarSpeeder 1000/3000 modeling project!

Building this model brought back some great nostalgia for when I was a kid heading to Disneyland to ride the original Star Tours ride for the first time. There's nothing quite like the feeling of first watching & loving the movie Battle of Yavin Death Star scene, then getting to ride the Star Tours motion simulator that made me feel like I was riding straight into the Death Star trench...

Anyway, for those who also love Star Tours and awesome Disneyland/Disneyworld tech, here's a 3D-printable model of the Starspeeder 1000/3000 from the ride! Apparently the StarSpeeder 1000 also has a brief appearance in The Force Awakens (now I'll have to re-watch again to catch that detail)!

The model is available on my shop in Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/product/A5RHAXDL9/star-tourist-speeder-high-detail-sci-fi-miniature

I am aware that the price is a little high...Shapeways isn't as cheap as I would like...I just wanted to assure everyone that the price is mostly just the Shapeways printing cost ($23.93 for Smooth Fine Detail material as of Oct. 8, 2018) and I really tried to trim down any $$ I get for making the design (only $2.06 for Smooth Fine Detail)...in addition, while I recommend Smooth Fine Detail for quality and smoothness, I also added the option to print in cheaper Versatile Plastic.

Anyway, this was a fun modeling project, and I hope you enjoy the model too!

lE61YDu.jpg

StarSpeeder 1000 pilot card

hshzpQi.jpg

StarSpeeder 3000 pilot card

The Phantom II / Sheathipede Class Shuttle was the model for these pilot cards, as I felt that it most closely matched how the StarSpeeder should operate. It's cheap, it has a basic attack, and it offers a crew member slot as well as an astromech slot.

Edited by DeathStarEngineer

Some more "blueprint" renders of the 3D model:

yswsYXC.jpg

F1OUUtl.jpg

3YyHOVR.jpg

detail even on the bottom + incorporated peg hole

WMXFrzp.jpg

tanks & pipes!

A note on scale:

xhl5x9j.jpg

Finding exact dimensions of this ship online was a bit difficult...from doing some scales from various toy models, to comparing photos of humans standing next to the ship, I got a reasonably close estimate, and then I decided to make this comparison of 2 side views of an X-wing and a Starspeeder 3000 and then use R2D2 as the common element between them to determine the scale of the StarSpeeder: from this comparison, I determined that the StarSpeeder should be about as long as an X-wing (13.4 meters), just slightly shorter.

13 hours ago, DeathStarEngineer said:

A note on scale:

xhl5x9j.jpg

Finding exact dimensions of this ship online was a bit difficult...from doing some scales from various toy models, to comparing photos of humans standing next to the ship, I got a reasonably close estimate, and then I decided to make this comparison of 2 side views of an X-wing and a Starspeeder 3000 and then use R2D2 as the common element between them to determine the scale of the StarSpeeder: from this comparison, I determined that the StarSpeeder should be about as long as an X-wing (13.4 meters), just slightly shorter.

Might pick one up, if I do, might fly it as AP-5 in a list.

Ahh there she blows. ?

Your work has come out stunning. Shapeways often has some special offers with Xmas coming up. So I'll wait a bit for that. But I will definitely pick one up.

Many thanks for the great job.

I ordered one, will post pics of it after I get it painted up in a week or two.

@Noosart thanks for suggesting the project!

@Animewarsdude many thanks for the order! I would love to see some photos! Would you mind snapping a photo or two of the model before painting as well? And I can't wait to see how it looks when you paint it up!

3 hours ago, DeathStarEngineer said:

@Animewarsdude many thanks for the order! I would love to see some photos! Would you mind snapping a photo or two of the model before painting as well? And I can't wait to see how it looks when you paint it up!

Sure, and I'll be going with the classic Starspeeder 3000, since that is the one I'm nostalgic over.

Hi

is not exactly the same...

But is similar, y made with scratch built and once finished made a model cast.

here is the link

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/264457-star-tours-model/

this is ship appeared on Rebel’s as well as clone wars, and seems to also appear on Resistance (at least in one of the trailers...)

@DeathStarEngineer Star Tours announces the boarding of the Endor Express, non-stop starspeeder service to the moon of Endor...

Pb1W6aN.jpg iRFJBa2.jpg aYsBYja.jpg zdcZ7XJ.jpg DUNQrYi.jpg

Sorry, I was a tad too excited to starting painting it so I ended up forgetting to take pictures of it without any paint on it. It did look amazing though, and if I end up getting a second at somepoint I'll try to remember to take pictures of it then. My paintjob I think turned out okay, though the brush strokes are a bit too notable, but hey it was the first time I've painted up a ship for X-Wing from scratch.

I was just flying in one of those yesterday!

50 minutes ago, patox said:

I was just flying in one of those yesterday!

What ride did you get?

@Animewarsdude awesome! I'm glad you enjoy my model and got it painted up and on the table!

How does the model look and handle in person? Capture the Star Tours feel? How does it look alongside other ships?

Glad to see that the crisp definition of the recessed panel lines came through in the print...modeling in panel lines is a bit of an investment of time, but I think really adds to a miniature...

What ship stats did you end up using...one of my printable cards, or some other stats? Did it feel balanced, and how did it fly?

Thanks for the photos!!!

@patox so excited that you got the Star Speeder flying! Would love to see some photos if you're willing!

During our first excursion on the Star Tours Starspeeder 3000, there were some mechanical difficulties. We ended up shooting our way out of an Imperial blockade, then we got sidetracked and found ourselves in the middle of the Boonta Eve Classic on Tatooine! That Sebulba, he's always up to his hijinks. Then we hyperspaced into the Anoat Asteroid Belt where we were hunted down by Boba Fett. He dropped a Seismic Charge on us. We hyperspaced again and discovered the construction site for a large spherical imperial mining station, which we promptly destroyed. Finally, we arrived with the Rebel Fleet. I was the Rebel spy.

The Rebellion brought us back to the Star Tours main hub and we decided to take our chances with another Starspeeder 3000. Once again, the ship had technical difficulty. We hyperspaced into a land battle on Hoth and then to Coruscant where a Separatist fleet was attacking. We landed on Coruscant and decided to go to the local canteen to book passage with a nerf hereder and a wookie.

Star Tours some new repair pit droid. We're not flying with them again.

3 hours ago, DeathStarEngineer said:

@Animewarsdude awesome! I'm glad you enjoy my model and got it painted up and on the table!

How does the model look and handle in person? Capture the Star Tours feel? How does it look alongside other ships?

Glad to see that the crisp definition of the recessed panel lines came through in the print...modeling in panel lines is a bit of an investment of time, but I think really adds to a miniature...

What ship stats did you end up using...one of my printable cards, or some other stats? Did it feel balanced, and how did it fly?

Thanks for the photos!!!

It look great in person, smaller than I original thought from the ride but looks good next to other ships.

I ended up flying it as AP-5 since well it is a droid flying a shuttle, the Starspeeder doesn't have the butt guns but its pretty close all things considered. I ran it in a 'Star Tours' list. I ended up winning the game against a U-Wing and 2 B-Wings, with the shuttle surviving until the very end of the game, though the last attack to hit it dropped it to 1 hull.

'Starspeeder 3000' - AP-5

X-Wing - Garven Dreis

- Proton Torps, R3 Astromech, S-Foils

X-Wing - Jek Prokins

- Elusive, Chopper, S-Foils

X-Wing - Biggs Darklighter

- R2 Astromech, Shield Upgrade, S-Foils

IdmStiN.jpg c4C0hLs.jpg

58 minutes ago, patox said:

During our first excursion on the Star Tours Starspeeder 3000, there were some mechanical difficulties. We ended up shooting our way out of an Imperial blockade, then we got sidetracked and found ourselves in the middle of the Boonta Eve Classic on Tatooine! That Sebulba, he's always up to his hijinks. Then we hyperspaced into the Anoat Asteroid Belt where we were hunted down by Boba Fett. He dropped a Seismic Charge on us. We hyperspaced again and discovered the construction site for a large spherical imperial mining station, which we promptly destroyed. Finally, we arrived with the Rebel Fleet. I was the Rebel spy.

The Rebellion brought us back to the Star Tours main hub and we decided to take our chances with another Starspeeder 3000. Once again, the ship had technical difficulty. We hyperspaced into a land battle on Hoth and then to Coruscant where a Separatist fleet was attacking. We landed on Coruscant and decided to go to the local canteen to book passage with a nerf hereder and a wookie.

Star Tours some new repair pit droid. We're not flying with them again.

Fly Air Alderaan next time, for some reason their ticket prices dropped to zero!

This is really a beautiful model, amazing detail. Thoroughly enjoyed painting my contribution:

n45V52p.jpg RrmRv8N.jpg HLheCYW.jpg

@ZealuxMyr love your paint job on the StarSpeeder 3000!!! And I'm really glad you enjoyed my 3D model! Thank you very much for sharing the photos!

Thank you very much @DeathStarEngineer ! Here's my updated photos taken with better lighting and background, I've also since gone back to add a few tiny details:

OuKjQ5N.jpg Yp9zkRB.jpg IMXXBZp.jpg z025yfE.jpg

So good!

Ugh. Now I see from the above that I failed to paint the windscreen correctly.

Op0qMUU.jpg

4e7WVhj.jpg

Painted up a couple. Fantastic model, I've really wanted this ship in the game!

bhSWarB.jpg Gq0vDMs.jpg

Much like @DeathStarEngineer , I thought the Sheathipede seemed like a good template. However, the Resistance Transport happens to have the combination of crew and astromech slots as well. I'm not exactly set on the statline.

RX-24-Front-Face.jpg.ea6fe9bc9921859ebccae1b78b97109f.jpg

C-3PO-Front-Face.jpg.b2e3c9b294254f6d5f791675a433cb4d.jpg

AC-38-Front-Face.jpg.34669108072e12ff376a6d2a1484e003.jpg

Generic pilots would be the I1 RX-Series Pilot Droid and the I3 AC-Series Pilot Droid (with Talent).

The ship is the Sacul StarSpeeder to allow for title upgrades for both the StarSpeeder 1000 (adds illicit slot?) and StarSpeeder 3000 (adds cannon slot?). Base upgrades would be Astromech + Crew + Crew + Crew + Modification + Title. Ship ability is purposefully a little broken, but forces you to load up on expensive upgrades for a vunerable little ship.

@Exclamaton awesome paint job and great pilot cards! How did you do that tiny Star Tours logo inside the circle? Is that a decal? Adding that mini logo is a very fine detail! I'm really glad you're enjoying the model I built!