Maeghan

By Tarliyn, in Runewars Tactics

Hey guys,

I can't get solo Maeghan to work. Advice? Army lists? I run martial magic on her whenever I have tried her and I have tried her with various army lists.

Check out my madlands batreps for lots of solo meagan variations.

She has two basic builds with some variation.

Ranged battery. Fdice or malcorne. Fdice if you want her to be the primary damage dealer, malcorne if you have a lot of fire rune units. Either way you need blockers to protect her as once engaged she will die.

Melee beastie. Martial meagan, can combo with margath or reaping blade, I've even considered packleader on her in this variation. She hits hard and on half the turns takes 5 damage to suffer the first wound.

Either one is good.

I agree with Jukey.

I try to break my build thoughts into:

1. Utility: Regardless of what you do with Martial Magic, if you're taking Malcornes, you're bringing her as utility. You probably want her away from the action only engaging late or on the edges. She can still ranged attack at 1-3 even with Martial Magic.

2. Ranged: Fortunta's Dice is king her. Ideally, you want to be able to stockpile enough Inspiration or pick them up off of Latari Memorials that you can dial in her surge modifier on the critical turns. If you can manage to roll a single surge on one of the dice, then you can flip a die to 2 surges for a total of 4. Depending upon the red runes, that can splash a lot of damage around everywhere. And depending upon the Green Runes, I'd think you'd hit 6 damage on the primary target, with a max of 8. Fortuna's also allows you to fix the damage/surge ratio so that you do the most damage. Its pretty good.

3. Melee: Martial Magic. I just tried Reaping Blade. Fortuna's could also work at melee. I've not run Margath, but you know almost anything is taking damage just for swinging at you.

One of the things that every Runewars player has to learn is that all heroes die fast if you put them in bad positions. So some of the skill in the game is learning how to hold them back a bit more.

Thanks for the builds, I was thinking of trying martial a fdice next time but I will consider reaping. The problem I have is I have an incredibly hard time justifying her over Aliana and a double hero list is alot of points wrapped up in heroes.

Do you guys find you miss Aliana even once you get used to using Maeghan?

18 minutes ago, Tarliyn said:

D o you guys find you miss Aliana even once you get used to using Maeghan?

Depends on which build I'm doing. If I'm doing my Glass Cannon build (2 to 4 2x1 archers with fire runes, and assorted speed bumps), then definitely not. If I'm doing my Catch Me If You Can build (2 3x1 Ventala with Flank Fire and Metered March, plus assorted other units), she's an important distraction and/or flank and pin piece. And if I'm doing an entirely different build...

... actually, I don't do leaders as much as many other people. Sometimes I don't take any leaders. So no, I don't miss her. Unless the build calls for her.

1 hour ago, Xelto said:

Depends on which build I'm doing. If I'm doing my Glass Cannon build (2 to 4 2x1 archers with fire runes, and assorted speed bumps), then definitely not. If I'm doing my Catch Me If You Can build (2 3x1 Ventala with Flank Fire and Metered March, plus assorted other units), she's an important distraction and/or flank and pin piece. And if I'm doing an entirely different build...

... actually, I don't do leaders as much as many other people. Sometimes I don't take any leaders. So no, I don't miss her. Unless the build calls for her.

Well completely off topic, what is your most successful heroless build. I have never run one, and I get so few games in it would be nice to have a baseline to start with.

I almost always have a Meghan and an Aliana list, so it isn't a question of missing one or the other, but of recognizing that they do different things. I also took a long time to get on the Aliana band-wagon, so I'm not quite afflicted by some of the pro-Aliana/con-Maegan stuff I see from time to time (by no means universal).

Maegan Cyndewin [36] 1x1
Reaping Blade [4]
Martial Magic [3]
Total Unit Cost: 43

Aymhelin Scions [62] 3x2
Pathwalkers Amulet [3]
Raven Tabards [2]
Fertile Soil [5]
Total Unit Cost: 72

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Dispatch Runner [7]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 43

Darnati Warriors [19] 2x1
Total Unit Cost: 19

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Total Unit Cost: 20

That was the latest Maegan list that I tried. The point of the Deepwood Archers is to Dispatch Runner the Scions or Maegan. Maegan soloed a 2x2 Carrion Lancers because of that. Darnati are some of the most effective points filler. I also am the only Uthuk player in the area currently, so losing DR and TS to Ravos tokens wasn't that big of a concern. Not claiming it would take everything in the meta, but it proved to be an effect list against my Waiqar opponent.