Compendium of UK Armada Events - *** 2019 ***

By Mad Cat, in Star Wars: Armada Organized Play

Dark Sphere have a facebook event for their Prime Championship. However it is dated Thursday 31 December 2020 🤨

31 Dec 2019 is a Tuesday which is also unlikely so I think this is either a misstype or a temporary place holder.

I'll keep checking back....

https://www.facebook.com/events/521949138581838/

Edited by Mad Cat

How did they get a prime tournament? How?

2 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

How did they get a prime tournament? How?

They're in London, accessible (right next to bus, train and underground stations, and a major road), and I think have room for more tables (in one place) than any other place in the area (they're suggesting going up to 90 players).

Or perhaps no one else applied. Looks like Legion is getting 8 Primes in the UK, to Armada's 3. Given the low number of other tournaments going on at the moment, I wonder if there's a lack of interest.

As for the date, they're still polling people to find out what format they want (including 1 v 2 days) - that might affect when they can host it.

20 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

They're in London, accessible (right next to bus, train and underground stations, and a major road), and I think have room for more tables (in one place) than any other place in the area (they're suggesting going up to 90 players).

Or perhaps no one else applied. Looks like Legion is getting 8 Primes in the UK, to Armada's 3. Given the low number of other tournaments going on at the moment, I wonder if there's a lack of interest.

As for the date, they're still polling people to find out what format they want (including 1 v 2 days) - that might affect when they can host it.

There are other accessible stores in London though. I agree London should have one.

Who are they polling? The only way to get 40+ is to cater to out of London attendees which they never do. They have a track record of last minute time and daye changes which makes it inaccessible to everyone outside of London. Sure they might have 45 tables, they wont have 90 attendees.

Seperately, do we know when London Masters is yet?

4 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

Separately, do we know when London Masters is yet?

Last I heard that was planned to coincide with the Dark Sphere Prime. Although that might cause problems with format and pairing.

The poll is on the Facebook event page, here .

As I understand it Dark Sphere, Magic Madhouse and Warboar are the only stores within the M25 still running Armada tournaments, and Magic Madhouse is in the middle of a move, so maybe didn't want to apply for a Prime. Not sure about Warboar - if I make it there on Saturday I might ask if they applied.

Otherwise I think the only other places in the South East running Armada are in Aldershot, Basingstoke (also had a move of sorts over the Summer, with a new store, so may not have had time to apply) and Poole. Last year Aldershot had 8 people at the regional, to the 25ish in Dark Sphere (and that was at least 3 of us overlapping).

I don't think it's a lack of players in the South East (outside London), just not enough in the right places compared to the stores willing to run events.

Turn up and Play

Athena Games - Norwich

Sunday 27 October

This is a casual event where people can turn up and get in a game of Armada, regardless of skill level. Demo games will be available for new players, and models can also be borrowed on the day.

Breaking news!

I was Speaking to @justin read at the Element Games monthly Armada event yesterday. He confirms that Element Games will have an Armada Prime championship on Saturday 25 January 2020. Emails were sent on time, a little confusion may have occurred, but all is sorted out and the Prime event will happen this season in Stockport.

Edit: Tickets here - https://elementgames.co.uk/event-tickets/star-wars-armada-prime-championship

I'm not sure if this means any further Prime events will be announced in the UK or elsewhere in the world but we have a 4th UK prime at least.

The Dark sphere Prime championship link looks to have settled on 4 January but also extends to 5th Jan for regular game 4 (and game 5 if more than 44 players) Then the final cut. Some casual games too.

Tickets here.

https://www.darksphere.co.uk/p.php?p=97159

Edited by Mad Cat
link added.

Bump

On 10/2/2019 at 11:54 PM, Grumbleduke said:

Last I heard that was planned to coincide with the Dark Sphere Prime. Although that might cause problems with format and pairing.

The poll is on the Facebook event page, here .

As I understand it Dark Sphere, Magic Madhouse and Warboar are the only stores within the M25 still running Armada tournaments, and Magic Madhouse is in the middle of a move, so maybe didn't want to apply for a Prime. Not sure about Warboar - if I make it there on Saturday I might ask if they applied.

Otherwise I think the only other places in the South East running Armada are in Aldershot, Basingstoke (also had a move of sorts over the Summer, with a new store, so may not have had time to apply) and Poole. Last year Aldershot had 8 people at the regional, to the 25ish in Dark Sphere (and that was at least 3 of us overlapping).

I don't think it's a lack of players in the South East (outside London), just not enough in the right places compared to the stores willing to run events.

West London is probably convenient for a chunk of people in the SE but not for others. Lots of people just say 'Oh London is easy to get to' and yes it is, until you have to go from SE or NE London to W London. Not less than 2 hours and multiple public transport changes - and that works fine on Saturday (maybe) but there's engineering works on Sunday so no trains. And you're carrying 10kg of toy spaceships in bulky boxes.

Of you could drive and pay Sadiq Khan a bazillion pounds for the privilege of entering his kingdom.

32 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

West London is probably convenient for a chunk of people in the SE but not for others. Lots of people just say 'Oh London is easy to get to' and yes it is, until you have to go from SE or NE London to W London. Not less than 2 hours and multiple public transport changes - and that works fine on Saturday (maybe) but there's engineering works on Sunday so no trains. And you're carrying 10kg of toy spaceships in bulky boxes.

Of you could drive and pay Sadiq Khan a bazillion pounds for the privilege of entering his kingdom.

Significantly reduced service out of Kings Cross 4th and 5th January springs to mind.

Short notice, but probably last tournament in the South before the London Prime:

15/12/2019 - Basingstoke , The Gaming Den, 10am registration for 10.30am start, Monthly Event. https://www.facebook.com/events/2489180308034010/