Extra Armor and Lie in Ambush

By viktr, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

Can I distribute block power tokens when deploying with Lie in Ambush?

The figures in the group waiting in Lie in Ambush are not in play, so I don't think you can distribute tokens to them.

3 hours ago, viktr said:

Can I distribute block power tokens when deploying with Lie in Ambush?

Unfortunately Extra Armor is "after deployment" and that refers the deployment phase. It would have been nicer if it was "after deploying a group" (ofc with a once per mission limit).

Edited by Golan Trevize
20 hours ago, a1bert said:

The figures in the group waiting in Lie in Ambush are not in play, so I don't think you can distribute tokens to them.

My doubt is if "after deployment" refers "after deployment phase" or if it also includes "after deploying a group" but it seems to refer, like @Golan Trevize said, only to the deployment phase.

For me it refers to after deployment phase (note that in skirmish, there is only one deployment - at the start of the game. Also in skirmish you do not deploy any groups, but you only deploy figures (unlike campaign when you can deploy whole groups (card and all the figures) p.11 RRG. however the real problem is, that LiA clearly stares, that the set-aside group is "out of play", so it would imply, that it's figures cannot be a target of any game effects.

Yes, I'm pretty sure "after deployment" refers to the deployment step of the skirmish setup.

(Compare to how "after deployment" of Hera's Smooth Landing works in skirmish. Well, and in the campaign too in this case.)

Edited by a1bert

There is also one more interpretation of "after deployment" as "after you deploy all your figures" (note, that the phase is called "Deploy units", not "deployment"). It can matter with Hera and Xarmor, because it would imply, that the player with initiative has to resolve those effects, before player without init deploys, which givecs him additional information. I would lean towards after the whole phase, but do you have a clear rulling on that?

Edited by Szycha
2 hours ago, Szycha said:

There is also one more interpretation of "after deployment" as "after you deploy all your figures" (note, that the phase is called "Deploy units", not "deployment"). It can matter with Hera and Xarmor, because it would imply, that the player with initiative has to resolve those effects, before player without init deploys, which givecs him additional information. I would lean towards after the whole phase, but do you have a clear rulling on that?

From RRG Page 11 at section Deployment and subsection Skirmish Deployment, it looks clear to me that skirmish deployment is that part of setup you place all figures on the map. It also looks clear to me the intention of designer with word "deployment" in skirmish is to refer that specific moment of setup phase. Later introduction of Hera and LiA has brought some complexity in wording which may sound a bit confusing. I believe new cards can either overwrite a rule or add new rule but they can't change (by side effect) the meaning of what has been written ages ago.

Edited by Golan Trevize

The simple argument: If Smooth Landing was intended to trigger when Hera is deployed, then it would've been written so ("when you are deployed").

(It should not be any issue to deploy Hera last during skirmish setup, and in the campaign allies are deployed after heroes, so it could've been written so if that were the intent.)

Edited by a1bert

So, does that mean that the block tokens cannot be applied while the Lie in Ambush unit is, "set aside?" It seems like there might be the possibility that since they are there on the table, just not on the map, that might be a possibility.

aside, out of play,

But only the developers can say for sure.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:55 PM, a1bert said:

But only the developers can say for sure.

Hi Ulrich,

In response to your rules question:

Rules Question:
If units/figures are set aside during the setup of a skirmish mission, e.g. On Our Way from Heart of the Empire can they still receive power tokens from the Skirmish Upgrade Extra Armor?

Figures that are not on the map cannot gain power tokens.

Thanks for playing!

Tony Fanchi

Game Developer

Fantasy Flight Games