Uthuk Y'llan - love em', hate em' - they're fun to paint!

By Steel82, in Runewars Painting and Modeling

So I've had quite a few of my Uthuk painted for a while, but I have been enjoying the game so much I have taken little time to snap photos of them. So I figured I'd throw up the pics I have and continue to add as I take more photos and paint more minis. Straight up, I love playing as the Uthuk. When I played Warhammer Fantasy I used the Empire and always envied the guys painting up the Chaos factions. Not this time around! I've started with the Uthuk and will continue to keep them as my main faction. I will say, however, expect to see some other factions getting some warpaint in the near future. I own each one and simply love this game. So much stuff is on the horizon and I'm looking forward to putting a brush to all of it. Hopefully, I can stay committed to posting my pieces here over time. Until then, hope these inspire some of you to sling some paint. I'm not a professional by any measure but do the best I can. Nuff' rambling - let's see some minis!!!

For the first post I'll put the king fear daddy on the page, Ravos the Everhungry
uc?id=1SKGvBz4qarXmxrCVuT-wXxe57IoGzVIo uc?id=1H36znoH_5Njh8TH_2chdnbYk3nBT8aId

uc?id=1zn12Rbw8eKQCFz283uldUbzcpWMZVyej uc?id=1iSEJS7DtpLiwC_tKuCwZlyL35LEFBYsW

So that's what I have to share at the moment. More will be uploaded in the very near future. I personally love the skin and have used it on every one of my Uthuk. It is a bit slow to achieve as it is a five-step process but I simply love the depth of the end result. Let me know what you think - good, bad, whatever - I appreciate criticism in whatever form it may take. At some point, I will post the recipe I use for the skin in case you'd like to take a stab at it with your minis. Happy painting folks!

Here is a beserker 80% finished - personally my favorite pose. So dynamic - I have based all of them and have finished painting in the other details, but have only a few shots of those that I need to locate on my computer. Expect to see them soon.

uc?id=1Uhv9KqcsuTOl1fnk8mggsgDR_5G1Wih6

The first go at a Spined Thresher. I painted it to completion but wasn't satisfied with the final outcome. I do think that this paint scheme would work for a Waiqar general looking to use Maro's ability to add Spined Threshers though. In the final pic you'll see that I repainted the mini to mesh a little better with my horde. You can see a bit of progression through the painting process here as well. Enjoy.

uc?id=1jKz0pSEGZFAGyttjmLoMpUwDF1U27D4k

uc?id=1ESrzsmPyOVDtG-jtGtwcmMKDHavojpZ-

uc?id=11w7l8ZANAI9uAFcxqYV6dOARI5e77gB9

uc?id=1NRicEoxIxFClTHEWTBvDPGUjx1eqGrN7

uc?id=1xdBX5ccEHW8A4qN3J3RzV-d6BKyY5SjD

Below is the same mini that I repainted along with another thresher painted in the same color scheme. Don't get me wrong, I liked the purple plated people eater but, it just felt off in the overall color theme the rest of the army was sporting.

uc?id=1wONDeH0vV7X3sYJjIEG-T1_ihXmRh0y1

Back to the Beserkers for a moment. Here are a couple of the command figures awaiting basing.

uc?id=19Q-d2OMtAJO49VGpnPU5m0zpa9LcgKjc

And here is their legion undergoing a bit of speed painting...

uc?id=1ndV3leCrVtZb02AitymPfOT8KDuqXytL

Gathering up on my shelf patiently awaiting final touches and basing...

uc?id=1x-Bf2zPCT6eOuX9D3hnNcbjZ-jFTJE3P

Until I can resolve to grab some better pics, this will be the last entry for a bit. Here is a shoddy pic of the Flesh Rippers.

uc?id=1cTJMDyCC9NCVSLcZ-vykDaIoGGSJnjLN

Hope you guys are enjoying stuff up to this point. More to come!

While I work on getting some new pics - I'll throw some of the Daqan I've painted up. I haven't gotten through much of them. I decided on a Spartan themed paint scheme for them. As such, I stuck with bronze, deep red to vibrant red layering, treated their plate mail as thickened leather and treated their leaf mail as fur. Very happy with the outcome. I do plan on emblazoning the shield in the future, but not until I have a bulk of the spearmen to work on. Enjoy.

uc?id=1QCnjUzuxVADfrYMyaLSwlhI7v23N99WB

uc?id=1YXzhPgf3APjKsWfFC35QrQCpBbgdUEAV

uc?id=1eQWMcKxqo1iX1TvhuGCvkK8nAzgxeyxl

uc?id=1FS7U60iqqfaDIKt5b39IxwbrYzQNVNZy

The mage of the Daqan Infantry Command

uc?id=1XAToQ1S-qus7-hX_hxeOHb3ety6LkMFg

uc?id=1xxYtbmOrjdY72Rq5_kauA0RQyA2UeloZ

uc?id=1gtCjKYd92LEoakc48k89y5q3Cbwu4F3O

Here's the old man leading a small contingent of spearmen

uc?id=1tfI5v7uGeYxmslURAMGhQIIukVwdYAvw

That's it for this small Daqan sidebar. We'll be back to the Uthuk shortly :)

Back to the Uthuk ? I took a few quick shots with my phone to get the images up on display. I have more awaiting paint, but this post is dedicated to the ones who are finished and based. Well, 99% based. I still have some vegetation tufts to add that will break up the current monotony of the sandy bases. Hope you enjoy.

A snapshot overhead of the whole painted army:

uc?id=1-zFac0bSY9a7OEliXbrzBjLUnuGzMTNY

Beserkers - ICU in the front rank

uc?id=1R64wfhnuRJd_nSuoJ-1hx-qd7e89i05l

A closer look at the Flesh Rippers:

uc?id=1MkSn3cLgpwXx3brakWvQg183rzEmYCTT

Let's not forget Ravos:

uc?id=11iIz0BQJuk9gJZDWVTRWMdprf98_ZQ9_

And a couple shots of the faction's reliable tanks - The Spined Threshers:

uc?id=1SVHDMQufI5FA4w2_-97uUN7SWUpXwz62

And another angle:

uc?id=1glIlOvm02zaI0ubd3eFIPpj2XQkKaqdu

That about rounds out my Army's current state of painting. Kethra will be my next model to paint. I have a few more things I'll be posting in the meantime though - so check back. I've been working on some 3D terrain and trying my hand at sculpting the pieces with clay. Happy painting gents!

So, I picked up a box of Beserkers, Spined Threshers, Flesh Rippers, and Kethra but have not put brush to them yet. Today, I've taken the assembled/glued minis outside to get their base coats applied. Every time I base coat my minis I kick myself for having sold my Iwata airbrush kit. Oh, how I wish I still had that thing...Instead, I've gone back to rattle-can priming. Don't get me wrong, they do the job well enough. They are less optimal in the end result though. I figured I would try to catalog my progress and provide summaries of how I complete each step. Hopefully, this will help newer brush slingers in their process and encourage more painted armies to take the field! I'll attempt to list paints used and such as I go in case you're interested in achieving a similar look. Here's a plug for the Waiqar - I think the palad bruised flesh tones would work well for an Ankor Maro or Vorunthal the Cursed.

Let's get to it - I prime my miniatures using a simplified zenithal highlighting method (I am using rattle cans - Army Painter to be exact). When I say simplified, I simply mean that I use black and white...no gray (primarily because I don't have it to hand and save about 10-15 bucks by not purchasing it). For a better result - add the gray. The specific colors in Army Painter spray that I use are Matte Black Undercoat and Matte White.

I spray the black coat while holding the miniature in my hand at an angle such that the spray is focused on the undercarriages of the model.

For the white coat, I place the miniature free standing on some cardboard and spray directly from the top. This creates a contrast between the underside shadow areas and where a light would naturally fall. With those two steps completed - I let them dry/cure for a day before putting brush to them.

Here is the end result of the simplified zenithal priming

uc?id=11AcZ_zC2mAJQkC8DeuNjImChw0PziGPa

In follow up posts, I will stage out Kethra's progression. First with the infantry model followed by the cavalry/standalone variant.

uc?id=1JDgm3R1njvoSFkbyd9V9YzADtifVPt4x

One of the downsides to using rattle cans as a priming method is the occasional grit you receive from spraying. Temperature plays a role in how minimal this side effect will be. Spray from too far away and the paint tacks up before it hits the miniature causing this effect. Spray too close and you clog up the details. My take on it is this, get some primer on the mini and start painting. Do what you can to minimize it, but don't obsess over it. Unless you are painting for competition - no one will likely notice it on the final miniature. Remember - people are looking at these from a distance.

uc?id=1UlvFCNQBT8OIBUIbErsWrm6Gqt3rVzHz

In the next entry - I'll be painting Kethra (Infantry Variant) starting with the flesh. Happy painting gents!

Edited by Steel82

As promised, I have cataloged how I accomplish the skin for my Uthuk. Hopefully, I've captured enough for anyone wishing to do so to follow along. The end goal is to create a bruised and sore appearance to the skin. I happen to use the Army Painter line of paints to achieve this, but similar results can be achieved using other lines of paint. Simply find colors in your favorite line of paint that are similar and you'll get pretty close. Here are the paints and tones used:

uc?id=1__l-VBOGOenoROpqWoXaIBORQWgk9D5g

STEP 1: Mix the base color. I use a ratio of 1:1 - Uniform Grey and Skeleton Bone. That's equal amounts for anyone new to painting ratios. One drop of each color.

uc?id=1071dSq1o8lodvNSTQI0y6J1B-4mPCUfA

uc?id=1KclI7yOXv_lFx4F1SXDFbzyB7L_YEjO7

uc?id=1kRW5i4SWD2cE0uijyTyrwtkXfvYFFZXh

Those of you with a sharp eye will notice I am using a wet pallet. Not mandatory, but it does help. For all of my steps, you will want to thin your paint (water works just fine). We don't want to completely lose the zenithal yet - it will be our roadmap for light and shadow as we paint. Apply this color (again - thinly) to the skin areas of the miniature.

uc?id=1rPS9eCLBXZWUkn2jy9-taPLoNwdB7X_b

STEP 2: Purple Tone the miniature - This is done with 1:1 purple tone to water. Do not slather on the wash. Focus the wash towards creases and edges of the miniature. Basically, anywhere clothing, spikes, or deep recesses of the skin occur.

uc?id=1QBbeEPDkQj7lUM-4dr6E7Dyo3QWL-x-R

Notice the miniature's left knee. The wash is focused where the tunic overlaps the leg and where the wraps around the calf begin. The knee is still the base coat done in step one. You don't have to cover the entire miniature in the wash. Also, please note the miniature's left hand. The wrist and middle finger - the pinky finger have been washed, but the index finger and thumb have not.

uc?id=11pxXV4nKFRW5toO8PTxBX85gwudk_eh5

Once again, you can see that the wash is focused on the back of the miniature. The spine is picked out but the shoulder remains the base color from step one.

uc?id=1_ieBRQ139mw6t_IWuf6tvXLGlvspg_qG

STEP 3: The Midtone Color - So the base color and purple tone provide the shadowed areas of the miniature. This step will cover the application of our mid-tone color to the mini. Here is the mix:

1:1:1:1 - Uniform Grey, Skeleton Bone, Barbarian Flesh, Matt White

uc?id=1mWMfAUir9ojb0-II09tZqre9IkAv7XaR

Looks as though my Barbarian flesh could've used a little more shaking. I assure you that there are approximately equal amounts of each color in this mix though.

uc?id=1vJsUn-GUJQMprNvxJaW6Uug88Rbfx5vD

You can see our original base color in contrast to the mid-tone color in this shot. The step between the colors is a bit drastic. I will say it again - thin the paint! The will allow some of that dark color to blend nicely into the mid-tone via the translucency of the acrylic paint. If you go too thick, the transition will be too abrupt. I've been painting my entire army this way and still will inadvertently apply this layer too thickly. If you have the time, and patience, super thin this layer - allow it to dry - then apply this layer again gradually moving away from the shadowed areas.

uc?id=1NFjdqYf-gbtWgL1NL6Bz3xZ3EjwDuja7

uc?id=1tf_CzKmMlPFd4-fUhUUbBaOuRGODnk8k

uc?id=1-IqMS8aiy_N6iGBpmRNCRqmtMLkvR5Er

STEP 4: Extremely watered down Red Tone. This step is even more judicious in its application than the purple tone. Mix 1 part Red Tone to 2 parts water. Focus in on the base of spikes and where armor would rub against the skin. I'll also typically use this step as a fixer to help smooth over any abrupt transitions I created in the last step.

uc?id=1AFiOxspKzhL8izq2_1bM3DW2-5MR71p4

uc?id=1TNAhSqAFlC1_pDZi4dfPyxgfBfjcWbc1

STEP 5: Skin Highlight - To achieve the highlight for the skin tone, I add 1 part Matt White to the mid-tone mix that was created in Step 3. This is the resulting color:

uc?id=1pMV1GhByM7nKqWdVIRn-d3PmUFa0gXr9

Focus on placing this color precisely where the light would hit and try not to cover up your other layers with it. (Optional step, I painted in the eyes using Dragon Red - If you do choose to paint the eyes, do it before you add the highlight tone so you can shore up any mistakes with getting the eyes painted in.)

uc?id=1MUOD7lAq65qrDzFcWdgWtFbiI5GRAOZU

uc?id=1RC0eA_eByG3gCbqM9VNcHYvQ7mI2aequ

Summary: That is how I paint the skin tones for my Uthuk miniatures. More or less care is used pending the miniature I'm painting. With that said - I typically perform one last highlight on character or infantry command unit figures before calling it quits on the skin. With this being Kethra, I did just that. Here is a shot of her getting ready to get her base color applied to her tunic with those final highlights added. All I do is add a tiny bit more Matt White to the highlight color and apply it very sparingly to the most prominent areas that would be in the light.

uc?id=1ihYX1-de35IOsE_EEqzURuMsWb7j_SB2

Well, there it is. I hope some of you find this of value. I will follow up with the Calvary variant really soon since I painted them at the same time. The skin really begins to pop once the rest of the miniature has been painted. If you take a stab at this, I'd love to see your end result! Happy painting folks!

As promised, I have the skin of the cavalry variant of Kethra (and her Flesh Ripper) painted up using the same method as the infantry version. I'll save the chatter about each step for the previous post and simply throw up the images. Enjoy.

Step 1:

uc?id=1D_seZh3fgiF29vr9ABNk5W4ECjl6AR9L

uc?id=1J_o09w7pdHZP55nanFFoFxjvslyYQfiF

uc?id=1IpC8nOQjPd73yLT-zfqdaFZWDiH986pG

STEP 2:

uc?id=1skyGbjlVnBXLpgIyOnQWAMEn-PTJhQfG

uc?id=19ohkerGlv2jqYKljALKKHInq2YdVhNzR

STEP 3:

uc?id=1tPROIvGvgEgMFpYG16i-vOiHOtrrq2zm

uc?id=1KRBR6-vd-QNb88zi5_DjsgMv6fEB1avY

STEP 4:

uc?id=1A2nsT9XXFqecM51aNAu9cjcPPqHRlr57

uc?id=1TK7qDhsbrxLVEIqy8cZTutv4qQ9HKOTF

STEP 5:

uc?id=1bvpLgc_Bvg2d8U_NSF-9hmUX5NzXCEu1

uc?id=1KA4S-Q8FBrwui1IhujHL_1NfBf_OjQLH

OPTIONAL STEP 6: Final Highlight - Yes the first layer of the Reds are in on this one as well but I seem to have skipped taking a photo of the final highlight for the skin tone.

uc?id=1J05Q_yvHeLr8l72uBsbvkSrykbEgEuK7

Overall I'm happy with the skin. Once the additional details are painted in the depth of the skin really pops out. I hope you enjoyed this short tutorial on how I do the skin for my Uthuk. Happy Painting folks!

Bro I cannot wait for a finished product on this model! Just nice work! Every time I see your Uthuk army on the table I just love this game that much more!

Infantry Kethra breakdown to this point:

Tunic
---------------------------------
Base Color: Army Painter Chaos Red
Fold Shadows: 1:1 Army Painter Chaos Red/Army Painter Oak Brown mix
Wash: Army Painter Dark Tone
Mid Tone: 1:1 Army Painter Chaos Red/Army Painter Dragon Red
Highlight: 1:2 Army Painter Choas Red/Army Painter Dragon Red

Wrist/Leg Wraps & Hair
2:1 Army Painter Uniform Gray/Army Painter Matt Black

Bone
Foundation: Army Painter Oak Brown

uc?id=1HEyr8khGKilLjGzdbXjNmHRw8rhaJLCd uc?id=1PrOnTpBDMO_LsnwVF3AtpspoSrVZkJwa

A quick note about color temperature: So the reason I paint the bone foundation layer in a deep brown color first, is to combat the initial zenithal highlight colors of black and white. Black and white accentuate cold colors as an undertone while deep reds and browns help to accentuate warm colors. Cold colors being blues, grays, purples, greens. Warm colors being reds, yellows, oranges, browns. If you've ever tried to paint a vibrant red or yellow over a black primed mini and had to layer it three or four times to get the color you've wanted, then you've experienced the problem of color temperatures fighting against each other. This single step will help the final highlights pop.

I don't bother with the tunic because the chaos red is a deep enough foundation color to give a good base for the layers above. I did, however, place a mix of the choas red and oak brown in the deep folds to lean the tunic's shadows towards the warm spectrum.

The next post will have Kethra (infantry variant) painted to completion.

Kethra A'laak Infantry Variant Final

All set folks. This post will break down Kethra's finishing touches. But before we jump into the paint list - let's take a look at the end result.

uc?id=15fMKb2j6YGqgQr9i2n_DoYJxHpwsjL9i uc?id=1TKa8HiD90GKFo5mVLCOSb9q7wiqII0ku

Picking up from where the last post left off I'll catalog the paints used for the different areas of the model.

Bone (Armor, Weapons, Spikes, Skulls)
Base Color: Army Painter Oak Brown (shown in the previous post)
Light Dry brush: Army Painter Skeleton Bone
Wash: Army Painter Strong Tone (this is a dark sepia wash that works well on skeleton bones)
Mid: Army Painter Skeleton Bone (this layer is pained wet instead of dry brushed and is more focused in the areas it is placed. Mostly focusing on where the light would hit the miniature.
Highlight: 1:2 Army Painter Matt White/Army Painter Skeleton Bone (very sparingly placed into the most extreme points of where the light would hit the mini.

Highlight on the cloth wrap around the Bone dagger
Army Painter Uniform Gray - Very minimal lines placed on the topmost edges of the wrap on the dagger

Hair Bands
Base: Army Painter Chaos Red
Mid: 1:1 Army Painter Choas Red/Army Painter Dragon Red
Highlight: 1:2 Army Painter Chaos Red/Army Painter Dragon Red

That's it, folks. From start to finish, the colors and techniques I've used for Kethra. I hope some of you find this useful in your painting. Here are a few more shots of the final miniature:

uc?id=1RidYm5wBOXAliEEJXwEicQHBPfun_y7F uc?id=1X3qQywIH2M0U-fowzZ7MmnM3HKDBXX4O

uc?id=1T40gGOMUcCNH31_f_zKAGH7LS8jasHjr

Final thoughts - Overall I'm very satisfied with the end result of the miniature. Having painted a number of beserkers already I didn't find her too much of a challenge. I simply applied the same process that I've used on my other Uthuk and added a few extra highlights since she was a character model. The very last thing I do is spray my minis with a Matte Varnish (yes - it's army painter as well). This will ultimately dull the colors a bit but protects the minis from handling. And to be honest - as much fun as they are to paint - they are more fun when they take the field! I will cover the basing in a future post, but that will likely be a ways off as I will base all of the mini's from the last batch of boxes at the same time. I hope you've enjoyed watching this unfold. Cheers!