SoB - Firing the cannons and besieging a city

By guest260577, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi,

First I new here so Hello to everybody ! cool.gif

Second, I've to questions related to SoB:

1. Firing the cannon as monster - I can't clearly understand the rules with firing the cannons. E.g. Dark Priest is firing the cannon, let say ColdSteel cannon. Which dices should be used ? Normally Dark Priest uses 1xwhite and 3xpower dices. This cannon attacks itself with 1xwhite dice. I've used 1x white, 1x red and 3x black but I'm not sure about that.

2. The lieutenant: Darkwind the Griffin. It can travel twice as fast as other do. The party may never catch it and it can safely besiege and destroy cities. Is there sth. that I don't understand or this lieutenant gives the OL huge advantage ?

lighting

1. When using a cannon a monsters normal dicepool is ignored. They instead use the dice shown on the cannon along with a number of powerdice depending on their type and level. There is a table in the chapter about ships showing what different kind of monsters roll, based on what their primary attack type is.

For example, Dark Priests use magic attacks so if you look at the table in the book you will see in copper they will roll 4 black dice if using a magic cannon and 2 black dice if using a ranged cannon (the cannons have different types, as indicated by the icon on the card). Add a red dice to this if trying to hit a square with a model (unless its a Hawkeye cannon), but remember that the red dice is only counted for missing the model and any other results from it is ignored. And remember the FaQ, monsters may not use any abilities when using a cannon.

2. The heroes can always catch up with him when he is sieging a city as he needs to stay still on the campaign map to do that, so the only real advantage he has on the map is that he can get between cities faster. But yes, it is very hard for the heroes to protect all cities no matter what Avatar is used. It might even be too hard, not really sure yet,

Honn said:

1. When using a cannon a monsters normal dicepool is ignored. They instead use the dice shown on the cannon along with a number of powerdice depending on their type and level. There is a table in the chapter about ships showing what different kind of monsters roll, based on what their primary attack type is.

For example, Dark Priests use magic attacks so if you look at the table in the book you will see in copper they will roll 4 black dice if using a magic cannon and 2 black dice if using a ranged cannon (the cannons have different types, as indicated by the icon on the card). Add a red dice to this if trying to hit a square with a model (unless its a Hawkeye cannon), but remember that the red dice is only counted for missing the model and any other results from it is ignored. And remember the FaQ, monsters may not use any abilities when using a cannon.

2. The heroes can always catch up with him when he is sieging a city as he needs to stay still on the campaign map to do that, so the only real advantage he has on the map is that he can get between cities faster. But yes, it is very hard for the heroes to protect all cities no matter what Avatar is used. It might even be too hard, not really sure yet,

1. Thanks, you've made it really clear :)

2. Yes, partially I agree. The problem is, that this Darkwind can go to the opposite site of the map quickly and destroy the town then. And the Darkwind is safe there.

There is a ship upgrade that let's the hero travel two trails a week, so they should be able to catch him.