Sustained Combat in Stellar Phenomena/ Terrain

By gtgauvin, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

So, I’m trying to make sense of the Stellar Phenomena or Terrain rules on page 254, especially as they pertain to multiple consecutive rounds within such challenging terrain. As I understand how the rules are written ( and clarified elsewhere by the developers), you calculate the difficulty of the check by the ½ Silhouette and Speed formula, add any appropriate Navigation Hazard Setback Dice ( Table 7-8), and if the check succeeds, the pilot is able to change range bands and may act without constraint the following round.

In the films and animated series, we see many examples of characters flying and dogfighting through crowded space, like the Battle of Coruscant or the Falcon fleeing through the asteroid field, and they do more than just piloting. I’d like to give players the opportunity to remain within dynamic terrain for multiple rounds, so I’m trying to dial in a set of house rules that would let them wreck shop on some TIE Fighters in an asteroid field or capital ship debris field without forcing the pilots to make a Piloting check every other round; that said, I still want there to be consequences for remaining in that terrain.

Here’s what I’m thinking: before entering the active terrain, the Pilot makes the check per RAW. If the check is failed, the Pilot has spent their Action for the round, but may still use the unused Maneuver to accelerate, decelerate, fly/drive to a different area spot in open space or perform any other maneuver. If they succeed, they may Fly/ Drive into the area, consuming both their Action and Maneuver for the round. With that initial success, the Pilot may perform both an action and a maneuver the next round, including performing the Fly/ Drive Maneuver without having to make a Piloting skill check. Furthermore, if the initial Piloting check yields 2 extra successes after the first, or either a Triumph or three advantages, the Pilot may exchange those for additional subsequent free rounds beyond the first, representing the Pilot’s ability to spot a clear path through the terrain at the outset.

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Edited by gtgauvin

Have you looked at the rules for this in Stay On Target ? If not, that's a good place to start.

I require the pilots to make a check every round that they're in the terrain, but not as their action. I use it similar to the chase rules; as soon as they enter the affecting terrain and at the start of any turn they begin within the terrain.

It's essentially a competitive check against any enemy pilots but with difficulty based on terrain and speed (as the formula you mention). Collisions etc are the consequence of failure/Despair/etc. Anyone who succeeds on the check may act normally in the round (with any applicable setback dice related to the terrain- though talents can remove these). They can fail a check (having a collision or other effect), then use a maneuver to exit the terrain and act normally, but then their enemy can act normally as well.

Also I should mention I've started using the Genesys vehicle rules a while back. They use the Dangerous Driving action to move through difficult terrain. I still require the "chase style" check but the Dangerous Driving maneuver requires any pursuers or enemies to make the same check or they are unable to target the Dangerous Driver.

Edited by FinarinPanjoro
Clarification

I do something very similar at my table, but with a much more relaxed ruleset. Rather then as a specific mechanic.

As long as the pilots succeed on the first check (using their action) they have made it into the terrain. I then use the results of threat, advantage, triumph, despair, etc. to determine if more checks will be needed. E.g. If the pilot succeeds but with threat then they might have to make the check in the next round as well. The enemy can spend triumph to mess with the player's piloting to force another check, etc.. I've also flipped dark side points to force additional skill checks in this situation.

We let the dice tell the story as much as possible at our table. It makes my job as the GM a lot easier