Omegaclone’s Terrain and Modular Builds

By Omegaclone, in Terrain Building

I’m currently building a modular Desert theme board that will double as Jedha and Tatooine. It’s in the very infant stages currently.

I want the components to all be modular and work with pieces placed on top of the tiles. Thus for I’ve designed 10 18” x 18” tiles.

I’m using 1/2” MDF board for the base, 3/4” x 1/2” strips for the edges and insulation foam on top of that.

More pictures to come.

YpR9SWk.jpg

Edited by Omegaclone
Grammer

A modular hill, scatter terrain, and rock outcroppings.

rnpOV0s.jpg vcgDpNr.jpg 2e9LsIt.jpg QH1JRef.jpg BpHqyoK.jpg

Looking good Omega. Are those barkchips for the rocks in the scatter terrain?

Look forward to seeing how it develops.

Look forward to seeing how this turns out.

@Thevshi yes those are Pine Bark pieces. With my Desert Planet board I decided to go with those and all other boards Forest, Snow, etc I’m going to use carved foam. You can get some nice cliff faces and large rocks that aren’t practical with Pine Park.

dLgrTaq.jpg Each tile is 18” x 18”

If you have ever played “Carcassonne” I modeled the plateaus at angles that match along two sides.

I’ll post better pics soon.

I have considered a modular 3x6 "Death Star" tabletop. Make a bunch of interior scenes and put a standard width hallway at the center of each side. Might be hard to store though... Use it for a campaign that takes place both above-world and dirtside. Try and sabotage the Imperial Star Destroyer from within so they can't get air support, or whatever, and have that spillover into the next game(s).

Exciting!

What are you using for the filler/molding stuff?

@CaptainRocket My house flooded last year in Texas and we are still rebuilding so mainly whatever building material I have lying around. In the past I’ve used smaller buckets of Sheetrock plaster hole fill...

The white is “Sheetrock Mud” the premixed kind that comes in 5 gallon buckets (maybe a little smaller).

The tan is wood filler, it’s the kind that comes out pink but when it dry turns that tan color. It’s called like plastic wood by Elmer’s. I’ll double check later.

Normally if I’m filling in gaps on the pink insulation foam, I’ll use: Light Weight Spackle. It’s light (for lack of a better word) and sands real well.

I’m at work or I’d take pictures of it for you.

Yeah, space/storage is definitely an issue. I have lots of building materials lying around (see previous post). This will be the only map I do this for, Desert theme. For my Forest and Snow maps I’m going to use Neoprene Mats. I saw a Lava one that looked cool too. I just don’t want to get ahead of myself before I actually finish something.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:36 AM, TauntaunScout said:

I have considered a modular 3x6 "Death Star" tabletop. Make a bunch of interior scenes and put a standard width hallway at the center of each side. Might be hard to store though... Use it for a campaign that takes place both above-world and dirtside. Try and sabotage the Imperial Star Destroyer from within so they can't get air support, or whatever, and have that spillover into the next game(s).

9 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

Yeah, space/storage is definitely an issue. I have lots of building materials lying around (see previous post). This will be the only map I do this for, Desert theme. For my Forest and Snow maps I’m going to use Neoprene Mats. I saw a Lava one that looked cool too. I just don’t want to get ahead of myself before I actually finish something.

Call me old fashioned but I still like plain old felt for mats.

Re: storage. It occurred to me the other day that I already have cool looking spaceship interiors in the form of all my IA stuff.

Also. I found your source of Heroscape grids. They released a MTG crossover game. They wanted to keep the pricepoint low so it came with a fold out cardboard hexgrid mat instead of a bajillion plastic hexes. It is discontinued I believe, since I got my copy at "5 Below", which is a US retail chain in which everything costs $5 or less. 5 Below really is the spirit of the old 80's "all for a dollar" store. Inflation has meant that keeping the $1 price point static has ruined the dollar store. But since they can charge more, 5 Below still has good (if 6 months out of fashion) stuff for peanuts.

Edited by TauntaunScout

We do not have $5 below in my area of Texas. I snagged one of those a while back at Walmart for $8.00. Neat little set up and it’s compatible with horoscope point system.