My Desert Table

By TauntaunScout, in Terrain Building

So this is my dream Star Wars arena that I've wanted since the 90's. Geo-Hex desert sets, plus a bunch of scratch build weird forests based on the old WEG illustrations. Built a foam and spackle house, plus a spark plug for the basis of a vaporator. Just like in the old D6 book! Pics cross posted from my army threads to get the table journal started. This will work as a desert very well but if I choose the right stuff to put on it, it can also be a forest or city table. To do this you'd need a Geo-Hex basic set plus a few spare flat tiles to make a flat 3x6 or 3.5x5.5 base, and a single rough hill expansion. Toying with getting a geo-Hex 4x6 flocked felt mat to free up flat tiles to make truly big hills, and/or, to more rapidly setup a table.

TkehVjb.jpg

BXo8QzS.jpg

House & vaporator closeup:

e51DpTA.jpg

Weird alien plants closeup:

MwJH26V.jpg

Edited by TauntaunScout

@TauntaunScout I’m not famaliar with the WEG book. Is that the West End Games RPG? D6?

I’m working on a modular Desert board with 18” x 18” tiles. I’m debating on using game mats for my forest and snow theme boards that will come later. The mats you’re describing do they have the hexagonal grids printed on them?

6 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

@TauntaunScout I’m not famaliar with the WEG book. Is that the West End Games RPG? D6?

I’m working on a modular Desert board with 18” x 18” tiles. I’m debating on using game mats for my forest and snow theme boards that will come later. The mats you’re describing do they have the hexagonal grids printed on them?

No they do not have a hexgrid on them. I think they do sell them with one as an option though, or at least they used to. All my hills and stuff could have had a hexgrid printed on them if I'd wanted. To be more specific, the grid as such that you see in the pics isn't printing, it's seams between styrofoam tiles.

@TauntaunScout right, I could tell those were connected pieces. I was mainly asking about the grid patterns because I play Heroscape from time to time and it would be way easy to roll a Hexagonal mat and places piece on top instead of building a board.

2 hours ago, Omegaclone said:

@TauntaunScout right, I could tell those were connected pieces. I was mainly asking about the grid patterns because I play Heroscape from time to time and it would be way easy to roll a Hexagonal mat and places piece on top instead of building a board.

My wife made her own hexmap for Heroscape as she was tired of having to setup a whole big table every time. She figured out the size of hexes to use, and drew them on brown cloth with a sharpie. Then we just put down some extra tiles to use as hills. So it will work. The trick is getting a map the same size as Heroscape tiles. To my knowledge all the commercially available ones were the wrong size.

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 9:58 PM, Omegaclone said:

Yes, the West End Games RPG had a companion game called Star Wars Miniatures Battles with a fairly full range of 25 mm metal figures. It was (in my opinion) a pretty great game. Besides just being a wargame, there were rules to convert your RPG characters to use them in the wargame. The idea being that you could use the wargame either as a standalone product or else use it for playing mass battles in the RPG campaign. In fact, there are several scenarios in the game's scenario book (called Imperial Entanglements) that specify the need for a GM to manage some neutral participants or environmental conditions or other ad hoc game mechanics.

It was (and remains still) a great game.

Edited by Albertese
7 hours ago, Albertese said:

Yes, the West End Games RPG had a companion game called Star Wars Miniatures Battles with a fairly full range of 25 mm metal figures. It was (in my opinion) a pretty great game. Besides just being a wargame, there were rules to convert your RPG characters to use them in the wargame. The idea being that you could use the wargame either as a standalone product or else use it for playing mass battles in the RPG campaign. In fact, there are several scenarios in the game's scenario book (called Imperial Entanglements) that specify the need for a GM to a manager some neutral participants or environmental conditions or other ad hoc game mechanics.

It was (and remains still) a great game.

Sorry I missed that question somehow. Yes, that about sums it up. It is very much a relic of its times: for a miniatures book to only have grainy black and white photos (other than the cover) is unthinkable today. But it was a great game, and a great line of metal figures.

I just flipped through my copy the other day. Good stuff. I might try it out with my legion models some time.

On 10/9/2018 at 10:21 AM, Sharkbelly said:

I just flipped through my copy the other day. Good stuff. I might try it out with my legion models some time.

A Legion collection would convert over to WEG rules pretty well. Both games use similar size collections of minis. And the WEG one was very free and easy about unit size. Roughly speaking, to fully explore SWMB you need 30 stormtroopers, 30 rebels, a vehicle or 3, and a handful of interesting looking figures to use as heroes and stuff. There is no real place for main movie characters in it, though technically it's possible to include them. RPG stats for movie characters were published for the curious, and converting RPG stats to miniatures stats was easy.

There are virtually no force organization rules. You don't need any heroes if you don't want them, etc.

Edited by TauntaunScout

Agreed. Very adaptable. You could bring in other minis as well, such as orcs for Gamorreans, etc.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:00 PM, Sharkbelly said:

Agreed. Very adaptable. You could bring in other minis as well, such as orcs for Gamorreans, etc.

Or the classic from the book. Any setting's fantasy lizardmen for a scarier looking tactical equivalent to ewoks! Bunch of planetary natives with spears and swords that ally with the PC's. Those are readily available to many players. Also WEG is base-size agnostic so some of the more scale-creeped Hasbro minis will work alongside one's Legion collection for playing D6.

That is such an interesting bored. ? ?

Love that vaporator, spark plug is the perfect base for that. Maybe it's time to change the ones in my car...

How do you make that cool looking Bunker. ?

Thanks. Both buildings are styrofoam covered in spackle and painted.

The grey bunker was a piece of packing turned upside down. An old lid was glued on top to hid a symbol of some kind and break up the flat roofline. The doorway was carved into the foam, a piece of plastic (cut from a butter tub lid) was glued in place to make a flat door. Parts of an Abrams tank model kit were used to make textural elements on the door.The foam surfaces were spackled and the whole thing was painted as you see it. I think I made it back in 1997 or so.

The brown farmhouse was made this year. It was a foam disc and foam hemisphere from a big craft store, glued together. Foam scraps were used to build up the doorway and 3 alcoves. Then spackled and painted.

Great work!

I am definitely taking your idea for the alien plants! That's really creative, I would never have thought of it. I'm working on an alien-jungle board and this is a perfect addition.