How does Return to Hoth hold up now?

By AphraFanBoy, in Imperial Assault Campaign

As the title says really - how fun /intersting a campaign is Hoth now in the grand scheme of things?

I've got Jabba and HotE and i'll be purchasing ToL soon. So just wondering if Hoth is still worth getting or if we'll find the campaign a bit lackluster after being spoilt with the last few expansions. ?

Cheers.

Depends, will you play enough campaign to finish all the other stuff? If so, more content is definatly worth it. It's not AS good as the new stuff, but its still good.

Looking back, I'd say that Return to Hoth was a mixed bag, missions wise. Some of my favorite missions are in it, but there are also some that feel ripped straight from the Core set.

Campaign structure is probably where Return to Hoth really hurts. The Threat missions are cool for a play through or two, but as a gimmick they eventually work against replayability rather than enhance (like in Jabba's Realm, HOTE, and arguably ToL).

I ran (as Imperial player) Return to Hoth this winter-spring, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I had heard a lot of negativity about the campaign beforehand, but it turned out really cool in the end. To be fair, we did play it pretty narratively/RPG-ish/free-flow, and I made sure the Rebel players had a strong grasp on the story and characters in it. I studied the missions beforehand and built my narrative around it, and it all progressed and climaxed pretty well. I should also mention that I "ran" two missions using @IanSolo_FFG 's story mods, which worked great! There are several threads on here discussing how to run RtH (and @IanSolo_FFG 's mods), and I highly recommend it.

All in all, we had a great time with RtH . I think Jabba's Realm is the only campaign that has worked better for us (although we haven't played Bespin Gambit or Tyrants of Lothal yet), and the figures, heroes, and cards that comes with it are all good, IMHO.

I don't think RtH was bad by any means, it just lacked a lot of the intensity of some of the other campaigns; because so many of the missions don't have time limits, which means the heroes don't often have many difficult decisions to make. It's also a bit weird narratively (being written around the Hoth scenes from the movies) but not much more so than the other campaigns, IMO.

Well worth playing IMO. I mean, it's more IA. What's not to like?

RtH is still my favourite campaign to date. I know some people have issues with it but I love it.

5 hours ago, Bitterman said:

It's also a bit weird narratively (being written around the Hoth scenes from the movies) but not much more so than the other campaigns, IMO. 

I actually thought it was pretty cool that we get a mission linked to ESB movie. Thematically it's the closest we've been from canon point of view without messing with it and I personally think it was a great move.

Now each time I watch that movie, during the battle of Hoth sequence, I can imagine Verana Talos being on the field Close-Quarter-ing snowtroopers! [\spoiler]

Yeah I actually do miss having the introduction missions being tied to movie scenes. It makes those missions a lot more immersive, especially for players new to the game.

4 hours ago, Tvboy said:

Yeah I actually do miss having the introduction missions being tied to movie scenes. It makes those missions a lot more immersive, especially for players new to the game.

I'd love to see a battle of Mimban mission sometime. I feel like that would be a good fit.

Just want to chime in that the Hoth interlude mission (Return to Echo Base) was one of our most exciting, tense mission we have played. It came down to the last activation, last roll to fire the canon - it was great.

I love the Hoth tiles, and some of the new mechanics of things being hidden offered a neat change. It’s probably not as good as Jabba, but as a poster said earlier - if you are really playing all that much campaign, then I think you would still enjoy it.

I really enjoyed parts of the Return to Hoth campaign, it has some really good missions. But it is uneven, the lack of a timer really hurts some of the others and subtrendy is right about the threat missions in my opinion. The heroes are not a bad bunch, Verna is quite powerful when built well combined with a hero or two that don't need too much gear and MHD-19 can be quite a useful support in the right circumstances. Loku has not been played so far, so I can't comment on him.

The imperial units are not the greatest. Snowtroopers are not bad, but eSnowtroopers are generally spoilers with the Focus, Weaken surge being the go to option and I'm not that fond of weaken. They are also the empires only troopers without a damage surge. I'd take them over Wing Guards for thematic reasons and arguably Heavy Troopers numbers and speed makes them worse, but they don't really make it to the table unless they are required. HK Assassin droids can be effective against white die heroes, but they are very expensive compared to the imperial units in the other expansions and hard to keep alive. No one seems to like the tank. For us it has only been deployed when it is listed, The AT-ST is more fun if not really cost effective and the AT-DP is cheaper and much better. For me Wampas are really awsome when they are thematically credible, but really annoying when they aren't. If that does not bother you then they are an unqualified plus. as for the villains Sorin is last on my list of campaign antagonists, is not a good option as a villain but has been useful for us as a unique imperial officer proxy. Dengar has never really appealed to me. I skipped getting him and use IG-88 or Bossk on the board while using his card. That worked fine for us.

Equipment wise Return to Hoth has one really good card, some situational ones and some pretty bad ones. I'd say the Valken-38 Carbine is the best gun for the majority of ranged heroes (Jyn and Verna need pistols and Mak may be better served by the sniper rifle). Concussion Grenades are ok, but it would need to be a pretty bad draw for you to get them over other tier three gear. Vibro Generator might be useful on the Force Pike, the Ancient Light Sabre with the right hero or Ryyk Blades with the right hero. Enviromental Hazard Suit was useful on Dalia in Flight of the Freedom fighter, Stun Baton you might get if none of the better tier two melee weapons are drawn. Cybernetic Arm can be useful on a support Dalia, in the app campaigns in particular, where the imperials don't target her as much. The DDC Defender is not the worst tier one gun, it is a bit like the stun baton: it can be picked up if nothing better is available. The Under-Barrel HH-4 is very powerful on Fenn, but I wouldn't bother with it for the other heroes. The Vibroknife is pretty much a dead draw.

All the crate cards are good in my opinion. Artificial Stimulants is four strain for free. As it is a medical card with MHD-19 you can find it and hand it out to the most strain intensive hero in the group. Weapons Cache is +1 damage for four attacks by that hero or one standing adjucent to them which is really good. Grappling hook is free movement, it has always been used when drawn by us. Power Generator is situational and costs you 50 credits to use it, but there are missions where +2 damage and +2 pierce can be a big deal. I'd get Jabba's realm and Heart of the Empire before it (have not played Tyrants of Lothal yet), but if you will get through another campaign on top of those I would say it was still on balance worth getting.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Guess I'll just have to get it then it seems. ? Fears alleviated!