Newb here with a 2.0 question (TFA 2.0 core?)

By JustHangingOut, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

So after doing some research I’ve decided that I want my first x-wing game purchase to be the 2.0 since it comes out in a week or so. I only have one reservation.

now here is my question. I’d like to build a first order faction and a resistance faction. Will there be a Force Awakens 2.0 core set coming out that i should hold off for, or do I need to purchase old stuff and a conversion kit?

im looking to stay pretty conservative right now as far as size. I really only see myself playing with 2x x-wing’s, 1x Falcon, 4 tie fighters of various types. This way my wife and I can see how much we enjoy playing this before making it a total build war against each other.

with those thoughts, does anyone have any suggestions?

buy 2.0? Or wait for force awakens 2.0 (if that’s a thing)?

p.s. admins feel free to move to another sub forum if i’m In the wrong spot.

Edited by JustHangingOut

You're technically in the wrong forum but since Mission Control is basically dead it's not a huge problem. I have made the same mistake before.

Always in motion, the future is... there has been no evidence of a First Order and Resistance core. You will likely want a Rebel vs. Empire core anyway though, to get an X-Wing and two TIE Fighters and all the necessary damage deck and maneuver templates to play casual games with those ships you listed.

First Order and Resistance Conversions are your fastest way to get those ships, but you'll need to look for some of the first edition versions of those ships to convert, on eBay or on sale at a store. That being said, if you don't mind waiting, they will likely re-release all those ships in the next year or so. A conversion set for those factions is likely far more ships than you actually want.

So my advice to you if you want to take it slow and see if you like the game is to get two copies of the second edition core and the Y-Wing and TIE Advanced expansions, which here is about a $120 USD buy-in. That'll give you a full 200-point Rebel and Empire fleet (for the cheapest possible cost) that you can play with, and templates and damage decks for both you and your wife. Then when the First Order and Resistance stuff comes out, you'll be ready to see how deep you want to dive in.

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

So my advice to you if you want to take it slow and see if you like the game is to get two copies of the second edition core and the Y-Wing and TIE Advanced expansions, which here is about a $120 USD buy-in. That'll give you a full 200-point Rebel and Empire fleet (for the cheapest possible cost) that you can play with, and templates and damage decks for both you and your wife. Then when the First Order and Resistance stuff comes out, you'll be ready to see how deep you want to dive in.

Thanks for the reply! I just placed a preorder at a local mom and pop store in my area. I’ll probably pay more for the items, but I don’t have a problem supporting a local family run store with forking out a few extra “certificates of appreciation” to help keep them going.

do you know if the factions will be able to mix and play together against another mixed squadron? Like mixing FO with Empire to take on Rebels Resistance?

1 hour ago, JustHangingOut said:

Thanks for the reply! I just placed a preorder at a local mom and pop store in my area. I’ll probably pay more for the items, but I don’t have a problem supporting a local family run store with forking out a few extra “certificates of appreciation” to help keep them going.

do you know if the factions will be able to mix and play together against another mixed squadron? Like mixing FO with Empire to take on Rebels Resistance?

The factions will be completely seperate so for normal play, no they don't mix. Of course for casual play do whatever you want!

And yeah I buy most of my stuff at the local game store too. I play there all the time so it's nice to pay a little premium to keep them in business.