Figure and tile collections revisited

By TwiceBorn, in Mansions of Madness

I have played M&M 2nd edition, but don't own my own copy yet (hope to have it by Xmas, as I think my wife would also love it) and haven't had a chance to use the Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares figure and tile collections with the core box scenarios. I haven't played anything more recent than the core set scenarios.

After the release of the figure and tile collections, I seem to remember a lot of people being disappointed by how rarely the creatures/tiles found therein were integrated into other Mansions of Madness scenarios (core set and beyond).

Has this changed at all over the past year or so? Do the figure/tile collections now add considerable variety to scenarios both new and old(er), or... not so much?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

4 hours ago, TwiceBornh said:

I have played M&M 2nd edition, but don't own my own copy yet (hope to have it by Xmas, as I think my wife would also love it) and haven't had a chance to use the Suppressed Memories and Recurring Nightmares figure and tile collections with the core box scenarios. I haven't played anything more recent than the core set scenarios.

After the release of the figure and tile collections, I seem to remember a lot of people being disappointed by how rarely the creatures/tiles  found therein were integrated into other Mansions of Madness scenarios (core set and beyond).

Has this changed at all over the past year or so? Do the figure/tile collections now add considerable variety to scenarios both new and old(er), or... not so much?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Those two packs are worth it for the scenarios alone, I had a lot of fun with them. Each expansion, including the figure packs, include at least one scenario, while the big boxes usually have three scenarios. There's also 3 DLC scenarios that you can purchase.

From what I've seen, each time they release an expansion, the monsters and items and mechanics introduced in that expansion may show up in other scenarios. What they've also done is often added additional maps to the scenarios to use the new tiles.

so there's definitely a good reason to getting the expansions to unlock new scenarios and more options in existing scenarios.

I know there was a thread somewhere on this forum that detailed how many changes each expansion added to existing scenarios based on what expansions you have enabled in the options screen.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, neosmagus!

Good to know that they're worth getting... otherwise the price tag for the one scenario in each box would be rather steep.

If you are willing to give Valkyrie a go, the Figure and Tile Packs are worth it.

There are two highly rated scenarios that use these packs.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1916430/fan-made-scenarios-reviews-valkyrie

The fan written scenario Stress and Strain requires Recurring Nightmares

The fan written scenario In the Dark requires Suppressed Memories

The Figure and Tile Collections are fantastic. I actually bought both before getting a proper Expansion.

One thing that makes scenarios different is using different Investigators. Getting both packs ups your investigator count by 16, and some of them are amazing, and then you become spoilt for choices of Investigators.

Adding an extra scenario each is a bonus, especially if wanted to be able to play all scenarios.

Also, the tiles are brilliant, giving some scenarios really different looks or having events happen in a different place / room / tile.

The biggest change I experiences was Monsters. You could play the same scenario, but have different Monsters spawn, and sometimes more Monsters with lower Health or less Monsters with higher Health.

The extra Investigators, extra Tiles, and extra Monsters, really adds to the diversity of what becomes available in the scenarios.

On 9/2/2018 at 12:42 AM, Nicola Zealey said:

If you are willing to give Valkyrie a go, the Figure and Tile Packs are worth it.

There are two highly rated scenarios that use these packs.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1916430/fan-made-scenarios-reviews-valkyrie

The fan written scenario Stress and Strain requires Recurring Nightmares

The fan written scenario In the Dark requires Suppressed Memories

If I read correctly, Valkyrie isn't compatible with Apple/Mac?

8 hours ago, TwiceBornh said:

If I read correctly, Valkyrie isn't compatible with Apple/Mac?

I don't own a Mac or Apple but I believe you are correct about Apple devices.

The main issue with Apple devices is Apple have a payment licence system and I doubt if anyone will pay for a licence for Valkyrie as it's free.

[Added]

I believe Valkyrie does run on Mac PC's - the issue is that iphones needs a paid licence for the apps.

https://github.com/NPBruce/valkyrie/wiki

In the downloads there is a download for the Mac OS.

Edited by Nicola Zealey
Clarification

Thanks for the clarification, Nicola.