Explosive Success question

By daddystabz, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

For Explosive Successes: They allow you to gain a Success and roll another die of the die type it was rolled on. This added die you get to roll - does it get to be kept in addition to the amount of Ring dice you can keep or do you have to choose whether to include it in your kept dice or not? For example, if your Ring is 2 you would normally get to keep only 2 dice. But does the Explosive Success allow you to essentially keep 3 dice, one of which being the additional rolled die?

The extra die for an explosion is rolled and may be kept after you choose which dice to keep from the original roll.

You can choose to keep the extra die in addition your usual kept dice.

Note that in Beta, the timing for resolving explosions was after you decided kept dice and resolved advantages/disadvantages/voidpoints/other effects that modify your dice pool. While this might seem trivial, it makes a big difference when you are fishing for a specific result.

21 minutes ago, WHW said:

Note that in Beta, the timing for resolving explosions was after you decided kept dice and resolved advantages/disadvantages/voidpoints/other effects that modify your dice pool. While this might seem trivial, it makes a big difference when you are fishing for a specific result.

I am assuming the rule still works this way with the Beginner Game as well?

I haven't bought the Beginners Box yet. I'm planning on ordering both the Core and BGBox in one go, to reduce shipping costs.

20 minutes ago, daddystabz said:

I am assuming the rule still works this way with the Beginner Game as well?

Yes.