My First Impression

By Ishi Tonu, in KeyForge

From reading the various blogs, looking at card images and watching some early gameplay, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the design of the game. Mostly because it actually feels like something different. Now I will plead ignorance here if there is some other game that functions similar to Keyforge and I don't know about it. I've played a lot of games over the past 25 years, but, I don't remember one like this, and not just because the "unique" distribution model.

The gameplay does not appear to breakdown into the typical archtype struggle between aggro, combo, and control. For me, it's been a long time since I've played a game that didn't do this to some extent, which is why I'm finding Keyforge to be rather refreshing. Keyforge appears that it will be much more a game of a play and counter-play, that rewards a players ability to identify the strengths of their deck and implement their deck strategy to maximum effect.

I feel like this simplifies the strategic depth of the game, in a good way. Instead doing a bunch of metagame analysis and trying to edit your deck to account for the popular decks in the format, you really only have to accurately identify what your deck is designed to "do" and then decide if you think that is strong enough. And then you play! This seems great to me. I have plenty of games to play if I want to scratch that deckbuilding itch. As I've grown older, I simply want to play and I want as many people to be able to play with as possible. I think Keyforge is on the right track. The game is easily accessible and has a low cost entry point. The game design is somewhat basic, but, not bland, so this should have a great chance at gaining some mass appeal. It also looks like a game that could easily be converted to digital format. Overall, the game is very casual friendly

What about those looking to be competitive? Well, I think there is still a lot in store for them.

You still have to have card knowledge and, if decklists are provided in competitive play, specific deck knowledge and understanding. This is not something casual players tend to devote too much time to. So, players who want to be the best will now just be spending time learning the cards and looking to acquire decks that contain the cards that they feel gives them a competitive advantage. By not having to devote time to building and testing and acquiring certain cards, it makes the process somewhat easier and allows players that start off as casual to make a smoother transition to being competitive. I think this is key as many games seem to have their playerbase divided between the casual and competitive players which can lead to a bunch of senseless drama and ultimately hurt the game. The reality of any card game is that it needs both casual and competitive players in order to be as successful as possible and Keyforge looks like a game that will be able to bridge the gap between the two groups. At least I hope so.

There appear to be a lot of opportunities for a variety of formats. I really enjoy sealed deck and limited formats, so being able to show up to the store, pay $10 and just play seems very appealing to me, maybe even a little more with this game as I don't have to worry about people sneaking in cards and the removal of the extra time spent deckbuilding, sideboarding, etc. BYOD, Bring your own deck(s) format(s) should be a little more competitive as we'll see players who spent the time to acquire decks that are stronger and the increased level of play should be interesting to participate in. Maybe the OP rules will require you to bring more than one deck and put limits on how many time you can play the same deck in a match, or require you to add chains to the deck if you play it more than once in a match. Heck there could even be a constructed format opened up at some point as it only takes opaque sleeves to remedy the issue of different card backs, at the very least that could make for a pretty wild "house rules" format. I'm not even going to say the "M" word as there are probably already a bunch of people trying to find a way to play the game with more than 2 people at a time.

Overall I have to say I'm pretty excited to see where this game goes.

Edited by Ishi Tonu