New to the series

By sithvlad, in General Discussion

So I just started reading A game of thrones not too long ago and am halfway through it. I haven't watched the show at all and I am loving the book. Of course since i like card games this game has peaked my interest as well. So how much do I have to read and know about the game of thrones universe before I start playing either the card game or Game of thrones board game?

Hi there, welcome to the game!

The short answer is absolutely nothing at all. The game plays really well with limited knowledge of the books or show, but that said if you do have an understanding of who the characters and houses are that adds to the enjoyment. The game is based around the books rather than the show so you'll see some characters and events cropping up that haven't been done on TV. My wife plays the game and loves it and has only seen the show and not read the books though so again, not a big deal, just be prepared for some spoilers in the cards for later books.

The game itself is deceptively simple with its core mechanics but very deep when you get going.

Hope that helps! I haven't played the board game though I'm afraid so can't help there.

Edited by paulsutcliffe

The board game is balanced with five players... and... well five players... and that can be problem if you don`t have enough players to fill all the slots. The card game IMHO playes guite well from two to five players. Better with 3=4 though.

On 8/15/2018 at 11:04 PM, sithvlad said:

So how much do I have to read and know about the game of thrones universe before I start playing either the card game or Game of thrones board game?

Literally nothing. I don't like Game of Thrones at all, never really read past the first book and haven't watched the TV show in ages. I can confidently say that if I had never consumed any AGoT media at all, this would still be a great fun card game. At the very worst, some of the event names might be a bit strange and abstract, but nothing at all that'll compromise you enjoyment in playing.