Lay of the land and wind rune

By Xquer, in Runewars Rules Questions

What is the order of operations with Lay of the land and windrune?

If I trigger windrune: I do a shift

then have to trigger lay of the land or can I reform then trigger lay of the land?

I am pretty sure the "After" in lay of the land forces shift shift reform. Wind rune would need the "immediatly perform reform" to work otherwise. Wanted to get a consensus though.

I have heard both interpretations argued for, but here's my take.

RR 83.9 Timing: "If two or more of a player’s effects have the same timing, that player can resolve those effects in any order."

I believe this is a situation where both effects happen after the initial Wind Rune shift, so you are free to choose the order in which you resolve the remaining shift from Lay of the Land and reform from Wind Rune.

" After you perform a {shift} , you may perform a speed-1 {shift} . This {shift} may not be used to disengage. Limit once per round."

I would say with wind rune it would be {green} shift, 1 shift, reform.

{green} shift, reform, 1 shift would not satisfy the requirements of Lay of the land.

Edited by flightmaster101

Like I said, I've heard both interpretations. I was looking at this as a sort of "interrupt" ability, which may or may not fall into the rules of this game.

A point in @flightmaster101 's favor is 83.8: " An “after” event occurs immediately after the specified event and cannot occur again for that instance of the event. "

So if you did finish Wind Rune and resolve the reform, it could be argued that you couldn't then resolve Lay of the Land because it's an "after" effect, and must occur immediately after the Wind Rune shift.

Actually, since the reform on Wind Rune says, "Then perform a reform," I am now leaning the other direction. Since Lay of the Land uses the word "after," it actually does not share the same timing as the reform from Wind Rune, so it would have to be resolved first.

(I knew we had this discussion on the podcast, but I couldn't remember why we decided you couldn't shift after the reform, so I am glad we got to revisit this question. Thanks, Aaron.)

Also can you imagine how bananas it would be if you shift green, reform then shift again? Yikes.

2 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

Also can you imagine how bananas it would be if you shift green, reform then shift again? Yikes.

Absolutely! But it makes me wonder...when they designed Lay of the Land, and used the word "after", did they do that intentionally so that it wouldn't mesh with Wind Rune? Because Rules as Written, if they didn't use "after" then it would be the same timing, and the player would get to resolve in the order of his choice. Regardless, I'm glad the Rules Reference makes (some) rules questions easy to interpret.

5 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

That's literally what I was thinking of doing then thought, wait I should check this ruling.

Okay thanks @flightmaster101 and @Parakitor