Battlelore 3th: a new hope

By Chimonas, in BattleLore

I think it's time to move on. Since FFG isn't publishing anything else anymore for Battlelore I hope they are doing sth for a 3th Edition.

What's your opinion on this?

Even if BattleLore had a new edition, I'm not sure it would draw me in. Theme plays a major role in my gaming and I love Terrinoth. I would maybe consider a Star Wars version, but I really just want to see more Terrinoth. Case in point: the original BattleLore, the Game of Thrones version, and all the other Command & Colors games don't hold much interest for me even though I've now experienced how fun and exciting the core game mechanics are. But in looking at those games, I feel that BattleLore: Second Edition far improved upon those previous iterations.

Honestly, a BattleLore: Second Edition 2.0 would probably have the most appeal to me. I think there is a lot that needs to be looked at, from lore card templating and rules interactions, to faction balance and lore card costs. The more I play BattleLore: Second Edition, the more I see things that could have been done better. Don't get me wrong - every time I play it I have a blast. It is a very fun game. Yet, there are things that I think could have been done better. And most of all, I would love to see 6 factions for the game.

And why would a new edition change anything. They would simply redo the same expansions we have and then stop. If you're so content to burn your money … just give it to me :)

13 hours ago, Patrakis said:

And why would a new edition change anything. They would simply redo the same expansions we have and then stop. If you're so content to burn your money … just give it to me :)

Well, the crux of my statement is if they did a new BattleLore, I would prefer another Terrinoth game. As it is, I am already heavily invested in Runewars Miniatures Game, which is why I feel I'm unlikely to buy another BattleLore.

Edited by Budgernaut

If they reboot the line and they don't change the setting, no one will buy it: the idea of the current edition left open, without Elves, burned out too many people. If they reboot BattleLore, it has to be in a different setting (Rokugan for example) to have it sell

30 minutes ago, Julia said:

If they reboot the line and they don't change the setting, no one will buy it: the idea of the current edition left open, without Elves, burned out too many people. If they reboot BattleLore, it has to be in a different setting (Rokugan for example) to have it sell

Actually, I might actually buy into a Rokugan version, now that you mention it. The setting is very intriguing, but I still haven't bought any games for it yet.

The setting's great, and it'd be nice to have a bit of variety, especially in terms of boardgames (not everyone wants to buy in an LCG or an RPG). The one game we have set there is a nice one (if you manage to survive the rulebook)

Mu biggest reservation about an L5R BattleLore game is that FFG couldn't even sell enough to get 4 armies. It seems extremely unlikely that they could get all 7+ clans for L5R. Furthermore, people are so house-loyal, I bet there would be a bunch of people saying the same thing about this version as they did about BLSE: "Looks interesting! I'll wait until more factions come out before I buy in."

But perhaps they could get around that by having some generic samurai and archers that every faction uses but which have different colored plastic. Then they could make specific molds for the cavalry and elite figures that are faction-specific. Of course, they don't have to follow BLSE's system, so infantry-cavalry-elite-legend could get thtown out the door.

Agreed. They could also go back to original BattleLore idea of commanders (leaders? don't remember the name) to incarnate specific characters in the lore (and selling them as single packs). Ok, this sounds like another financial suicide for me :D :D :D Mabye it's better if this stays dead at its 2nd edition for a while more

1 hour ago, Julia said:

Agreed. They could also go back to original BattleLore idea of commanders (leaders? don't remember the name) to incarnate specific characters in the lore (and selling them as single packs). Ok, this sounds like another financial suicide for me :D :D :D Mabye it's better if this stays dead at its 2nd edition for a while more

Hey, if Game of Thrones got it's first full expansion ever, eight years after being released, maybe there's still hope for Battlelore ?

On 8/19/2018 at 7:17 AM, Budgernaut said:

Mu biggest reservation about an L5R BattleLore game is that FFG couldn't even sell enough to get 4 armies. It seems extremely unlikely that they could get all 7+ clans for L5R. Furthermore, people are so house-loyal, I bet there would be a bunch of people saying the same thing about this version as they did about BLSE: "Looks interesting! I'll wait until more factions come out before I buy in."

But perhaps they could get around that by having some generic samurai and archers that every faction uses but which have different colored plastic. Then they could make specific molds for the cavalry and elite figures that are faction-specific. Of course, they don't have to follow BLSE's system, so infantry-cavalry-elite-legend could get thtown out the door.

Yeah, you're probably right about the clan loyalty thing, that people would wait until their clan came and that would ultimately hurt sales.

It's just like me with the new RuneWars. I said I wasn't gonna play it until they released the Orcs of the Broken Plains, and now they don't seem to want to do that, so there goes my money.

And now...a change in the name of our forum.

At this point, we'll sooner get Half-Life 3 than an Elven faction.

I highly doubt that they'll make another battlelore game. The line's pretty much dead imho.

i will buy everything for this game. even if it will rate really low i will still buy everything. big fan of the game.

I best like the idea of an Elves and Orcs "second edition, second core" standalone box with a board, complete token set, and "overlord variant" rules that allow for a four-handed game in combination with the original 2E core box.

It's not a hopeless idea business-wise, even if it seems unlikely in terms of FFG's current business direction.

19 hours ago, Carthoris said:

I best like the idea of an Elves and Orcs "second edition, second core" standalone box with a board, complete token set, and "overlord variant" rules that allow for a four-handed game in combination with the original 2E core box.

It's not a hopeless idea business-wise, even if it seems unlikely in terms of FFG's current business direction.

The more I think about this, the more I love the idea!

The stupid thing is that you know they could at least break even on another expansion, it's just they don't want to make it for whatever "long-term" reasons aka they have a star wars quota

Picked this game up on clearance off Miniature Market. So fun, love all the mechanics. I immediately went and bought the app version too so I could play when my brother isn't around. It's helped my friends get into Terrinoth too (along with Descent). Now when I bust out a "Flesh Ripper" in the Genesys Terrinoth RPG, they will understand better than massacre they could bring :)

On 9/20/2019 at 7:52 PM, Jubez187 said:

Picked this game up on clearance off Miniature Market. So fun, love all the mechanics. I immediately went and bought the app version too so I could play when my brother isn't around. It's helped my friends get into Terrinoth too (along with Descent). Now when I bust out a "Flesh Ripper" in the Genesys Terrinoth RPG, they will understand better than massacre they could bring :)

Glad you enjoyed it. I just played again with my son tonight. It's such an elegant and good looking game. I'm not really fussed that it's dead and unless it's a particularly interesting setting I'm not likely to invest in another C&C based game

I'll keep playing with what I've got.