7th Continent?

By HolySorcerer, in Discover: Lands Unknown

So is this just 7th Continent, but with random components? That's certainly my first impression.

At $60 a box, it could be a very expensive re-imagining of the 7th Continent.

1 minute ago, ElderKoala said:

At $60 a box, it could be a very expensive re-imagining of the 7th Continent.

7th Continent was a KS Only €59 game that, with its second edition, totals to 250USD. I'm not going to jump to this being very expensive by comparison.

My concern is that 7th Continent, random events notwithstanding, is very structured. There is almost no narrative (which some people found disappointing), but it is a consistently grand experience. The game rewards you for exploration (although it sometimes bites you for that same curiosity), and the more of the continent you memorize and/or map, the better your footing for future curses (different missions).

It feels like a weird analogy, but 7C is not unlike Westworld. Just with substantially fewer human NPCs.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

7th Continent was a KS Only €59 game that, with its second edition, totals to 250USD. I'm not going to jump to this being very expensive by comparison.

My concern is that 7th Continent, random events notwithstanding, is very structured. There is almost no narrative (which some people found disappointing), but it is a consistently grand experience. The game rewards you for exploration (although it sometimes bites you for that same curiosity), and the more of the continent you memorize and/or map, the better your footing for future curses (different missions).

It feels like a weird analogy, but 7C is not unlike Westworld. Just with substantially fewer human NPCs.

True, but at the $250USD mark, I'd have to check my library but isn't 7th Continent at like 3-4 expansions, a small ton of backer only promo swags, etc. My point was if you wanted everything (like you get for the $250USD in 7th), with a UNIQUE game, it could become very pricey very quick. It was more of my collector's brain not being happy with the word "Unique" and then trying to figure out just how expensive all the biomes would be in one collection?

7th continent got excellent reviews, but it also was described as requiring a lot of patience and "not for everybody". Also, it is not available by standard distribution channels, and it doesn't get further translations.

The concept is intriguing, so this is a more accessible realization of the same general idea? That doesn't fail regarding depth of game-play? I didn't play 7th Continent. Is there a chance that another game can do well in this genre?

One could compare this to Descent (with App as Overlord), Gloomhaven, or the D&D boardgames, but those are all battle-oriented ... This game rather looks like a re-incarnation of classic point-and-click PC adventures?

A price tag of $60 for a modern game is standard and reasonable. You would expect good-quality components and quite a few hours of play, minimum.

The 'uniqueness' idea fits the theme, but it is secondary. Main question: will game mechanics and story progression be successful in attracting players and keeping them engaged?

2 hours ago, Canopus said:

7th continent got excellent reviews, but it also was described as requiring a lot of patience and "not for everybody". Also, it is not available by standard distribution channels, and it doesn't get further translations.

The concept is intriguing, so this is a more accessible realization of the same general idea? That doesn't fail regarding depth of game-play? I didn't play 7th Continent. Is there a chance that another game can do well in this genre?

One could compare this to Descent (with App as Overlord), Gloomhaven, or the D&D boardgames, but those are all battle-oriented ... This game rather looks like a re-incarnation of classic point-and-click PC adventures?

A price tag of $60 for a modern game is standard and reasonable. You would expect good-quality components and quite a few hours of play, minimum.

The 'uniqueness' idea fits the theme, but it is secondary. Main question: will game mechanics and story progression be successful in attracting players and keeping them engaged?

The biggest quality of 7thC that makes not-for-everybody is that it lacks narrative. At least, it doesn't feed you narrative; the story develops as you play and you create the narrative yourself. Fans of choose-your-own-adventure books were expecting a story that was told to you. Instead, you're meant to develop the story yourself.

I think the genre is incredibly exciting. One of the things that disappoints me about the age in which we live is the lack of discoverable territory. Yes, there are plenty of places out there, and not all of them have been properly explored, but no one in the twenty-first century can take provisions and set off across an ocean without knowing, in general, what is in their path. 7thC truly is that experience. For a geek who no business setting off across uncharted terrain.

The story elements are a big part of what I think will make or break this game. The uniqueness, if people can get past the terror of new ideas, will diffidently be secondary. The story itself will matter. The neat thing about that story will be how different it will be when you meet and talk with someone else who's played it.

I'm waiting on my cousin to finish the first curse (mission) for 7thC so we can talk about it. However, when we do, it will have certain points where we necessarily had to do the same thing (enter a location, or grab the McGuffin). With this, the random everything will allow for distinctly different conversations.

"You played this game, did you cross the Saw Tooth Mountains to escape the Wolf Mother that had been following you since the Alabaster Plains?"

"What? No. I had to island hop to find a settlement where they sent us for Tuskill Root so they could make a remedy for our companion who had contracted Masyfer poisoning."