Replayable

By DrDevidents, in Discover: Lands Unknown

It’s not clear from the article, but I’d like to know if this game offers replayability or is it more like a one-and-done like T.I.M.E Stories or Dragonholt?

Agreed. I'm playing 7th Continent, and there was some speculation that this would be like that. After completing a curse (mission) for 7th Continent, you can play it again although you know how to do it. That said, there are 4 base curses plus 8 or so more, many of which add new sections to the map.

Edited by Duciris

FFG replied to me on Facebook and said that it comes with multiple scenarios.

Awesome.

1 hour ago, DrDevidents said:

FFG replied to me on Facebook and said that it comes with multiple scenarios.

Awesome.

Now THAT is a helpful selling point.

They mention 5 scenario per box. How much are these repayable that's the question

The preview article was quite clear on this point: " Every copy of the game comes with multiple scenarios, so like many of the components found in Discover , you never know what quests you will find in your adventure!"

1 hour ago, wirbowsky said:

The preview article was quite clear on this point: " Every copy of the game comes with multiple scenarios, so like many of the components found in Discover , you never know what quests you will find in your adventure!"

Until you've played each of the five scenarios once.

I don't know about replayability of the scenario, it's too early to tell. But there are books and movie that we enjoy watching and reading several time. It could be the case for those scenarios.

On 8/14/2018 at 5:52 AM, Xelto said:

At which point FFG's elite "fixers" break into your house and swap out the scenario cards (or possibly just hit you with a hammer until you forget how the game goes, if you object to that). Their customer service is second to none!

Re: the scenarios, I read in one of their articles that there would be 4 scenarios that link together to form a larger story and a 5th scenario leaning in a more competitive direction.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:52 AM, Xelto said:

And subdivided that makes it cheaper than 5 movie tickets which are, similarly, only useful once.

Wouldn't the replay be that of any similar game? Pandemic or Fallout perhaps.

4 hours ago, Amanal said:

Wouldn't the replay be that of any similar game? Pandemic or Fallout perhaps.

It depends on how integrated the storyline is to the game's enjoyment. It could be either like Pandemic (infinitely replayable), Pandemic Legacy (one and done), or somewhere inbetween.

I believe you get more than 4 characters also, so party composition can add to replay ability

On 10/24/2018 at 8:03 PM, sillywilly4 said:

I believe you get more than 4 characters also, so party composition can add to replay ability

You get twelve characters out of a possible 36 - looks like they're organized into specific groups of six. And the official instructions for selection are two to each player face down and you all pick your character without knowing which characters anyone else has.

You also get 2 terrain types out of a possible 6. There's a specific layout pattern overall for each setting, but the tiles are randomized to a degree when you lay them out and they start facedown, you have to explore to uncover them, so between characters and that there should be plenty of replayability. The scenarios objectives will remain the same, however, from what I've seen so far.

I sort of hate T.I.M.E Stories, but so far Discovery seems to have some more replayability than I feared at first. Or at least, I've played the first scenario with 3 different groups and I haven't minded resolving the puzzle each time, even though I've discovered the flow. My first scenario is in the desert, and working out how to follow all the steps without dying of dehydration is an... ok puzzle so far.

Considering how often I get to replay games, I think this might wear out only slightly before I would naturally not get to play it more, if that makes any sense. But weirdly, two of my friends have their own copies and I'm actually eager to play theirs to see what the differences in the sets are. So I guess FFG is doing something right.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:15 PM, ElderKoala said:

Now THAT is a helpful selling point.

It’s not clear from the article Vidmate iTunes Notepad++ , but I’d like to know if this game offers replayability or is it more like a one-and-done like T.I.M.E Stories or Dragonholt?

Edited by CELIYATSIA

Ok, bear with me. I happened into this forum while I have some downtime at work and I feel like this thread has not received a proper answer.

The short version: Yes I believe this game has a good replay value.

The long version:

I bought this game when it came out and promptly setup the first two scenarios, playing through them both. They were in my first biome (setting) which was the Valley. The other biome had two more scenarios, and the 5th scenario could be played in both biomes as a sort of competitive mode. I had a lot of fun exploring and figuring the scenario out. If I was to replay one of the first two scenarios here are the things that will be different:

The layout of the map will be different. The tiles have a number system to them and each number is shuffled up and placed face down in a set pattern. So the first time I played if I went west and discovered a water source, there's a fair chance it won't be there next time I play. Something else will be instead.

I'll more than likely have a different character.

The event deck will resolve in a different order. I can't remember if it's completely static or if some different cards are left out every play. To continue in my example, lets say in my first game I needed water early and it was great that I found a water source. Next time even if I found that water source early I might not need it right away and instead I need a food source - which again is also in a different spot. On your turn you are using your character's stamina to move and do actions, so that is impacted in that the event deck will restore your stamina differently each time you play, meaning what worked in your first game might not actually work in your second game.

Any combat encounter. This is probably a given as combat is resolved through dice rolling. This can change how the game plays out drastically given potentially brutal nature of the game. I don't think it's a brutal game but a poor combat encounter could make things significantly harder for the rest of the scenario!

Exploring in general - You might explore encounters you never got to because of their location on the map. Many map tiles have a space with a numbered explore tile that has a corresponding card in an encounter deck. However, even in the first two scenarios you won't explore them all. Some will simply be too far out of the way based on how the map got setup or how quickly you did or didn't reach your goals, etc.

That's just a few examples. Even if you got to the point where you know the scenario like the back of your hand and you know what each encounter card is and where you need to go and what each event card can do, each session of the same scenario is still going to play out differently due to the randomized elements. I think that's some solid replay factor.

Plus that 5th scenario is a competitive one so I think that always presents an opportunity for some replay.

I know if I got the game back out this week and played either of those first two scenarios again it would be like rediscovering the game as it has been so long since I played them. Plus there were two other scenarios I didn't even touch. If that becomes too stale, my FLGS has a copy on their shelf for open play and I have a few friends who bought the game too. I could just swap with them!

Hope that helps. I found the game pretty interesting and enjoyed my time with it for what it's worth. I might even get it back out this week now that I've talked about it at length!