Exploding success.

By bsmith23, in Legend of the Five Rings: The Roleplaying Game

3Im a little confused on the order of rolling and keeping.

Upon practicing, say 2W2B TN2. I roll and see an explosive success. Do I roll my explosion first, or keep my 2 first making sure I keep an explosion to roll?

Or does it matter either way?

Edited by bsmith23

You keep first and explode later. It does matter because Explosive Success is a fix Success but it can then explode into anything and not necessarily into what you want or need.

So now that i have rolled my explosion, do i get to keep them all or still go back to the original target number?

You keep 'em all.

Great. Thanks.

On 8/11/2018 at 3:29 PM, AtoMaki said:

You keep 'em all.

You MAY keep the explosions, unless compromised and they bear strife.

You are not required to keep the explosions. (Beginner box: Rulebook, back cover.)

Yeah, I remember something similar to that back in an older edition where a situation was more beneficial for one of the players to NOT keep all his eligible dice. Don't remember the scenario, just the conversation.

4 hours ago, bsmith23 said:

Yeah, I remember something similar to that back in an older edition where a situation was more beneficial for one of the players to NOT keep all his eligible dice. Don't remember the scenario, just the conversation.

Most obviously, if you don't want strife, you shouldn't keep the explosion results that include them, unless you absolutely need the successes or opportunity.

If you don't want to incapacitate, you might want to reduced damage, done by not keeping excess successes.

Edited by AK_Aramis