Early Favourites

By Matrim, in KeyForge

Just wondering if anyone had any favourite houses/ potential combos yet. From playing around with some of the publically available decks out there I can see why the four horseman are popular but good grief one of the TTS decks is really strong (doomwind) . Get the right combo and you can splurge 5-9 amber in a turn quite easily. At one point I managed 24 in one turn and if the deck had been exactly right that could have hit 27. I am using that deck as the one I give to people I am trying to demo to as it works beautifully in sync with the other parts.

From this I can guess how people will chase similar.

So that is just one combo structure that I have noted and it may be shut down easily enough by cards I do not know but I did wonder if there were any others people knew about.

Edited by Matrim

Arise can create some pretty silly turns in general. Arise + 3 hunting witches in Doomwind is ridiculous.

Edited by Ignithas

Where do you find the decks?

2 hours ago, tibia said:

There were a bunch given out at GenCon. Beyond that, you're waiting until 4Q 2018 for the official release.

FFG gave decks away at their Gencon 2018 In Flight Report.

I played my first game yesterday. It was so much fun I’ve been thinking about the game in general and my next chance to play almost nonstop since we finished.

My opponent had forged 2 keys and called check on his 3rd with 6 aember, I had also forged 2 keys and had 3 aember going into my turn. A couple of turns back I put Full Moon under Masterplan.

Full Moon says.

Play : For the remainder of the turn gain 1 aember each time you play a creature.

Masterplan says.

Play : Put a card from your hand face down beneath Masterplan.

Omni : Play the card beneath Masterplan. Sacrafice Masterplan.

I called house Logos and played Neuro Syphon first.

Neuro Syphon gives you an aember and says.

Play : If your opponent has more aember than you, steal 1 aember and draw a card.

That evened our aember at 5 and I still had six cards in hand 5 of which were creatures, including 2 Dr. Escotera.

Dr . Escotera says.

Play: Gain 1 aember for each forged key your opponent has.

I played all of my creatures (2 had Play : Capture 1) ending my turn 13 aember to 3. I forged my 3rd key at the beginning of my next turn.

I think Masterplan is an excellent combo piece with any number of cards. It has the added benefit of thinning your hand of a card you normally wouldn’t play that turn.

Edit: My deck was Logos/Shadows/Untamed. It has 11 creatures and 20 cards that gave me at least 1 aember upon entering play. It has 2 Masterplans.

My opponents deck was Dis/Sanctum/Shadows.

Edited by Starbane
7 hours ago, tibia said:

They are listed (with pictures) on the discord server.

Just realised my heights of Aember from doomwind is not possible due to the rule of 6. Re-appraising how that was earnt the max is possible around 10 after the Dis card sets up the combo.

I got a 4 horsemen desk as one of mine from the In-Flight report, and it's been a ton of fun to play. I didn't realize that card combination came up in another video online.

Seeing the 4 horsemen really got me intrigued about how the deck generating algorithm works. It sounds like it's a fairly sophisticated setup.

I've really enjoyed this so far. I'm a pretty casual player, but I've been interested in picking up a card game for a while. I'm intimidated by the cost of M:TG, as well as trying to catch up to all of the existing players. I tried Destiny, and liked it, but want interested in "keeping up" with released, plus checked out entirely with Podracing.

This game seems to me to be the perfect mix of luck and strategy. It allows new players an entry point at any time. It kills off the "pay to win" model of chasing cards. It also will probably give the card counterfeiters a hard time, which is good for everybody.

So far, two thumbs up.

When I saw that first Horseman deck I wondered whether they had a rule in place that decks should generate with all four. A deck with only one would be kind of a bummer.

Could be, also that would restrict to 4 max (1 of each etc etc) as having more than 4 would be painful to face..

10 hours ago, timhodge said:

When I saw that first Horseman deck I wondered whether they had a rule in place that decks should generate with all four. A deck with only one would be kind of a bummer.

That has already been confirmed, I think in some interview with Richard Garfield on Youtube. When you find one Horseman in your deck, you can be sure that the other three are in it as well.

The algorithm also puts other combo pieces in the decks. So if a card is included that let's you do some thing with some other card, this other card will be included as well.

From what I've seen so far: Yes, if you get Horseman of Pestilence (a rare #248) then you get the other 3 from the special (Horseman of Death #246, Horseman of Famine #247, Horseman of War #249)

Edited by BountyIndy

I'd imagine you'd get mocked mercilessly by all the other kids if you showed up with only Two Horsemen of the Apocalypse. That's not very intimidating. Only 50% metal!

I'm of the opinion that decks with Logos (or any other house that can archive cards) in them will have the most potential for success. Archiving cards is what really pushes a player's ability to combo off.

If there is another house that does this, I haven't seen it yet, so for now I'd pretty much want all my decks to contain Logos cards to help me set up my big plays as this game seems much not about play and counter-play instead of the parity between aggro/combo/control archtypes.

Yes, from my limited play it tends to be enormous turns when either the hand has been populated the turn before by a 'return all creatures from a house to your hand' has been used allowing a splurge or lots of archives (archives also allow some of the specific situation cards to be stored and not just chucked as 'he doesnt have any martians out so thats useless) - the storing also prevents the card cycling back wasting a draw if it is truly useless as well.

I am getting impressed with purge as well, Had a test game against a horseman deck and managed to purge around 5 of his characters (including 2 of the horseman). At the end of the game he was desperately cycling for a character and not getting one so the reduction is also useful as a way of reducing the decks potency moving forward as well as preventing return or 'get a creature from discard' plays..

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:41 PM, BojambaMcMamba said:

I'd imagine you'd get mocked mercilessly by all the other kids if you showed up with only Two Horsemen of the Apocalypse. That's not very intimidating. Only 50% metal!

Yeah it should be either Death on his own, or all four, nothing in between. It's also silly if all four show up but one is without his horse. (Deadlands: Hel on Earth)

Edited by Robin Graves
12 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Yeah it should be either Death on his own, or all four, nothing in between. It's also silly if all four show up but one is without his horse. (Deadlands: Hel on Earth)

War was on his own and being a badass in Darksiders *shrug*

Death lost a game of Battleship to Bill and Ted, so................

Edited by Ishi Tonu

From what I've seen so far every house has some great cards and combos.

My favorites are Shadows, Dis, Logos and Untamed so far. I'll be looking for decks with any combination of those 4.

I have a deck I really Enjoy. It is called Atyla Farpad Wolf, and it is untamed, logos, and shadows. One card I really enjoy is fertility chant, I gain 4 amber, opponent gets 2. And I have bad penny and 4 pawn sacrifices that allow for some pretty brutal board removal. But as far as individual cards. I would currently have to say that sigil of evasion is pretty awesome. It just shuts brobnar down

Edited by MUTADEDHELIX
Typed wrong word