Each & Targeted

By Duciris, in L5R LCG: Rules Discussion

Three questions about Unleash the Djinn. It includes the text, "...set the MIL and POL skill of each participating character to 3...".

1st, it does not reference base values, so does this nullify the bonuses given by attachments? I understand if someone had previously modified a character's value(s) (say by the using dragon stronghold), this would take precedence and overwrite those modified values. However, if a character's value including its attachments is modified, what happens later if one of it's attachments is removed?

2nd, I need clarification with the words "each" and "targeted". The target of an ability is the one that was chosen, but does each have similar limitations? Does Unleash the Djinn affect a character with the attachment Above Question?

L5C01_141.jpg L5C14_120.jpg

3rd, now having formalized my first 2 questions, I now want to know what happens to a Seeker of Enlightenment while there are 4 fate on unclaimed rings when this is played. Does this trump her ability and reduce her from 5/5 to 3/3, or are her skills jumped from 1/1 to 3/3 and then her ability further pushes her to 7/7?

L5C01_59.jpg

I believe a character with Above Question on them would still be affected by Djinn, since it does not choose characters. As for how the 'setting to 3' affects other factors, setting is basically the last step in calculating the total value, and will overwrite pretty much anything else. If there's fifty fate on rings, Seeker of Enlightmentment is still 3/3. Honored characters that would normally be a 5/5 are 3/3s. Katanas don't count, Banzai doesn't count, etc. That's because in the final stage of the tally, there is a 'set to 3' mechanic. Note that it's different if it sets base skills to 3, because then they can be modified by literally any of that stuff, but Djinn modifies the skill itself, which is set and cannot be modified except by another set ability.

I'd get double checking on the confirmation for the Above Question part, though.

Correct with the Above Question question.
Djinn does not choose/target, so Above Question does not interact with it at all.

Secondly

• When a value is "set" to a specific number, the set modifier overrides all non-set modifiers (including any new non-set modifiers that are added during the duration of the set value). If multiple set modifiers are in conflict, the most recently applied set modifier takes precedence.

Anything not modifies a skill is a modifier, so unless it sets a skill, the last applied set will 'override' them all.

OK, that tracks. What happens if previous modifiers are removed (Fine Katana). Does the character drop by 2MIL?

No, it doesn't change. The game does all the math to calculate skills, then overwrites it all with ok but X=3.

Note - the only way around this is if a character is brought into the conflict (played from the hand, Charged, moved in, etc) after Unleash the Djinn is played. Their stats will not be affected by the spell.

"...until the end of the conflict." Man, I gotta learn to read more!

Well dang, Son.