Mad Max verse - The Outland

By Roderz, in Your Settings

I picked up a digital copy of Genesys a couple of weeks ago, maybe less, with the sole purpose of seeing if I could use it to create the world from Mad Max 2, Fury Road, and the Mad Max video game (I honestly haven't watched Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome enough for it to stick as well in my psyche but it probably should apply here too). I've probably watched Fury Road 20 times.

The key elements I was hoping to evoke are the visceral, brutal vehicular combat, and the gritty, desperate, forlorn landscape and personal struggles for survival.

So far I've spent a few hours on this and have worked somewhat on: Vehicle Types and stats (still got a few kinks to iron out in this area such as Defense, Hull Trauma threshold, Hard Points and Cost [I haven't touched the economy yet]), Weapons, Skills in use in the universe, Archetpyes (I've called these Birthrights to represent how the character grew from child to adult for example), Careers and Talents in use.

It's a long way away from something altogether useful, but I think it could make for a very fun game and setting. I'm creating the thread now in case someone has interest in it, and to canvas for suggestions of further items I haven't thought of, extra Birthrights, Careers, Weapons, Vehicle Mods etc.

To date I've decided not to use planetary scale. This means even a basic revolver would have a chance to damage a vehicle, but it would be chipping away for a while. I also don't like the idea of a vehicle weapon obliterating a PC in one shot. I think it'll also allow for an easier blend between vehicle and character combat.

I tried to come up with interesting Birthrights and Careers that were evident in the source media. Chumbucket is the Freak Black-Thumb, Max is the Nomad Wheeler, Hope is the Settler Camp Snake, Rictus Erectus is the Raider Warrior, and so on. Not that these analogies are perfect like with any RPG attempt at representing narrative characters.

Anyhow, plenty more to do but here is the WIP https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fl_ZOtSci2vtz_48NeqOh1SFR_9RZplz

Edited by Roderz
Updated Link

It looks good! I will keep an eye on this as I have always wanted to run a short campaign in a Mad Maz -like verse.

On 8/7/2018 at 2:04 PM, Roderz said:

The key elements I was hoping to evoke are the visceral, brutal vehicular combat, and the gritty, desperate, forlorn landscape and personal struggles for survival.

Mate to save time just say "Australia". What you say is always true; it's just the degrees that change.

42 minutes ago, Endersai said:

Mate to save time just say "Australia". What you say is always true; it's just the degrees that change.

Deadset, but I figured I'd have a go at yarnin' it in a way that even the non you-beaut cobbers might have a fair go at understandin'.

20 hours ago, Roderz said:

Deadset, but I figured I'd have a go at yarnin' it in a way that even the non you-beaut cobbers might have a fair go at understandin'.

Nice attempt, but I will put it is proper Aussie vernacular for you:

Deadset, but I reckon I'd have a go at spinnin' **** so that even you flamin' mongrels might have a good crack at understanding whats true blue.

Just for some cool/kooky background type info, you can look at the old Paladium TMNT/After the Bomb supplement "Road Hogs." It gives some interesting ideas, maybe not at Mad-Max-y as you're intending though. You can get it at Drivethrurpg.com.

Maybe also watch the Road Warrior, it would possibly fit into this genre! ;)

Is this still being actively worked on? Color me very interested.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:51 AM, Drax40K said:

Maybe also watch the Road Warrior, it would possibly fit into this genre! ;)

Unless I'm missing something, Road Warrior is what Mad Max was called in the USA for some reason. Another title is Mad Max: The Road Warrior. Rest assured, I've seen it.

14 hours ago, daddystabz said:

Is this still being actively worked on? Color me very interested.

Actively? No, it's been quite a while since I worked on this much. I would need to find a group of players interested, or more spare time, to do much more on it.

But it isn't dead. I also think I have done more since I posted that WIP though.

7 hours ago, Roderz said:

Unless   I'm missing something, Road Warrior is what Mad Max was called in the USA for some reason. Another title  is Ma  d Max: The  Road Warrior.  Rest assure  d, I've seen  it     .

Here in the US, there’s Mad Max (still the Cop), Mad Max: The Road Warrior (the one with the Semi) and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (Tina Turner). And then there’s the recent Mad Max: Fury Road with Tom Hardy.

All four, to me are good. :)

Id be interested to see any further development in this too. :)

These are the movies in the U.S.

MM Posters.JPG

14 hours ago, TCArknight said:

Here in the US, there’s Mad Max (still the Cop), Mad Max: The Road Warrior (the one with the Semi) and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (Tina Turner). And then there’s the recent Mad Max: Fury Road with Tom Hardy.

All four, to me are good. :)

Id be interested to see any further development in this too. :)

It certainly seems I got my Mad Max 1 and Mad Max 2 mixed up. Either way, yes, I've seen them all. Not that this is the place for such a discussion, but on initial viewing, I was not a fan of Fury Road. I soon worked out it was because I felt the star of the Mad Max movies, certainly 1 and 2, didn't get a great role, being the Interceptor. Once I got over that, I loved it, and have probably watched it about 15 times or so. Also, I've never seen that poster for the Road Warrior before, not that I've ever hunted them down.

So I've checked my WIP document and looks like I'd done some more since the first upload, including some text around the following. Keep in mind everything is in a various state of WIP: Currency, Armour, Gear, Landscape, Structures and Ruins including starting to look at Scavenging and Exploring, more text around Careers, a few Talents imported/adapted from Star Wars, and finally some text around Settlements.

I'd love to hear more feedback and to know if there is interest, might bring a bit more inspiration.

Also, if anyone has any further properties to take inspiration from, I'd be open to that too. Mad Max has traditionally portrayed a very barren, dry landscape, but I've recently encountered a few properties where that is less the case. Some that spring to mind include the video games Horizon Zero Dawn and Mutant Year Zero, the RPG (mostly the cover) Fragged Empire, and probably many more I'm not thinking of right now.

Let's call this WIP 1.01 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fl_ZOtSci2vtz_48NeqOh1SFR_9RZplz

I love the idea for this concept. I've been having a think about the survival aspect of this world. I was thinking that when outside settlements regular survival roles might be a good to represent the lack of water and the brutal heat. I live in South Australia and we are day 2 into 7 days of heat over 35 c / 95 f. So something would be needed.
How would you play it?

16 hours ago, jordythebevan said:

I love the idea for this concept. I've been having a think about the survival aspect of this world. I was thinking that when outside settlements regular survival roles might be a good to represent the lack of water and the brutal heat. I live in South Australia and we are day 2 into 7 days of heat over 35 c / 95 f. So something would be needed.
How would you play it?

I've started coming up with what I've called Barter. Basically it's just about anything that has value, including ammunition, fabrics, fuel, tech, water, and lastly gear (weapons, armour and items). I haven't quite included vehicles in that.

Without doubt it would relate to a Survival check. I'd also potentially look to allow for some kind of Navigation check, maybe to find your way to a remembered oasis or something.

The rules I've worked on for scavenging have so far been focused on structures. I think it should probably branch out into scavenging natural features such as valleys, mesas, or even just flatlands that potentially have scrap or hidden pockets that have collected water, or random bits of tech.