And what about translation and unique ?

By Elrad, in KeyForge

There we are again.

So Key Forge states that every deck is unique.

And I know that at least Edge is translating the game in French (maybe in Spanish, I don't know)....

Then....the 1B$ question is : how will they keep the unique aspect of the decks and the translation ? Because if they basically translate each generated decks, they have to translate the algorithm. No ?

Because if my deck in French has a twin bro. in Japanese and another one in English and in every languages the game will be translated in, the UNiQUE aspect of it will fall apart...

Well, maybe I'm oing ahead of myself a bit ?

Well, they've stated that theoretically, it is possible to get deck duplications. But with a mostly-random set of 36 cards, out of a pool of 350, the odds of duplication are so low that you might as well say every deck is unique. So theoretically, there may be a twin of your archon somewhere out there, even in your own language.

But here's the perspective: if we assume that 1/3 of each house are rare cards and one card per house is guaranteed to be rare (not facts I know, just guesses, but they should put a perspective on things), then the odds of duplicating just the three rares is 1 in (17^3)*35... that is, 1 in 171,955.

You don't have to worry about your archon being a special snowflake. If you manage to find his twin out there somewhere, he's going to be a super-special snowflake, beating those odds.

Edited by Xelto

The beautiful thing about algorithms is that you don't need to translate them. The important part is assigning the card their number. Numbers transcend language.

9 hours ago, Elrad said:

There we are again.

So Key Forge states that every deck is unique.

And I know that at least Edge is translating the game in French (maybe in Spanish, I don't know)....

Then....the 1B$ question is : how will they keep the unique aspect of the decks and the translation ? Because if they basically translate each generated decks, they have to translate the algorithm. No ?

Because if my deck in French has a twin bro. in Japanese and another one in English and in every languages the game will be translated in, the UNiQUE aspect of it will fall apart...

Well, maybe I'm oing ahead of myself a bit ?

They will probably make the point that a French card is not the same as an English one.

7 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

The beautiful thing about algorithms is that you don't need to translate them. The important part is assigning the card their number. Numbers transcend language.

This right here. They translate individual cards, and then print some of the algorithmically generated deck lists in French, some in English, some in Spanish, some in German, etc.

The real reason to be outraged over translation isn't that there's going to be a French translation of my deck (it's incredibly unlikely, just like it's unlikely there's an English twin of my deck somewhere)... it's that there's a perfect deck out there for me, and it might be in Portuguese so I'll never find it! ;)

21 minutes ago, kaffis said:

This right here. They translate individual cards, and then print some of the algorithmically generated deck lists in French, some in English, some in Spanish, some in German, etc.

The real reason to be outraged over translation isn't that there's going to be a French translation of my deck (it's incredibly unlikely, just like it's unlikely there's an English twin of my deck somewhere)... it's that there's a perfect deck out there for me, and it might be in Portuguese so I'll never find it! ;)

Sounds like the only solution is to buy a bunch of decks in every language they're printed in! ?

21 minutes ago, kaffis said:

You could always learn Portugese...

Bah MtG players know it, no ? I ended up one day buying a second (see third) hand deck in a shop and there was a mix of cards some in portuguese, some in japanese, one in Deutsch and one in russian or something looking like serbo-croat dialect... So I'm not against buying decks in another language...

Hum... Algorithm are not due to be translated....how nice...so they will procedurally generate a portion of decks in english, another in French, another in German and so on... that could be fun... and less problematic than translating all possible decks from English to every languages... Maybe they'll design factions for every languages after that ?