Your thoughts on a constructed format

By doulis, in KeyForge

So I totally dig the unique deck thing. I was just wandering, if there was to be a constructed format sometime along the way, would the community like it?

I think we would enjoy it of course, but as is, the game is attractive because it does allow you to play out of the box. Now I don't know how it would work... and how buying complete random decks will help toward it instead of standard boosters.

I think it could be enjoyable, but fist let's give it a try to the game as is. I hope it will be demoed in Essen.

Edited by Elrad
15 minutes ago, doulis said:

So I totally dig the unique deck thing. I was just wandering, if there was to be a constructed format sometime along the way, would the community like it?

I am happy playing Destiny for that aspect of gaming.

KeyForged appeals to me a lot as it is so different to the other games I play.

casual games would be fun to try and mix up stuff but I would never want to compete with customized decks given they would likely have the same or more problems then other games that are built for customization.

the custom format I'm most interested in is what I'm calling Archon Triad where you use three 12 card house sets as they were in the original deck. for example, the Brobnar from one archon, the logos from another archon and the untamed from a different archon.

Edited by TylerTT

Yeah, I'd be happier experimenting with different play formats than just straight up allowing construction like any other game.

Another poster suggested a fun format where you play your opponent's deck, for instance, which is enabled and not an experience in miserable trolling due to the rules already being executed behind the scene to govern deck construction and keep them mostly within certain power and playability levels. It would become a game about playing a blind deck and figuring it out on the fly, where you bring your most nuanced/pilot-heavy find and challenge your opponent to figure it out better than you figure theirs out on the first go-round. In any other game, it would just become a game of putting the bare minimum allowed resources into a resource-heavy deck, or assembling a lot of half-missing combos into a deck that just doesn't even work.

7 hours ago, TylerTT said:

casual games would be fun to try and mix up stuff but I would never want to compete with customized  decks given they would likely have the same or more problems then other games that are built for customization. 

the custom format I'm most interested in is what I'm calling Archon Triad where you use three 12 card house sets as they were in the original deck. for example, the Brobnar from one archon, the logos from another archon and the untamed from a different archon.

Archon Triad sounds really intriguing (at least if nobody buys 50+ decks).

my one potential concern for archon triad is players cherrypicking a bunch of maverick house sets as I get the feeling maverick cards are limited to 4 per archon.

2 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

my one potential concern for archon triad is players cherrypicking a bunch of maverick house sets as I get the feeling maverick cards are limited to 4 per archon.

If my guesses are correct, that's six per archon. They said the theoretical maximum for any single card is 16. You would get 12 of those through the house it's part of, and four through mavericks from the other two houses. So, in all probability, that's 2 possible mavericks per house—for a total of six.

a deck team covenant opened had three maverick cards in a single house.