Tales from the Madlands: Hawthornes last Stand

By Jukey, in Runewars Battle Reports

Latari vs Daqan today, I was hoping to play with Darnati today, but they haven't arrived at my local store yet....much sadness.

The game is demoralize their forces with unprepared, daqan with red side, latari with initiative.

My list:

198/200

Maegan Cyndewin [36] 1x1
Reaping Blade [4]
Martial Magic [3]
Total Unit Cost: 43

Deepwood Archers [30] 2x2
Dispatch Runner [7]
Tempered Steel [3]
Rallying Starling [4]
Simultaneous Orders [2]
Total Unit Cost: 46

Deepwood Archers [17] 2x1
Tempered Steel [3]
Total Unit Cost: 20

Leonx Riders [24] 1x3
Column Tactics [4]
Total Unit Cost: 28

Aliana of Summersong [33] 1x1
Packleaders Spear [8]
Ambush Predator [3]
Total Unit Cost: 44

Aymhelin Scions [14] 1x1
Vicious Roots [3]
Total Unit Cost: 17

@Conscientious Objector list

Oathsworn 3x3

Hawthorne, raven taberds, wind rune, MoI

spearman 3x2

Dispatch runner, rallying cornicern, a banner I don't recall.

3x1 crossbows

piercing strike, not certain what else.

Going into this battle I had concerns about the Daqan damage output. Combined with wind rune I had no hope of outmaneuvering them.

j8UxjMq.jpg

Deployment gave me a good rock fortress that would make navigating 3 wide trays difficult.

turn 1.

Daqan make an aggressive advance while my Latari scramble for defensive positions. Meagan finds herself in a bad spot facing high threat archers.

oQwhFZh.jpg

turn 2.

The oathsworn obliterate the lone scion, while the rally battery pulls the immobillize off. The crossbows inflict a wound on meagan. My archers use tempered steel to put a decent dent in the oathsworn.

BMr55CH.jpg

turn 3.

CO surprises me with a well executed move. He activates the oathsworn early, and wind runes into alliana and uses the reform to face her. The rally battery then dispatches the oathsworn to wreck alliana.

3dD5CHP.jpg

The cats tear into the flank of the rallyspear, which minimizes its losses with shield wall. Meagan takes 2 more wounds but pulls a sharp bank, locking antlers with the crossbows. The archers keep chipping at the oathsworn.

Turn 4.

The oathsworn shift sideways into the cats, who have mostly torn apart the rally star. Meagans moose (ol' watzizname) sweeps away half the crossbows, and the archers keep chipping while also dispatching the cats for a second attack.

BRgFm5g.jpg

turn 5.

The oathsworn wont go easily. They take two cats with a melee, and the spearstar gets one more dispatch to the knights to take another tray of cats. Meagan finishing fireballing the crossbows, the archers keep chipping the now 3 armor horses.

yNKhAwF.jpg

turn 6.

those are some stubborn, tough oathsworn!

51PSlD7.jpg

this is the end of the round picture.

CJoCgzV.jpg

Afterthoughts:

I was surprised at the added damage potential of tempered steel, need to keep using that.

Having more attacks can be better than having bigger attacks. While the oathsworn could kill any one of my units in one swing, they only could be used effectively against 1 or 2 units a turn. Just have to make sure you can do adequate chip damage if you bring small units.

Given the oathsworns limited mobility (we never learned to sidestep!), wind rune may be a pretty great upgrade. Smaller formations could be devastating with it.

I'd like to see a Daqan MSU build.

Thanks for reading!

11 hours ago, Jukey said:

Afterthoughts:

I was surprised at the added damage potential of tempered steel, need to keep using that.

Having more attacks can be better than having bigger attacks. While the oathsworn could kill any one of my units in one swing, they only could be used effectively against 1 or 2 units a turn. Just have to make sure you can do adequate chip damage if you bring small units.

Tempered Steel is my favorite equipment for archers. I think you'll find it's always worth its points.

Regarding small vs. big attacks, its something I've been going back and forth on in my head. I want to beat Uthuk with big attacks, but Corruption Rune locked down my 12 tray, much to my horror. I try small attacks, but it's akin to putting sheets of paper in a paper shredder one by one. So I'm trying to find my own definition for Waiqar's "adequate chip damage". I think 2x1 Reanimate Archers with Rank Discipline is the answer.

I found it thematically appropriate that you were disappointed by the late arrival of Darnati Warriors, and played the objective Demoralize Their Forces. Such sadness. Was there only one flank charges the whole game?

3 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Regarding   small vs. big attacks, its something I've been going back and  forth on in my head. I want to beat Uthuk with big attacks, but Corruption Rune locked down my 12 tray, much to my horror. I try small attacks, but it's akin to putting sheets of paper in a paper shredder one by one. So I'm trying to find my own definition for Waiqar's "adequate chip damage". I think 2x1  Reanimate Archers with Rank Discipline is the answer.     

I've been thinking about a dual 4x3 dispatch runner, cursed signets build. All uthuk can do is try to kill you faster than you kill them, granted, they will do an extra 2-3 damage an attack from banes.

Definately need rerolls for archers to be reliable damage dealers, I am curious though how effective blight is. I haven't played much waiqar lately, so haven't really tried it.

3 hours ago, Parakitor said:

Was    there  only one flank charges   the whole  game  ? 

Three actually, all from the leonx. They charged the rallyspear, knocked a tray off, and didn't close in, charged again, and a few turns later reformed to charge the last oathsworn on the final turn.

2 hours ago, Jukey said:

Definately   need rerolls for archers to be reliable damage dealers, I am curious though how effective blight i   s   .  

Parakitor took a blight list against me the other day. It took over 4 rounds for my 2x2 Flesh Rippers with Moment of Inspiration to kill a single Carrion Lancer. However, on the other side of the field, the three Carrion Lancers couldn't blight enough to stop my Berserkers and Spined Threshers. My goal was to get engaged as soon as possible so the Carrion Lancers' skill wouldn't work. It seems that archers are good at laying down blight, but the problems I see are 1) you never feel like you have enough archers, and 2) against Uthuk, the morale test for shooting into melee can be brutal.

Edited by Budgernaut

I expected that cavalry to shred you up, but it got pretty man(elf?)-handled!