Punishing skill...

By Krashwire, in KeyForge

13 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

Having no experience with TTP, but: could you alter the card backs so it's possible to "deckbuild"?

yes, it's possible, but I already play games where I have to construct decks. This game appeals to me BECAUSE I have to make do with what I get (well, and for other reasons, but this is one of them). So I won't be playing that particular mod that lets you construct decks. The Super Keyforge mod in the Tabletop Simulator workshop has added decks that are "real" though, which is interesting to try out.

Also, calling a game that has playable decks for $10 cashgrabs/loot boxes/slot machines is kinda silly. Clearly, the OP wants to construct his own decks and they have to be the best decks possible. Just as clearly, this is not a game like that. Let it go man. There are several ccg's/tcg's announced and/or released at GenCon (besides the already existing ones) that are probably way more to your liking. It's fine that you don't like how this one works, honestly, but don't try and convince others they should feel the same way.

So many of the criticisms of this game seem to boil down to "This game that states it is not doing these things is not doing these things!"

4 minutes ago, DailyRich said:

So many of the criticisms of this game seem to boil down to "This game that states it is not doing these things is not doing these things!"

Yep, that pretty much sums up all the complaints and criticism I've seen.

11 hours ago, netherspirit1982 said:

Yep, that pretty much sums up all the complaints and criticism I've seen.

Has anybody even complained about the rules yet?

2 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

They seem straightforward enough. I like the chain component being a method for gradually increasing the handicap of a deck vs a particular other deck (or even in a competition) and also the possibility of a bidding element for who gets to play a deck (eg I’ll play the deck we both think is better for 6 chains, I’ll raise you to 10!)

7 hours ago, Robin Graves said:

If not knowing what happens if you don't say check is a complaint then colour me purple and put me down as a complainant.

Just a friendly reminder - there is no obligation to buy anything, the games we play are our own personal choice.

The whole design of the game came from the desire to simulate Sealed format and the thrill of playing the best this turn, right now. Also the same principles for chaining that get bashed right now are designed to counter power creeping. As of banning - I haven't seen if there was a direct statement from FFG about that already so I can't say anything about it.

1 hour ago, Valdemart said:

Just a friendly reminder - there is no obligation to buy anything, the games we play are our own personal choice.

The whole design of the game came from the desire to simulate Sealed format and the thrill of playing the best this turn, right now. Also the same principles for chaining that get bashed right now are designed to counter power creeping. As of banning - I haven't seen if there was a direct statement from FFG about that already so I can't say anything about it.

From the game FAQ:

Are some decks stronger than others? What happens when a deck wins consistently?

Some Archon Decks in KeyForge will naturally be stronger than others, but every deck in KeyForge has value. First of all, every deck represents a chance to explore deeper into the world of the Crucible, potentially uncovering cards and combos that you never knew existed or have never played with before. Furthermore, just like any card game, some decks are better in certain matchups, and choosing the decks you’ll play is an important strategic element. And even if you and your opponent have decks that are less than optimal, it can be just as fun to swap decks and see what your opponent can do with your deck!

If a deck wins too often in an Organized Play framework, there are processes in place to handicap and eventually retire that deck. For more information on this, keep watching our Organized Play articles and announcements for KeyForge !

On 8/4/2018 at 6:03 AM, Derrault said:

If anything this might be the only card game outside of the old standards that actually depends on skill. Hearthstone and Magic are both almost entirely about deep pockets and net decking.

Yes, quite true in my opinion, if the deck is less of a factor, then your skill as how you play it will key and make the real difference...