Well, I'm back ...

By Stenun, in Arkham Horror

It's been five years since I have posted on FFG's site and what could possibly make me return after all this time?

Only the Big Beast Of My Gaming Life - one of the two games I have given my highest rating to on Board Game Geek (the other game is a non-FFG one so I won't name it)!

When I saw the words "Arkham Horror Third Edition" I was very happy. Then I read the article.

Now, I'm not going to judge the game before I've played it but my excitement over the announcement waned as I read on.

"Scenario based" ... characters removed from the game when reduced to 0 Stamina or Sanity ... no skill sliders (one of the biggest tactical decisions you had to make each turn in the previous game) ... pulling tokens out of a cup for the Mythos phase (thus reducing the extremely varied potential of what effects could apply via a bit of game text) ...

None of this sounds like the Arkham Horror I love. Which is obviously the point seeing that this is a new edition ... but maybe they've taken out too much of what made the second edition so good? I hope not; but I am unconvinced at this stage.

More info soon, please FFG!

Back in black?

14 hours ago, Stenun said:

It's been five years since I have posted on FFG's site and what could possibly make me return after all this time?

To complain? ?

9 hours ago, Slamin Perfect said:

To complain? ?

I didn't see any evidence of the OP "complaining" about anything.

Having some feeling of trepidation about a re-make of a beloved game is nothing to troll about. Being a long-time player and huge fan of AH 2nd edition, I share his feelings. FF would be better served with a reprint of 2nd ed with some minor fixes for some of the "clunkiness" that resulted from the glut of (awesome) expansions. This game should be treated like Talisman, and enshrined forever as it stands, with some slight changes. This is a re-make nobody asked for...

Edited by mfred29

I don't think anything should be enshrined and it is their creative license so I don't see why not. I'm all for experimentation and modernization and learning from previous design. I love AH 2e, but it doesn't mean there isn't a game that can be creatively similar that does the design better. And if they ARE that different, I don't see the problem. Just play them both.

4 hours ago, mfred29 said:

I didn't see any evidence of the OP "complaining" about anything.

My comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek about "... what could possibly make me return after all this time  ?" after just noting he'd had nothing to say about his #1 game for the last five years.

Everyone is of course free to feel however they wish about the reveal. I'm looking forward to more information.

Seems to make old good town exploring with more theme so... I am happy so far. The old 2nd edition has been idle in the game shelf a quite a long time so definely wanna try this version to see if it capture the old feeling with less hassle.

but interesting implementation in anyway.

Edited by Hannibal_pjv
typo

If you do wind up disliking it, then you can always just play 2ed. One thing to keep in mind is that FFG won't show up at your door and force you to switch to 3ed. ? The updates may make things easier to manage. Plus the modular look makes the board look like it can change without having to setup too much. If you think about it every fight against an AO is in a way scenario driven.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:01 AM, mfred29 said:

This game should be treated like Talisman, and enshrined forever as it stands, with some slight changes. This is a re-make nobody asked for...

Except that Talisman is not that great of a game, so maybe it's not the best example... :)

14 minutes ago, KBlumhardt said:

Except that Talisman is not that great of a game, so maybe it's not the best example... :)

Haha, agreed.

Also, the set-up time being decreased in 3rd e is more than enough to make me happy and more willing to drag it out. 2nd e is a monster.

2 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

2 hours ago, Soakman said:

Haha, agreed.

Also, the set-up time being decreased in 3rd e is more than enough to make me happy and more willing to drag it out. 2nd e is a monster.

Also, "enshrined" and "nobody can manufacture it because too many companies own the rights and they don't see eye-to-eye anymore" aren't exactly a 1-to-1. But, if Talisman floats your boat, I guess.

4 hours ago, KBlumhardt said:

3 hours ago, Soakman said:

Haha, agreed.

I own the 1994 GW version of Talisman, which is still one of the best games they ever did in my opinion.

I'm not racist, but...

I didn't vote for Brexit, but...

On 8/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, Stenun said:

Now, I'm not going to judge the game before I've played it but...

On 8/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, Stenun said:

Only the Big Beast Of My Gaming Life - one of the two games I have given my highest rating to on Board Game Geek (the other game is a non-FFG one so I won't name it)!

When I saw the words "Arkham Horror Third Edition" I was very happy. Then I read the article.

Now, I'm not going to judge the game before I've played it but my excitement over the announcement waned as I read on.

"Scenario based" ... characters removed from the game when reduced to 0 Stamina or Sanity ... no skill sliders (one of the biggest tactical decisions you had to make each turn in the previous game) ... pulling tokens out of a cup for the Mythos phase (thus reducing the extremely varied potential of what effects could apply via a bit of game text) ...

None of this sounds like the Arkham Horror I love. Which is obviously the point seeing that this is a new edition ... but maybe they've taken out too much of what made the second edition so good? I hope not; but I am unconvinced at this stage.

More info soon, please FFG!

Scenario-based: AH2 was also scenario-based; it's just that the scenarios were extremely weak.

Character death: What's the problem with this? It's not the same as player elimination.

Skill sliders: The concept of focus still exists, it's just implemented a little differently.

Mythos tokens: Text effects for Mythos events still exist in AH3.

If you were that concerned about these potential changes, the smallest amount of research would have shown you that most of your concerns lack any basis.

I hated the skill sliders in 2nd. My biggest issue with the game. Way too fiddly and likely to cause AP.

The Mythos tokens are to me an improvement - they allow for a wider range of possible results and effects. Also the scenarios seem to have a mechanic akin to Fallout's plot deck which can morph according to on board events. If so, the scenarios will have a lot of variation and in effect each scenario is really several scenarios.