RPG characters presentation.

By Tabris2k, in L5R LCG: Lore Discussion

In The Path of Adventure we get a look at the characters in the RPG Beginner Game.

Togashi Yoshi is a student of Tadakatsu, and had a non-approved relationship with another student, Kaie. He seems to share some of the Perfect Land Sect teachings (So this is why Tadakatsu has the Heretic trait). Yokuni personally ask for him to be sent to the Topaz Championship.

Isawa Aki is your typical shugenja, student of Isawa Juriko, a powerful Shugenja, said to become the next Master of Fire, but she died in an unclear accident. Oh, and Aki is very anti-PLS.

I like it that there’s a cause of conflict for characters like the PLS, because it can lead to very interesting interactions.

And also that they’re using the RPG to introduce more background for existing LCG characters, like Tadakatsu.

Edited by Tabris2k

I'm surprised PLS is coming up in the starter box devoted to the Topaz Championship. That's interesting. I was gonna buy the starter box anyway to read and get a set of the dice, but now I'm way more curious. PLS is coming up a lot in the story. I wonder if the PLS situation is going to reach a boiling point soon.

Don't we get a Dragon story this week? Maybe we'll get more about them in that. I'm really interested to see what these guys are all about since they're new (as far as I know) and I can't guess at their stories unlike Shadowlands and Lying Darkness.

@phillos , ditto.

48 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

Don't we get a Dragon story this week? Maybe we'll get more about them in that. I'm really interested to see what these guys are all about since they're new (as far as I know) and I can't guess at their stories unlike Shadowlands and Lying Darkness.

I believe they are new. The most recent pack fiction was about them.

Also, a new dragon story? Hurray!

From the last fiction's article;

Check the Fantasy Flight Games website every week for more information on Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game and Legend of the Five Rings Roleplaying! Next Wednesday, look for another short story by Marie Brennan focusing on the Dragon Clan!

As an aside, the art for all four characters is done by the same artist who has done both novella covers, Amelie Hutt.

https://www.artstation.com/smirt

amelie-hutt-dragon-monk.jpg?1525122782 amelie-hutt-phoenix-shugenja.jpg?1525122 amelie-hutt-lion-akado-bushi.jpg?1525122 amelie-hutt-crane-courtier.jpg?152512322

Edited by Duciris
Added awesomeness

Now, making the assumption that Togashi Yokuni is as wise and informed as he would have been in old5r. Why sending a pls member to represent the Dragon at topaz Championship?

Is Yokuni actually pro-pls?

Edited by Nitenman
53 minutes ago, Nitenman said:

Now, making the assumption that Togashi Yokuni is as wise and informed as he would have been in old5r. Why sending a pls member to represent the Dragon at topaz Championship?

Togashi always accepted anyone who wanted enlightenment and gave them his own name. The last pack's story had the PLS in hiding and expecting Yokuni to come after them, but instead when they mobilize they head south and leave the PLS completely untouched. Instead of taking this as a sign that they are not under threat in Dragon lands, they see it as an opportunity to engage in some insurrection it appears, losing a lot of the sympathy that I otherwise had for them.

So I think Togashi doesn't mind anyone's route to enlightenment (excluding something Shadowlands related I imagine) but the PLS are in fact a threat and not just some peaceful social movement.

19 hours ago, Nitenman said:

We have seen nothing so far saying that Yokuni is wise and informed, just prone to prophetic visions, I think.

18 hours ago, Waywardpaladin said:

Togashi always accepted anyone who wanted enlightenment and gave them his own name. The last pack's story had the PLS in hiding and expecting Yokuni to come after them, but instead when they mobilize they head south and leave the PLS completely untouched. Instead of taking this as a sign that they are not under threat in Dragon lands, they see it as an opportunity to engage in some insurrection it appears, losing a lot of the sympathy that I otherwise had for them.

So I think Togashi doesn't mind anyone's route to enlightenment (excluding something Shadowlands related I imagine) but the PLS are in fact a threat and not just some peaceful social movement.

The PLS to me feels like an amalgm of the Pure Land Sect and the various Chinese peasant rebellions, like the Yellow Turbans.