Clan of Saar construct space dock in Astroid field

By RoffeDH, in Twilight Imperium

I asked this on BGG, but everyone seems to be of the same mindset and nobody has given me a good reason why.

Title is self explanatory, but here's the rundown:
Clan of Saar's space docks says the following: "This unit is place in a space area instead of on a planet."

Construct (Strategy Card #4) says the following: "Place 1 ... Space dock on a planet you control"

So it doesn't need a planet to produce, but does it need a planet to be constructed?

I also added this comment later on:

I'm still not convinced.

It clearly says on the Saar sheet: "This unit is placed in a space area instead of on a planet"

For me that seems pretty clear cut since Construction says: "Place 1 ... Space dock on a planet you control"

Had Construction said "construct" instead of "place" then I would have been 100% on-board, but they both use "place".

Am I wrong? Anyone from FFG that can give me a help here? Is this something for a future errata?

Thematically it would make sense that one would normally need to be on or in orbit around a planet to construct such a massive thing but then there's the lore of the Clan of Saar living, and apparently constructing their first Space Dock, in an asteroid field.

Conclusion: I would probably cast my vote on allowing the Clan to place their Space Dock(s) in Asteroid Field(s) and/or Empty Space. Pretty much any tile they can legally enter and stay in.

Yeah, I’m not sure I see any reason not to allow it. I would say that you need a ship in the system, unless the definitions of “control” have changed. You can control a planet without having any units on it, but to control an empty system you need a ship there. But other than that, seems fine.

definition of control has not changed. it stays the same. and under control RR (24) understands only controlling planets.

i definitely do not see any point for discussion here: even Saar ability says "unit is placed in a space area instead of on a planet" and 4th SC says "on a planet you control" so making simple math we easily come to wording of 4.SC - " place 1 space doc in a space area instead of on a planet you contro l".

i frankly wonder how sometimes misunderstanding of clear wording happens. and how then it gets a massive support...

3 hours ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

definition of control has not changed. it stays the same. and under control RR (24) understands only controlling planets.

i definitely do not see any point for discussion here: even Saar ability says "unit is placed in a space area instead of on a planet" and 4th SC says "on a planet you control" so making simple math we easily come to wording of 4.SC - " place 1 space doc in a space area instead of on a planet you contro l  ".

i frankly wonder how sometimes misunderstanding of clear wording happens. and how then it gets a massive support...

It's the "instead of on a planet you control" that is creating the issue. I don't see how you can claim that the wording is so clear that you're bordering on calling people stupid

1 hour ago, RoffeDH said:

It's the "instead of on a planet you control" that is creating the issue. I don't see how you can claim that the wording is so clear that you're bordering on calling people stupid

Actually "instead of on a planet you control" it is already the 4.SC

so i do not see how it might create any issue.

since after game setup the only way to use Saar's Space Dock special ability is using Construction card.

So actually as Saar ability so the SC says "a planet you control".

"instead" just means that you are not placing SD on a planet you control but to space area - and you definitely control a planet first.

i hope it helps to come to our mutual understanding of the case.

1 hour ago, RoffeDH said:

I don't see how you can claim that the wording is so clear that you're bordering on calling people stupid

No offense mate, i just cannot get how your logic works. as soon i understand it I would be more efficient with assistance here.

5 minutes ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

Actually "instead of on a planet you control" it is already the 4.SC

so i do not see how it might create any issue.

since after game setup the only way to use Saar's Space Dock special ability is using Construction card.

So actually as Saar ability so the SC says "a planet you control".

"instead" just means that you are not placing SD on a planet you control but to space area - and you definitely control a planet first.

i hope it helps to come to our mutual understanding of the case.

I think there's a language barrier going on here. Or hasty typing. Either way I'm not getting what you're saying.

"Actually "instead of on a planet you control" it is already the 4.SC"
You're saying that Construction (Strategy Card #4) says "instead of on a planet you control"? It doesn't.

Again, language barrier? I'm not quite sure.

4 minutes ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

No offense mate, i just cannot get how your logic works. as soon i understand it I would be more efficient with assistance here.

I'm saying that you can't place something on a planet as well as in a space area. Thus you can't execute both at the same time. Thus you can't claim that the wording is really clear and means you can't build a SD in a system with no planets.

7 minutes ago, RoffeDH said:

I think there's a language barrier going on here. Or hasty typing. Either way I'm not getting what you're saying.

"Actually "instead of on a planet you control" it is already the 4.SC"
You're saying that Construction (Strategy Card #4) says "instead of on a planet you control"? It doesn't.

Again, language barrier? I'm not quite sure.

I say that they both describe the same game situation: playing SC#4

and they both trigger "a planet you control". thus no planet control - no conditions of SC#4 to be met.

I hope you wrote to Dane - he answers quite promptly. in few hours you will have an official explanation.

Edited by Ragnarwarbar
1 minute ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

I say that they both describe the same game situation: playing SC#4

and they both trigger "a planet you control". 

I hope you wrote to Dane - he answers quite promptly. in few hours you will have an official explanation   .

Thank you for clarifying what you're saying.

I don't agree with you here. The Saar SD clearly says "instead of on a planet you control" completely negating the SC.

Several people have written him about this, none have gotten back with the answer yet though.

5 minutes ago, RoffeDH said:

Thank you for clarifying what you're saying.

I don't agree with you here. The Saar SD clearly says "instead of on a planet you control" completely negating the SC.

Several people have written him about this, none have gotten back with the answer yet though.

Ok, lets go from another side. Lets assume that for Saar it is allowed to ignore common "a planet you control" rule. since there are no other requirements to be met we go to situations:

1. placing FF to anomalies.
  2. placing FF to systems with planets controlled by another player (even with units on them)
  3. placing FF to systems which do not contain a single Saar ship.

so lets assume in Strategic phase someone takes Construction. so Saar takes Trade and will go next. after Construction is played Saar puts its FF to someones home system. then next turn Saar uses Chaos Maping and places there dreadnought or warsun. system is blockaded and for this player game is mostly done since next turn he gonna definitely lose its home system.

this is way too much.

that is why "planet you control" is so important and thats why noone can build its SD outside its borders (planets he controls)

the only difference is that when everyone puts SD on a planet he controls, Saar put SD in a space area instead of a planet he controls.

hope it helps.

50 minutes ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

Ok, lets go from another side. Lets assume that for Saar it is allowed to ignore common "a planet you control" rule. since there are no other requirements to be met we go to situations:

1. placing FF to anomalies.
  2. placing FF to systems with planets controlled by another player (even with units on them)
  3. placing FF to systems which do not contain a single Saar ship.

so lets assume in Strategic phase someone takes Construction. so Saar takes Trade and will go next. after Construction is played Saar puts its FF to someones home system. then next turn Saar uses Chaos Maping and places there dreadnought or warsun. system is blockaded and for this player game is mostly done since next turn he gonna definitely lose its home system.

this is way too much.

that is why "planet you control" is so important and thats why noone can build its SD outside its borders (planets he controls)

the only difference is that when everyone puts SD on a planet he controls, Saar put SD in a space area instead of a planet he controls.

hope it helps.

While I agree with your interpretation of what this would mean for game play, I don't see how you get this from the text. HOWEVER! As I said earlier, the ruling has come down, the alternate interpretation isn't allowed.

16 hours ago, Ragnarwarbar said:

definition of control has not changed. it stays the same. and under control RR (24) understands only controlling planets. i

In TI3 you could control planets or empty space. If, in TI4 you can only control planets then it HAS changed, and that changes the equation.

13 hours ago, RoffeDH said:

While I agree with your interpretation of what this would mean for game play, I don't see how you get this from the text.

Since there are no other requirements to be met. Thus upon FF ability to ignor “control a planet” requirement, nothing stops Saar to build FF in other player HS (assuming there are no ships).

Edited by Ragnarwarbar

As RoffeDH had posted before, here is the response from Dane:

Can the Clan of Saar, when using Construction, place their Floating Factories anywhere on the board? Or do you choose a planet you control, and place it in the space area of that system?
The ability says "This unit is placed in a space area instead of on a planet." Some have interpreted that to mean that the part about Construction that says to place a dock on a planet you control is completely overridden, and that you can place it in ANY space area. However, it seems pretty obvious to me that it's the latter of the above; that you choose a valid planet, then instead of putting it on the planet, you just put it in that space area instead.
Dane wrote:
You still follow the rules of the Construction SC to the letter. Then, when you would place it, you place it in the space area instead. So while it is never placed on the planet, an eligible planet does need to exist.
Hope that clears things up.

The Floating Factory requires you to be able to completed the Construction Strategy Card FIRST, then when you would place the Factory it goes into space instead.

Fantasy Flight has worked hard to make things as painfully clear as they can for 4th ed. Because of this, you follow each step of the card/ability top to bottom.

Hopefully this has cleared up the issue.