Female Advice Required - Fashion

By Mythstar, in Game Masters

First time GM and Roleplayer here. (this post may take some time to get to the fashion help part...)

I'm running the EotE BG for my friends (2 married couples) via PbP (here's the link to the game: https://rpggeek.com/article/29057945#29057945 ). They have pretty much decided to dress-up Sasha, let her deceive/charm/seduce Trex, take him hostage and negotiate/force/ransom their way to get the part needed to repair the ship and fly off happily into the sunset. (as if I'm going to let that be so easy - EVIL GM SMILE!!!)

To do this they plan to buy what is needed from Offworld Traders to dress-up Sasha. I've already decided not to use dice to see if the items they need are in stock, instead I want to give them a difficult choice. Their money or their plan. To complicate matters further, I want to give the female Sasha player the incentive of an absolutely stunning "dress" - she needs to fall in love with it the moment she sees it (here is where the female advice is going to come in...)
So, they will have two options:
A disguise kit (which contains plain casual clothes, make-up, wig, etc) at a price (Negotiate roll) between 350cr and 500cr (so they still have enough to buy the Hypermatter part from Vorn if their plan goes completely out the window) which will give a boost dice to certain skill attempts.
OR
An absolutely stunning Tatooine fashion dress (as well as the usual disguise kit contents) that will give 2 boost dice for her charm/deceit tests at a price point of +- 1250cr. Here is my problem. I need a dress design/photo that will absolutely make the Sasha player fall in-love with the dress. She needs to be able to see herself in that dress, pulling off that scam, she needs to sooooo desire that dress that she is willing to use almost all their combined money to buy that dress. . .

Sooo, here is the part I need help with. I need a dress that is practical on the planet of Tatooine, feels Star Warsy and that any girl would absolutely adore.
So far I have identified two options: The white dress Padme wore on Tatooine: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/dc/Padmefull6Tatooine.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20071001000550
The handmaidens of Padme's Flame Gown also feel suitably desert themed.

Any help, critique, suggestions, opinions, etc would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of my depth... Help me, Girls of the Empire. You're my only hope!

Edited by Mythstar
Typo error for Dress Price (12500 instead of 1250)

only women know fashion?

Since I dont know fashion, I would say be careful, players are remarkably individualistic when it comes to any sort of choice. What the GM thinks is a sure thing is frequently not good enough to get the players interested.

Or basically, what you think may be a killer outfit may be a 'meh' to them.

Dont get me wrong tho. I love the idea of tempting players with choices that can just make things worse for them. I dont know if I could get any player I have to spend an extra 12 grand for a dress tho. Three or four maybe, but not 12

Two points...

One, clothes that add a boost die to a specific circumstance are an existing game element and generally run about 500 cr. An outfit probably shouldn't be giving more than that by itself, but even throwing in something like Fancy Jewelry (Friends Like These) to add an auto-advantage for another 2K doesn't come anywhere near that kind of price tag.

Second, if you want an outfit that the player will love, ask THEM what it looks like. They'll have a far better idea of what they think looks smashing on Tattooine than anyone else!

Edited by Garran

(Changed the 12500cr to the correct amount of 1250cr in the main post)

Mmm, you two have given me some food for thought. There is no way I can "force" a player to have some attachment to any random dress and no-one will spend sooo much credits on such a small boost without some emotional investment.

@Garran: we only have the beginner game, a downloaded cheat sheet and what I can get from a google search, so I make up a lot of the things on the go (LOVE how flexible the rule system is!). I'm pretty liberal with setback/boost dice so giving 2 boost dice (1 for the stunning dress, 1 for the disguise kit as a right tools for the job bonus.) for the dress combo is fine for now.

After spending some time thinking while writing this post I think I have a solution. I am going to get the Sasha player to go look/"shop" on the internet for a smashing Tatooine inspired dress. She will get to narrate the dress catching her eye IC as well as post a picture of said dress in the OOC (after which I will inform them of the price :D) . She will have spend time and love picking out the dress which would be the perfect emotional investment to tempt her into convincing the others to buy the dress.

I really appreciate the advice of you both! Thank you very much!!

Edited by Mythstar

This might seem a bit pedantic, but that dress Padme wore was not white. It was light blue . It only looks white in that picture because of the sunset.

pUn4DnC.jpg

An investigation to what Trex likes/wants in a female of his species maybe - preferred hair colour, build/body shape, intelligence level etc

46 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

An investigation to what Trex likes/wants in a female of his species maybe - preferred hair colour, build/body shape, intelligence level etc

Without such investigation, it's naive to presume that Trex even wants a female and/or a member of his species. He might be attracted to men, possibly of certain non-Trandoshan species... or he might even like droids in th hat special way.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:25 AM, Mythstar said:

First time GM and Roleplayer here. (this post may take some time to get to the fashion help part...)

I'm running the EotE BG for my friends (2 married couples) via PbP (here's the link to the game: https://rpggeek.com/article/29057945#29057945 ). They have pretty much decided to dress-up Sasha, let her deceive/charm/seduce Trex, take him hostage and negotiate/force/ransom their way to get the part needed to repair the ship and fly off happily into the sunset. (as if I'm going to let that be so easy - EVIL GM SMILE!!!)

I assume Trex like females...

21 minutes ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I'm thinking 1970s Star Wars not 2017 Social Justice Warriors Wars :D

Pssst.. People of alternate lifestyles existed in the 70s too .

But that's more than a little off-topic. HappyDaze has a point. Even under the assumption Trex is into Twi'Lek females, it would be smart to investigate what Trex's type would be. It would be a shame for Sasha to get dolled up, only to find out that Trex is into trashy women.

58 minutes ago, kaosoe said:

Pssst.. People of alternate lifestyles existed in the 70s too .

But that's more than a little off-topic. HappyDaze has a point. Even under the assumption Trex is into Twi'Lek females, it would be smart to investigate what Trex's type would be. It would be a shame for Sasha to get dolled up, only to find out that Trex is into trashy women.

I was thinking Wookiee women and that nasty rug on his ship is actually a cover he drapes over a droid.

2 hours ago, ExpandingUniverse said:

I'm thinking 1970s Star Wars not 2017 Social Justice Warriors Wars :D

You get that gay people play this game, right?

On 7/30/2018 at 9:24 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

This might seem a bit pedantic, but that dress Padme wore was not white. It was light blue . It only looks white in that picture because of the sunset.

pUn4DnC.jpg

video-206595.jpg

...sorry, I had memetic flashbacks.

Edited by penpenpen

I've learned 2 things as a new GM so far:

1) NEVER ever make a Gender based topic ? It will completely derail the conversation ? Though it was interesting to read everybodies input on Trex's sexual preferences. How I was going to handle the situation was quite simple... Trex is a slave trader, so while other people might have seen a pretty girl/guy/droid/etc as a potential lover/partner/etc, Trex sees them as merchandise. She would have been captured as cargo and the rest of the group would have had to rescue her. Her charm roll would only have determined the conditions as well as gear she was left with in captivity. Alas, that is never going to happen, which brings me to my second point:

2) All players are trigger happy MORONS who should just roll over and die! ? The have argued that in essence the plan is to kidnap Trex. Which can be accomplished for zero credits by just rushing the hanger. I am going to make them suffer for screwing up my perfectly planned adventure!!! ?