Force Speed special chaining

By Romike2012, in Star Wars: Destiny

If I am running force speed on Yoda, do I have resolve his specials first in the chain? Or can I use his die to focus a different charachter that I used force speed to activate?

Your action is to resolves specials. You resolve one die at a time in the order of your choosing till you say done(so long as they are showing special). You can use a Yoda special to set a force speed to special ( plus the other Yoda gain) and then resolve the force speed.

The key is the Action word.

Your current Action is to resolve specials, so you must resolve all of the specials you plan to resolve before doing another action. If a special tells you to take another action you do it after you are done doing specials.

Typically people resolve those last just to avoid any confusion.

So if I have two force speed dice in play, I can't resolve both of them at the same time since I would have to do actions in between?

No you resolve them both then take 4 actions.

Think of it like a queue. You take your normal action which is to resolve specials and resolve one force speed to get 2 actions. But since they are an Action and not just an effect that goes off immediately, they are added to the queue. You resolve another force speed special, again add 2 actions to the queue. You also have Yoda's special and you resolve that, modding a die to a side not showing a special and taking a resource.

Now you are done resolving specials and continue with the 4 actions from force speeds.

Its done this way to prevent possible cheating or some really shady tricks by doing an action within an action.

The same goes for other specials that give an action such as the Pirate Tank or Speeder Bikes. Except they also have non-action effects that go off so you do what you can and take the free action later if you have more specials to do.

This is why people typically do these specials last. Less confusing.

Ok ... thanks for the clarification

Sorry for bumping this topic.

Let’s say a guy roll special and something ealse with Yoda. He announce to resolve special and he use 2 availible actions on his special- discard and turn a dice. He turns it to special and resolves that special again. How??

You decide to resolve special so you choose your special dices and resolve one after another. But since you only have one, how can you resolve second special on Yoda if you didn’t have it when you were deciding what dices to resolve.

You don't have to decide in advanced what dice you will resolve. You just say "My action this turn is to resolve specials."

Then, you resolve a die (call it die #1) showing a special. After that, if you have another die showing a special (die #2), you can resolve that one. It doesn't matter if die #2 was showing a special or not before you resolved die #1, only that it's showing a special before you're done with your "resolving specials" action.

So if die #1 has a special that can turn die #2 to a special, you can do that, and resolve one after another. This is the definition of what's called "specials chaining". Great for dice like Yoda, Force Focus, Arihnda Pryce, and R2-D2 that have turning dice as part of their special.

Of course, the new Padme gives us the same thing with "focus chaining", where you can focus into more focus, then resolve it all as damage because of her ability to resolve focus sides as indirect damage.

2 hours ago, Fromper said:

You don't have to decide in advanced what dice you will resolve. You just say "My action this turn is to resolve specials."

Then, you resolve a die (call it die #1) showing a special. After that, if you have another die showing a special (die #2), you can resolve that one. It doesn't matter if die #2 was showing a special or not before you resolved die #1, only that it's showing a special before you're done with your "resolving specials" action.

So if die #1 has a special that can turn die #2 to a special, you can do that, and resolve one after another. This is the definition of what's called "specials chaining". Great for dice like Yoda, Force Focus, Arihnda Pryce, and R2-D2 that have turning dice as part of their special.

Of course, the new Padme gives us the same thing with "focus chaining", where you can focus into more focus, then resolve it all as damage because of her ability to resolve focus sides as indirect damage.

I want to clear something up with this: focus chaining is where you use a 1 focus to change a dice to a 2 focus, then resolve the 2 focus on other dice. That is extremely common.

The difference with Padmé is that when you are resolving dice showing focus as indirect, you cannot do so in the same action as resolving focus. In order to resolve those dice you have to take a different action, namely the “resolve indirect” action. So you can use her 1 focus to flip her dice to a three, then on your next action you can resolve indirect, and resolve the three focus as three indirect as well as any indirect dice in your pool.

This may have been what Fromper meant, but I wanted to clear up the distinction that if you’re resolving a dice as if it were showing a different symbol you have to take a specific action for that, you cannot resolve them as two different symbols on the same action. And this is the case for Luke3 and Phasma as well as Padmé.

You're right. I got that wrong. I probably should have thought about it and realized that's how it works, because I know that from other characters who resolve one symbol as if it was another (Luke and Phasma as you mentioned).

Focus chaining is still a thing, though, similar to specials chaining. Use a 1 focus to turn another die to 2 or 3 focus, so you can rig ALL your dice.