Forgotten Realms Genesys style

By gilbur, in Your Settings

Since I see no one has played around with Converting Forgotten Realms over to Genesys, I think I will make this a spot for my ideas for Forgotten Realms to Genesys. So come back and see what I have planned for the Conversion.

I will be adding the some more Races and adding Specializations to the Classes as I do like the Specializations for Classes and gives you more options for the classes as well. What do others think of this?

there have been some 5e and PF conversion discussion in the past, so you may want to look them up in the forum ...

(for some this might trigger an edition war tho, eg. 1st+2nd vs 3rd+3.5th vs 4th vs 5th edition vs Greenwoodian)

Edited by Terefang

As Terefang said, there has been quite a lot of discussion on adapting d20 settings and systems to Genesys. To my experience, the mechanical differences between any of the D&D/d20 systems is fairly minor and when adapted to Genesys, evaporate. Unless, of course, you actually want to essentially bring narrative dice to d20 which some have tried to do. Why one would do so is mind boggling.

If you like the setting of Forgotten realms, there should be little adaption required beyond what has already been covered in the forum as all setting are fluff. As I recall, there aren't any specific mechanical considerations that are unique to forgotten realms (or any d20 setting) that requires special adaption. As indicated in other threads, adaptation is more about capturing the "essence" of character, monster, etc. since mathematical conversion is not directly possible though @terefang provided an awesome spreadsheet providing his take on Attribute conversion which IMO works very well.

All you need to do is figure out if you want player races to be different from those presented in Realms of Terrinoth and determine if there is anything in Genesys/RoT books that you need to tweak to match your vision.

Edited by lyinggod
needed more wording

Thanks for the responses, will look into as i run my official terrinoth game for a friend of mine starting within the week. Will look into if i want to have different adaptions of the races as i will be basing it mostly off of the d20 system since i have those books and i got rid of my 4th edition books and could not really see forking out the money for 5th as i was already collecting edge/genesys books at the time...

1 hour ago, gilbur said:

will be basing it mostly off of the d20 system since i have those books and i got rid of my 4th edition books and could not really see forking out the money for 5th

3rd edition (and 4th to some extends) is somewhat harder to convert than the 5th edition because of the power creep issues,
but i wouldnt try to convert anything from before 3rd because of the missing stats on creatures (eg. attributes).

that said, some d20 monsters fit mostly into the minion/goon style of monster in Genesys and should be converted as such,
so dont try to be especially faithful to the original unless it is some rival/nemesis type "signiture monster" like a Beholder or Owlbear and somesuch.

i have had most success using ad-hoc mob/goon style rules for about 80% of the conversion process and than sprinkle some abilities or talents on top.

apart from the usual sources of talents like the CRB, RoT and the Expanded Talent Project, i have found the WOIN Bestiary a good resource http://www.woinrpg.com/search-bestiary/ but you milage may vary.

7 hours ago, Terefang said:

i have found the WOIN Bestiary a good resource http://www.woinrpg.com/search-bestiary/

Have you worked out a conversion system for this similar to your d20 conversion system or is it entirely based on "feels right"?

17 hours ago, lyinggod said:

Have you worked out a conversion system for this similar to your d20 conversion system or is it entirely based on "feels right"?

no spreadsheet yet ... sorry

but if you look at the attributes ( http://www.woinrpg.com/attributes/ ) they are very similar to Genesys.

My Vibes: :)

Attributes: i used the following rule of thumb to convert values:

1d6 -> 1, 2d6 -> 2, 3d6 -> 3, 4d6 -> (3+1), 5d6 -> (4+1), 6d6 -> (5+1), 7d6 -> (5+2), 8d6 -> (5+3), 9d6 -> (6+3), 10d6 -> (6+4)

with the +N indication N Tiers worth of extra Talents (to be assigned) representing high characteristic usage.

Skills: you can use the Nd6 -> N formula for skills or use the rule from above.

Exploits: i looked for similar ones in the CRB or WHFRP3 (E.T.P. was only in its infancy, RoT was not born yet, never had EotE)

Edited by Terefang