Maul shinanigans

By BaconMcSandwich, in Imperial Assault Rules Questions

A couple of questions regarding Maul that I was wondering about last night.

1: if I exhaust Maul when playing Take Initiative does he become impossible to kill that round? He didn’t resolve an activation that round. Yes you have exhausted his card, but that just prevents his activation.

2: the new command card in Kanan and Ezra’s pack Dying Lunge (its on FFG’s Facebook page if you have t seen it) allows a model to make an attack when its taken damage equal to its health before being defeated. If my opponent shoots up Maul so he will die after he next activates how does that interact with Dying Lunge?

A: DL can be played on maul at any time in the round (as he has taken enough damage). Maul is not defeated by DL as his card prevents him being defeated until after he has activated.

B: same as above but he is defeated as DL says so

C : DL played only at the moment he takes enough damage but still isn’t defeated.

D : DL played at the moment damage is inflicted and Maul is defeated.

E: Some other combination I haven’t thought of.

Any ideas?

Edited by BaconMcSandwich

1. yes.

2. Dying Lunge must be used when Maul has suffered damage equal to his Health. (Search rulings for Last Resort.) If Maul has not activated this round, he cannot be defeated from Dying Lunge, but Maul will be defeated at the end of his next activation (he has suffered damage equal to his health and he cannot recover damage).

Edited by a1bert

Cheers.

Would have erred on the side of using DL straight away. But would he be defeated?

I’d have said no, because Mauls card stops him being defeated if he’s not activated. But I can see how you could argue it the other way.

Edited by BaconMcSandwich
38 minutes ago, BaconMcSandwich said:

Cheers.

Would have erred on the side of using DL straight away. But would he be defeated?

I’d have said no, because Mauls card stops him being defeated if he’s not activated. But I can see how you could argue it the other way.

I think you might have some confusion regarding the trigger. DL can only be played at the very moment when Maul has suffered damage equal to his health. DL cannot be played whenever you feel like it, ex. Maul already suffered damage equal to his health this round but you don't have DL in your hand, you drew DL at the end of round, you can't play DL because you missed the trigger already

So the correct steps would be:

1. Maul suffered damage equal to his health not during his activation (the most likely scenario, ex. he got shot)

2. DL is played

3. DL resolves

4. DL says Maul dies, but Maul temporarily cheats death since he haven't activated yet

5. After Maul activates, Maul dies at the end of his activation

I believe this is what Albert was referring to above

DL on Maul gets a bit tricky if Maul suffered damage equal to his health during his activation . This will be rare but possible (ex. Maul attacked another Force User say Vader, Vader plays Deflection command card and blocks all damage). In this case it would be

1. Maul suffers damage

2. DL is played

3. DL is resolved

4. DL says Maul dies, Maul (still) temporarily cheats death

5. Maul dies at the end of his activation

Bottom line: "cannot" always override "can"

Edited by ricope

Just to round this off. If I put Last Resort on Maul, and have Dying Lunge in hand when he dies, I can chose to Dying Lunge first. Then Last Resort. Then Maul stays until his own activation (if he haven't done so already this turn). Right?

Last Resort and Dying Lunge have the same trigger, so you can resolve them in the order of your choice.

(And then, if Maul has activated during this round, he is defeated. Otherwise at the end of his next activation.)