New Asylum Decks are listed in the FFG shop

By SuperKalelJorson7, in CoC General Discussion

AMAZINGLY COOL ! All sorts of Asylum deck titles I have never heard before ! Thanks for posting this link.

chick

It's a little confusing - the list of the packs that form something called 'The Summons of the Deep' expansions for the CCG are here

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=11&esem=2&esum=84

But the one listed there as the fifth, The Thing From The Shore, is the one I've mentioned in another thread as being supposedly shipping in February 2009. Have things been renamed, or rescheduled, or will two or more sets appear in January alongside the new Core set?

the titles and artwork were spoiled some time ago

but the descriptive blurbs are new to me. If the descriptions

are accurate I wonder how focused the emphasis will be?

Developing cards for CoC seems to me like no easy task.

The cards must be flavorful and true to the genre or even

fit within an even more specific theme ('Masks of Nyarlathotep' for instance).

The cards' effect must be balanced to its' cost and should be worthwhile

but not overpowered. There should be synergy with other cards while avoiding

broken combinations. It seems the ante is being raised a bit by Nate and his team.

Each Asylum Pack release will focus to some extent on a specific aspect of the game.

Additionally the back story will be serialized and in the future possibly guided by

tournament/league play? Good luck! I can't wait to see how all this turns out! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Hybrid said:

The cards' effect must be balanced to its' cost and should be worthwhile but not overpowered.

there have been tons of overpowered cards i think, most of it seems to be from FC and after. im still waiting for the uber-historic discovery. pay 5 sack 2 characters win a story or something stupid like that.

It's called Worlds Torn Asunder, costs only 1 and it is from FR.

The six Asylum Packs are named:

The Summons of the Deep expansion to the Call of Cthulhu Living Card Game.

The first five have a “newfound emphasis” listed below in parenthesis. The sixth is not as specific.

1. The Spawn of the Sleeper (Terror struggle)

2. The Horror Beneath the Surface (Investigation struggle)

3. Antediluvian Dreams (Combat struggle)

4. The Terror of the Tides (Arcane struggle)

5. Thing From the Shore (character skill)

6. The Path to Y’ha-nthlei.

I am very impressed with the breakdown of the Summoners of the Deep expansion breakdown! How does an AP pack break down if it is constructed to emphasize, in order of release: T, I, C, A, and skill? Will the first pack (Terror) include only / mostly Cthulhu and Shub with a little Hastur and Yog mixed in? Will the second pack (Investigate) highlight Myskatonic (duh), sprinkled with Agency and Syndicate, with one Shub card? The combat is less easy to pick, though a guess is less Myskatonic, Syndicate, and Hastur. Arcane pack four will de-emphasize Agency, Cthulhu, and Shub? And what does pack five (skill) look like? Will the "new found emphasis" even mean more of one faction over another? How else do we go in that direction and not water down the faction differences?

Terror focused cards breakdown:

Cthulhu = moar terror!!

Shub = moar terror!!

Hastur = moar madness!!

Yog = moar cultists!!

Agency = less terror!!

Syndicate = moar willpower!!

Misk = moar rollover and die chars / attachments

Carioz said:

It's called Worlds Torn Asunder, costs only 1 and it is from FR.

yeah but you must have 2 of the 4 GOOs. really if you have 2 out in play youll probably win. so i dont think its overpowered for the cost, am i wrong here?

Hopefully we'll see more characters with struggle icon boosts. Syndicate could have an up for grabs hired mystic: TCAI. What about a misk yog steadfast III boost character? So far I'd say Yig has the corner on the terror ability. How can you beat that? How about a character with variable toughness, dependent upon other characters or C in play? What does skill do besides add up to story won or not? These are the things I wish to know.

The debate rages! Certainly this is the hottest topic on the boards. And why not? Six asylum packs worth of cool attributes to surmise. Can you picture packs with emphases on the classic cthulhu attributes - Terror, Combat, Arcane, and Investigate, and skill don't forget. My guess about more or less of a certain faction per pack may come partly true, but not as I suggested. Just as we've seen packs with a yog and mysk character more than the mean (Dunwich) and have a pack now (Ancient Horrors) with no neutrals and a variation on the distribution we've come to know about APs, that may well be what happens with the 6 new APs and their T, C, A, I, and skill themes each. BUT WHAT ELSE will they show to succeed this way? I speculated above. Hopefully, my inclination to guess without anything to go on will spread to others.